Compound Bow Hoyt Ignite

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Well after a bit of research and asking around here, I've just ordered a Hoyt Ignite with a few accessories. I'm now quite excited!
Now to join my local club and have a bit of fun. Hurrah!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
The bow could be had as a package but I wasn't sure about a couple of options so ordered a Trophy Ridge biscuit rest, 5 Easton xx75 arrows, a Fuse 5 pin sight and a Tru Ball Stinger release aid. I think that's it.

However judging by the "welcome" I've got in the newbie section, I might not be in the right place.

dgmultimedia

Supporter
Supporter
Don't be too discouraged about this forum - the old hands around here have seen the enthusiastic "go it along" archers come and go with monotonous regularity - they are also very protective of our current unregulated status with a weapon that has the potential to kill bystanders, pets and even the archer that does not fully understand the raw power of a bow and arrow. The potential risks are high and everyone wants you and your family to get the proper training as soon as possible to keep you safe. Enjoy archery - shoot straight !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Well I've spoken to my local archery club and will get certified ASAP and probably shoot with them most of the time.
Wife's granddad also has a large field nearby which we can use so we should be okay.
No gung ho actions from me.

However I am a very experienced surfer but wouldn't come down on someone wanting to learn by bludgeoning them with how dangerous it can be, how many drown, etc; I'd offer advice on safety but that is all. I'd mostly encourage and enthuse.

Valkamai

Hi, I'm pretty sure that most of the advice you were given was meant well, tone is so hard to read on a forum sometimes. The fact that your seeking a club to join speaks volumes as to your intent, compared to some of the beauties who have posted stuff up in the past.
Hope you and your son enjoy your new hobby, it's actually great fun. And maybe stick around here as well, some of us smile occasionally.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Hi, I'm pretty sure that most of the advice you were given was meant well, tone is so hard to read on a forum sometimes. The fact that your seeking a club to join speaks volumes as to your intent, compared to some of the beauties who have posted stuff up in the past.
Hope you and your son enjoy your new hobby, it's actually great fun. And maybe stick around here as well, some of us smile occasionally.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk
It sounds like it can attract the "all the gear no idea" crowd. The same as my other passions - MTBing, and surfing. So I can see that the response can be sceptical but I am planning to do this properly.

I had a good chat with the club guy (an instructor too) who thought the Ignite should be fine but might need a few tweaks to set up properly. I'm going to contact him once it arrives and arrange to meet up then get a lesson or two and get myself certified to be able to join the club which sounds sensible to me. I wasn't planning on randomly shooting arrows into a field while hoping no one walked across my path...:bowarrow:

Anyway I'm excited; I'll be learning a new sport alongside my son (instead of teaching him something I already know how to do well) and it should be an interesting experience.

However with storm force winds and floods here (Cornwall) I do hope the weather cheers up before the bow and kit arrives!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
They've run out of black ones so I'm going to have to have "redneck" Realtree. I will look silly.

jerryRTD

A biscuit rest is usually used for field archery or in countries where it's allowed hunting. It will be ok for short range shooting but range and sight marks will suffer at longer ranges due to the drag of the wiskers on the arrow shaft. as for the 5 pin sight again it's ok for short range but longer ranges out side you'll need a sight with better adjustment and a scope. If you intend to field shoot then there is nothing wrong with your selection.
I would also put a long rod on your shopping list and three more arrows ( six to shoot two spares) and a quiver.

Last edited:

jerryRTD

The question you have ask is will the arrow be put off by the camo bow and thus miss the center of the target. Nothing else really matters.

jerryRTD

It sounds like it can attract the "all the gear no idea" crowd. The same as my other passions - MTBing, and surfing. So I can see that the response can be sceptical but I am planning to do this properly.

I had a good chat with the club guy (an instructor too) who thought the Ignite should be fine but might need a few tweaks to set up properly. I'm going to contact him once it arrives and arrange to meet up then get a lesson or two and get myself certified to be able to join the club which sounds sensible to me. I wasn't planning on randomly shooting arrows into a field while hoping no one walked across my path...:bowarrow:

Anyway I'm excited; I'll be learning a new sport alongside my son (instead of teaching him something I already know how to do well) and it should be an interesting experience.

However with storm force winds and floods here (Cornwall) I do hope the weather cheers up before the bow and kit arrives!
Doesn't the archery club have an indoor venue?

jerryRTD

Yes, I would say so. But it has to be set in the right place. This is one of those set up things that your instructor will be running through with you along with peep sight height arrow rest finding your anchor point and draw length.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, I would say so. But it has to be set in the right place. This is one of those set up things that your instructor will be running through with you along with peep sight height arrow rest finding your anchor point and draw length.
The friendly chap did mention that while the archery shop can do some setting up (draw length and pull weight), some things need doing in person so I'll get that done. Archery shops are very thin on the ground in Cornwall so it's a tricky one finding a good vendor.

He mentioned a D loop so I thought I ought to check it out - looks sensible and fairly straightforward.

jerryRTD

I have just had a good look at the specs of the Hoyt ignite and a couple of things do stand out . First the axle to axle length is 28 inches, this is very short and could cause problems with the peep sight. next why do you need a bow that adjusts so far in draw length & draw weight

Last edited:

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I had noticed that; I'll have to hope it's okay. It's sold as a package all over the World with the sight I've ordered so hopefully okay.

Out of interest, what would you all recommend?

jerryRTD

I had noticed that; I'll have to hope it's okay. It's sold as a package all over the World with the sight I've ordered so hopefully okay.

Out of interest, what would you all recommend?
There is a PSE Phenom ME cam model no. 1399ME on Ebay at the moment.It has 4 hours left and at the moment the bid is ?170.00. Normally I would not recommend any thing off Ebay but it looks reasonable the bow is draw length adjustable 25.5 to 30 inches draw weight should be 50 to 60 lbs which should not give you any problems especially if can paddle a board or a surf ski. and at the sort of price it should go for you can spend a bit on it like new string and cables . This bow will do you for quite a while. Do a search on 'compound bow' and if the price goes up to more than ?210.oo let it go.
You might also have a look in the classifieds on this site.

Weazle

I started just over a year ago with the exact same package you ordered!
Can,t say a bad thing about the Hoyt Ignite,the other stuff well I,ve replaced most of it now!
You will probably want a better sight soon & I would advise a HHA sports optimizer,excellent bit of kit ?120 approx.
After a couple of visits up the woods bending & breaking all your arrows you might want to invest in some carbons!
Easton powerflight are well priced,I use 500 spine with the Ignite set up at 28" draw length,60lb draw weight.
The amount of ajustment available with the Ignite leaves endless possible configs,fiddle with it until your happy!

jerryRTD

DO NOT buy all carbon arrows until you find out whether or not you will be allowed to shoot them at the club range where you will be shooting. a lot of clubs share grounds with other users such as rugby or football clubs, a condition of use of these grounds is that all arrows used are 'detectable' all carbon arrows at not and maybe band because of this.
DO NOT 'go down to the woods' unless there is a field archery range in the woods. shooting in an uncontrolled area means you have no third party liability cover.
As for the HHA Optimiser it is a good short range field / hunting sight but not really up to 70m to 90m long range target shooting so decide what you want to do before you spend your money.

Last edited: