Junior compound

dth

Here's the thing..

My 8 year old daughter is still shooting the clubs training bows, she always wants to shoot as far as poss. so practices at 40 yds and metres(she'd go longer if we let her), but on weekend shoots usually no more than 30 yds / m. Should she go with a recurve bow when I get her her first setup, or should she push herslef and go with a compound.
People at the club and especially David her guru, think that she might potentially be a very good archer (he would know his daughter was a former junior National champ) so the compound although not usually the first choice for junior beginners could be the one to go for.

Until her technique is as close to 100% as a human can get we're not about to change the bow... but would welcome your thoughts one way or the other.

Obv. cost is involved, changes to compounds aren't cheap and she will be getting bigger and stronger all the time but, I would like her to stick with archery and as her dad would love her to progress to a level 1000 times better than me (something that she seems to have already acheived anyway)

Anyway - I'm gibbering and rambling - your thoughts please?
:faint:

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
Personally I'd let her shoot whichever discipline she prefers. There's so much pressure on children today and there interest can wain so quickly it would be better to shoot what she chooses, that way she might stay interested in the sport. Archers often have a biasis one way or another, don't let that influence her choice.

If she wants a compound you could go for a Hoyt model where you can adjust draw length eg Rintec and then have the poundage set at it's lowest. That way she can grow into it both draw length and poundage wise. You'd might want to speak to Chris Jones at Merlin as I think they do special deals and exchanges for childrens equipment. The Win & Win Maxtry is also adjustable like the Hoyt.

If you want a half way house between a compound or recurve you could look at a Genesis. Looks like a compound but with no let off it shoots like a recurve. She could shoot it off her fingers or with a release aid. These are used extensively on JOAD programs in the USA

Freakmode

Hi

My 8 year old son shoots one of these http://www.martinarchery.com/?page=bows&bow=tiger

He started by shooting it limited off his fingers but moved onto a scope and thumb release in a couple of weeks. He loves it because he can just get it out whenever and shoot it in the garden, no setup etc.

It should also last him a couple of years as it comes with a host of modules for adjusting the draw length etc.

Dave at Centreshot in Malvern sells them and provides good support. It is a very well made bow for the money.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Trying a compound would be a good idea so long as it is set up to suit her strength and draw length. If it is not well set up, it can have a very bad influence on the whole experience.

Sling-it

Here's my experience. I started my daughter at the age of 5. She took off like a rocket shooting fingers. The first bow was a good wood recurve. The next bow was an inexpensive compound to shoot fingers with (PSE Spyder cammo - so it would sell) After she set a state record and won several titles, I got her a target color, and she kept going. When she out grew it, I got her a Merlin Super Nova, with which she set two world records, and set astounding state records both indoor and outdoor.

Her coach and her decided it was time to go Olyimpic recurve, so we started the process over. Inexpensive bow (sammik Mizar), and once she's shooting it well, we'll move up in quality.

Go inexpensive and REAL adjustable. When you see the quality coming out, upgrade. Just don't go cheap on sights or rest. They'll transfer over, or go on your rig if she dives out.

jerryRTD

I agree with Whisky let her shoot what she wants. She is more likely to progress well if she has confidence and likes the bow she is shooting, so get her involved in the selection process. This is a learning experience as well as she will want to choose her own bows when she grows up. So internet search on all the likely bows and go out and try them. If she wants to shoot off fingers for a while well and good but unless she really takes a strong dislike of all release aids I would discourage her from continuing to shoot this way. There are not many people that shoot limited compound a correct coach and a good knowledge base are not available. After choosing the bow comes the release aid, this choice I suppose is almost as important as the choice of bow. I have no experience in this area I still shoot off fingers. As for general advice, make the most of this time, with daughters the first eighteen years are the most involving and when you look back they seem to have flown by.

Frommy

Another quality junior compound which is inexpensive is the Browning Micro Midas. Bags of adjustability in the cam (no modules needed). I think the downside is they do not come in target colours. Several juniors are shooting these at our club and I am impessed with the bow.

Brian

dth

Great points all round folks, thanks for the tips, esp. recommendations for the type of compound bows available for juniors.
Obv. she'll have to try a comp. bow before we know what she thinks about it - she might hate the things I guess

Reading the thread back it makes it look like I'm a pushy parent, but believe me she wants to switch to the dark side, I'd be happy for her to stick with recurve!

thanks again and a :cupcake: to all of you
:yummy: