Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoyt Mystic Rebel

Thanks

Question Hoyt Mystic Rebel

Good day to all,

I had a poorly advised rush of blood to the head this a.m. when I was still half asleep and about to rush out to work, and found myself winning a bid on eBay for a Hoyt Mystic Rebel compound bow.

I'm a recurve shooter, but the price seemed OK so I thought what the heck, I'll get one just for fun, and as a bit of a taster.
    From what I understand this bow is a Hoyt cheapie, and often seems to be used by Juniors( in which case I could dump it on my daughter, but she's too young for the weight I guess) - any help/information/insults and laughing about this purchase will be gratefully received.If it was a complete waste of money please don't tell the missus!

I haven't even been able to find anything on the web about this bow - is that because it is a total POS and nobody likes them?

Anyway have a on me
    Grumpy old man 'in training'

Thanks
    From what I remember, the Hoyt Mystic Rebel was along the same lines as my Hoyt Raider, which I was shooting back in 1995/6.

It's a good enough beginner's compound, although a little dated now, but there's nothing wrong with that. My Raider was a solid bow, and I got some good scores at the time with it.

Just watch out for teardrops - they're the little metal bits that hold the string to the cables - they're outdated and if they are worn they can be dangerous. If the Rebel has them then I would suggest you might get it re-cabled before it's shot, any good dealer will be able to help you, and it shouldn't be too expensive.

HTH xx
    When I find out who has my mojo....

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Good junior bow. Pretty basic (steel cables, etc) but usable and should give good service. I've got one in the garage actually. My son used it for a couple of years. Draw weight should be adjustable down to about 30lb (or maybe less) so it'll be OK for kids as young as 9 or 10 I should think, especially as it has round wheels which draw very smoothly.

Adam

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot. Kae's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Its got steel cables.

Steel cables = accident waiting to happen.

Because the steel is ensheathed in plastic, you can't see the state that they are in. These can and have cut to the bone when they break!

This is only my opinion, but put it back on ebay!
    If all else fails... Panic!

Thanks

Wink

Thanks for the supplied info you folks. I don't know whether to be terrified ,relieved or happy .

If I were having the cables replaced, any idea of what a shop charge would be for this?

Thanks again

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kae
    Its got steel cables.

Steel cables = accident waiting to happen.

Because the steel is ensheathed in plastic, you can't see the state that they are in. These can and have cut to the bone when they break!

This is only my opinion, but put it back on ebay!
    Fortunately the cables have long since been replaced twice with 'normal' cables. I'm looking forward to using the bow for the first time this week now that it has arrived. I will keep everyone posted (or not as the case may be)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast