which long rod ??

Zanda

Hi guys n gals, simple question what sort of long rod / stabaliser do you use on your beloved compound, its time for me to get a new one and I want to get a good un, so your opinion's please folks :cheerful:

Adam

Indoors you can'r beat Beiter rods. Have a play with different lengths if you can, and pick what feels best.

Outdoors I find that the Beiter rods catch too much wind, so I use solid carbon rods (with a 3 or 4 inch extender and end weights) instead - Arten or Cartel, both are good.

Adam

Zanda

Adam said:
Indoors you can'r beat Beiter rods. Have a play with different lengths if you can, and pick what feels best.

Outdoors I find that the Beiter rods catch too much wind, so I use solid carbon rods (with a 3 or 4 inch extender and end weights) instead - Arten or Cartel, both are good.

Thanks Adam

R

rgsphoto

Adam said:

Adam
Hi Zander,

Can't fault this advice. I used a Beiter rod outdoor and indoors too. I did experiment with a thinner carbon rod outside too but found the steadiness of the shot offered by a long 41" Beiter rod with 1 end weight better. The wind probably is an issue, but Adam is much better than me anyway and can probable feel the difference.

Long rods are very user specific, what works/feels good to one may not be the case to another. Experiment and borrow as many as you can to get a feel for them. Almost any rod will work well, I find it's how the weight is distributed at the end makes all the difference.

Reg

AIUK Saviour
I've just invested in a 'Better One' longrod - very light in comparison to the Beiter which I'm in favour of. Having said that I may well end up putting an end weight on it - still experimenting.

Check them out at OK Archery - http://www.ok-archery.de/stabidetails.htm

I got mine from Clickers - they sent one on approval. Same price as a Beiter.

greydog

The Doinker D2 long rods are worth a look too. They are pricey, but the isolation chamber at the base does a good job of stopping vibration feeding back from the long rod into the riser, you also get the weights with it.

The Better One light longrod looks interesting though :)

Adam

greydog said:
The Better One light longrod looks interesting though :)
I'm a bit wary of over-light long rods. To stop the rod kicking-up on release you end up adding weigh to the far end. This creates a pendulum effect and means it takes longer for the bow to settle into a steady aim. What you really want is evenly distibuted weight, over sufficient length to properly stabilize the bow. If you can get this with a thin rod (to reduce air resistance), so much the better.

Adam

greydog

Adam said:
I'm a bit wary of over-light long rods. To stop the rod kicking-up on release you end up adding weigh to the far end. This creates a pendulum effect and means it takes longer for the bow to settle into a steady aim. What you really want is evenly distibuted weight, over sufficient length to properly stabilize the bow. If you can get this with a thin rod (to reduce air resistance), so much the better.

Adam
True, I've always felt the multi rod style stabilisers were too prone to flexing for my liking, so making it lighter may increase this, although they seem to have spaced the rods further apart to compensate. I guess it will depend on what sort of weighting system they provide as to how much control you have over the mass weight, they just look like little spacers on the website.

Christopher Lee

zanda,

almost any long rod would work well.

I think it all depends on your particular set-up, shooting style, shooting conditions and preferences. Having said that, I think that a lot of archery set-up discussions sometimes tend to be academic. Not that I'm knocking any opinions shared, and many good recommendations and observations have been made here, but remember that as with anything in life, it's all a matter of identifying and balancing all the variables involved.

I'm not sure if you've been through these articles before, but have a look at the section where stabalisation is discussed.

http://www.tenzone.u-net.com/Equipment/index.htm

Reg

AIUK Saviour
I've always felt the multi rod style stabilisers were too prone to flexing for my liking, so making it lighter may increase this, although they seem to have spaced the rods further apart to compensate. I guess it will depend on what sort of weighting system they provide as to how much control you have over the mass weight, they just look like little spacers on the website.

So far, no evidence of flexing. The extra carbon rod may help with this (4 as opposed to the Beiters 3) They are simply plastic spacers but I believe weights can be fixed into them if required. They do may a heavy version as well.

At the moment I'm using the rod with no end weight - as such what weight there is is evenly distributed and I haven't noticed the rod kicking up. Was initially looking to simply reduce the weight in hand but have found the rod has quietened the bow consideraby in comparison to the Arten carbon I was using previously :cheerful: Need to get on the line more and shoot the ruddy thing but initial impressions are quite good.

Marcus26

I use a Vibracheck Fat Free with a Doinker Abomb and an extra weight on the end. Like it alot. One of the neat parts to this stabilizer is that the weight is rear mounted so all the mass is not out the front. Stabilizes nice.
I like the quality of the Doinkers but not the weight, too light for me.
I am getting the urge to try a Beiter again though, problem is my current setup looks sweet!.

OpaNL

What nobody mentioned yet: lenght.
Find a rod just long enough to rest your bow on comfortably between shots.
Otherwise lenght is not critical, it's the combo of the lenght/endweight that does the job. Shorter rod, more endweight, longer rod less endweight.
So unless you are very picky about total bow weight, I would choose a lenght as said before, and then add/remove endweight until you get a good balance.
I do it like this: Put on the stab, shoot, and let someone else observe the end of the stab. if it kicks high with the shot, add some weight, otherwise take some weight off, until it stays level. Works for my bow.. Anyway, don't just screw something on, try to experiment a bit and see what works for you.

Finally just a remark: Stabs are there to stabelize your bow and get the center of gravity right, that is what you need to go for.
Damping vibrations is just an extra you (might) get, although when I read other forums it sometimes seems that is the only thing that matters.

And one more advise: get a quick disconnect too: it saves the threading in your riser, and makes setting up your bow so much easier.

Peter

Watch_Man

Sebastien Flute SHC Longrod. Also use a Fuse Axiom 4" Hunter Stabilizer in place of the longrod when windy.

Last edited by a moderator: