Hoyt vs Mathews draw lengths

AlanKD

Does anyone have an opinion on this. I'm not sure if a general rule but pretty sure Mathews have a slightly longer draw measurement than hoyt?

Where exactly does each company measure it from on the bow? I've heard an 1.5 inches forward from back of grip or something.

Reason is i used to shoot a mathews icon, then bought a hoyt. Both had 28' draws but the Hoyt definitely shorter and needed to tweek it by quite a bit, others who drew the bow also said wasnt 28. I'm going back to Mathews now with an Apex but decided to order a 28 just in case the phenomena is true. Guy had a 28 i drew and seemed fine. Can always lengthen, but wondered if anyone has had this?

G

GuardianAngel

Does anyone have an opinion on this. I'm not sure if a general rule but pretty sure Mathews have a slightly longer draw measurement than hoyt?

Where exactly does each company measure it from on the bow? I've heard an 1.5 inches forward from back of grip or something.

Reason is i used to shoot a mathews icon, then bought a hoyt. Both had 28' draws but the Hoyt definitely shorter and needed to tweek it by quite a bit, others who drew the bow also said wasnt 28. I'm going back to Mathews now with an Apex but decided to order a 28 just in case the phenomena is true. Guy had a 28 i drew and seemed fine. Can always lengthen, but wondered if anyone has had this?
My Drenalin has a 27" cam, and when setup to spec (i.e. ATA, BH etc) the AMO draw length (nock point to throat of grip hole plus 1.75") comes out at ~28".

I know of other archers that have shot Mathews and have found that they come out longer than the cam states.

bassplayer34

Fonz Awardee
When I had my A7 the cam was a 27", when i went to buy a new bow I bought a Hoyt Maxxis 35, setup feeling the same draw length, the hoyt came in @ 28".

My A7 has 28.5" cams on, with correct ATA, comes out perfect at 29.75".

Tho my dad's C4 comes out correct. I heard it was just a few lines that were odd, but that's just a general thing I heard.

The Hoyt's measurement seems to be correct.

AlanKD

Perhaps its just on thhe odd bow here and there were it varies. Maybe cable twists and all that. Hoyt was definitely shorter, chap as quicks said was too, they measured it with their rod as well. But that was after loads of twists were added to the cables to lengthen.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Sometimes the strings and cables fitted to compounds are not the sizes stated on the limb, so the draw length doesn't match expectations.

pyroarch57

Yes, they generally come out 1/2" - 3/4" long. I`ve yet to see one that is correct.

archer_thom

How significant could the manufacturer's choice of string/cables be in this issue? Could it be solved by replacing them or is it linked to the cam?

Flying Whale

Yes, they generally come out 1/2" - 3/4" long. I`ve yet to see one that is correct.
The cynical amongst us might think it was so that the speed rating at any "draw length" looks better than it really is.

I can't comment about the other manufactures, since I have not owned or used bows by any company other than Elite. Their bows definitely used to run long. They have now made an open statement that all their current bows will be very close to correct AMO draw length. The bow I bought last year was within about 1/16th of an inch of what I ordered.

pyroarch57

The cynical amongst us might think it was so that the speed rating at any "draw length" looks better than it really is.

I can't comment about the other manufactures, since I have not owned or used bows by any company other than Elite. Their bows definitely used to run long. They have now made an open statement that all their current bows will be very close to correct AMO draw length. The bow I bought last year was within about 1/16th of an inch of what I ordered.
Yes, and the cynical among us would be more than a little p-----d off. I bought two cams trying to get the right draw length.:bang:

T101

out of curiosity i measured my Switchback and its reading 28.25, on a 28" cam and in perfect spec/tune, (the manual says nock groove of arrow to button plus 1.75"). old and well used cables though.

altering the string/cables in the past has got it bang on 28" and still in tune/spec everywhere else. i do think my Apex 7 was a little more wayward than this though. maybe thats part of the reason i prefer my S.B

pyroarch57

out of curiosity i measured my Switchback and its reading 28.25, on a 28" cam and in perfect spec/tune, (the manual says nock groove of arrow to button plus 1.75"). old and well used cables though.

altering the string/cables in the past has got it bang on 28" and still in tune/spec everywhere else. i do think my Apex 7 was a little more wayward than this though. maybe thats part of the reason i prefer my S.B
The trouble on the Apex 7 is if you want max poundage with everything in spec it`s not achievable without changing out the cams.

sunmouse

That has me thinking because my other half has always shot an arrow which was 29 inches long on his recurve.

On his compound he is now shooting an arrow which is about 28.5 inches.

His compound is a Hoyt AM35 which has just had the cam modules swopped around.

Weird.....

disbloke

Not Making comment on whether any manufacturer comes up short or long, but geometry of the bow will affect the "apparent" draw length. What I mean is that on one bow a 28" will be perfect and another it will be 29", but when checking the bows actual draw length they are both as stated, it's the geometry possibly causing a different length. And let me say again I'm not saying any of the bows out there meet the supposed AMO draw as stamped on the cam.