Fletching position.

I know this may sound like a bit of a dopey question, but here goes anyway.

Is there a 'correct' fletching position in relation to the end of the arrow shaft or nock?

How far along the shaft should the vane be?

I'm in the process of re-fletching my Navs, ready for outdoors & it just dawned on me...I've only ever had arrows fletched for me (When new) or used spin-wings.
Even though I've been shooting for two & a half years, I've never fletched arrows from bare shafts using normal platic vanes (I'm using X Vanes this time).

Could you help me out?
Cheers!

pyroarch57

Is there a 'correct' fletching position in relation to the end of the arrow shaft or nock?

I'm in the process of re-fletching my Navs, ready for outdoors & it just dawned on me...I've only ever had arrows fletched for me (When new) or used spin-wings.
Even though I've been shooting for two & a half years, I've never fletched arrows from bare shafts using normal platic vanes (I'm using X Vanes this time).

Could you help me out?
Cheers!
Looking at some of the pro`s setups I dont think it`s all that critical exactly where they are. I have mine as far back as possible for maximum steerage.

Exarcher

Could you help me out?
Cheers!
If you've got the time, it pays to experiment a bit.......:)

But in general and assuming good rest clearance, I think further back gives a more stable arrow. But depending on axle length of your bow, your D-Loop and your anchor point, don't position them so so far back that they contact your face. Which for most people is 1/2" to 3/4" from the nock.

Welsh Stinger

Talking to an archer who also designs aircraft he told me to place them as far back as possible, so I keep mine approx 1/4 inch from the nock.