Kisser buttons - anyone use one?

AH0RSEY

Trying to get a consistant face position i've read about kisser's but not tried one. Seen that they serve onto the string so look easy to setup, so whats the practical experience of them?:tongue-ti

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Hiya, never tried to use one! I use a platform tab and register the string on my nose and chin! :beer:

wingate_52

Use it against the lip, not a tooth. It does slow down the string and arrow fps a little, but it is another aid to consistency.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Make sure you bring the kisser button to part of your face that you don't move. Too often the button fits between the lips and then the lips kiss the button. In other words, the lips move towards the button instead of the button moving towards the lips. It shortens the draw length but worse than that it brings the drawing elbow forward and out of line.

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
wingate_52 said:
Use it against the lip, not a tooth. It does slow down the string and arrow fps a little, but it is another aid to consistency.
I have to disagree with this, the kisser should be referenced against something that doesn't move as Geoff mentions previously and most people find that teeth move less than lips. Probably the best exponent of using a kisser is Ed Eliason who has been near the top of this sport for a looong time; he has a groove cut into a tooth to reference his kisser button in, perhaps a bit too far for most of us to go?:jaw-dropp

I must point out here that I have not used a kisser myself for quite a few years for two reasons;
  1. I think it can be very difficult to find a consistent enough reference for it for the above reasons
  2. I find that my current three references are enough on the face - hand against jaw and string on chin and nose and adding a fourth is moving towards over complicating.
    But thats just my opinion.

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I also just noticed the fact that you are a compound shooter AHORSEY and therefore presumably use a peep making the whole kisser thing completely unneccessary. Just concentrate on finding other reference points you find easy to repeat.

AH0RSEY

PaulT said:
I also just noticed the fact that you are a compound shooter AHORSEY and therefore presumably use a peep making the whole kisser thing completely unneccessary. Just concentrate on finding other reference points you find easy to repeat.
Possible that I nod my head 'down' slightly to the peep. Thats something I should correct anyway.

Going to be video'd tonight at the club, so that will show whether I'm bowing to the target.

Furface

Supporter
Leaving aside the compound question, a kisser is invaluable if there is anything likely to reduce the "feeling" between your skin and your face, or to increase facial mobility. I write as someone known to his family as "Fat man with beard".

R

rgsphoto

the Kiss of death

I tried one with my recurve, I liked it at first, but found I ended up gurning my face to search for it at full draw. Totally messed me up, so placed it in file 13.

Frommy

AH0RSEY said:
Possible that I nod my head 'down' slightly to the peep. Thats something I should correct anyway.
The key is to get the peep set to the right position and lock it in. I used a kisser for a while on a compound and it did give me some comfort. But when I found myself seaching for the kisser with the corner of the mouth, and shots started to get erratic, I rethought the whole thing, and found the peep had moved.

I do not recommend a kisser for a compound.

Brian

AH0RSEY

Frommy said:
The key is to get the peep set to the right position and lock it in. I used a kisser for a while on a compound and it did give me some comfort. But when I found myself seaching for the kisser with the corner of the mouth, and shots started to get erratic, I rethought the whole thing, and found the peep had moved.

I do not recommend a kisser for a compound.

Brian
After watching the video of what I'm doing with my release, not sure that the peep/kisser is where I need to apply my focus just now. I'll live with it for the moment and work on my hand position. Thanks for all the advice.