Low draw weight compound

dtalbot

My rather skinny 11 year old daughter wants to shoot compound rather than the recurve she learnt on. The only problem is she can only manage a draw weight in the mid teens, any suggestions of low draw weight compounds she could give a try as most seem to start around 20lb which is too heavy for her.
Thanks
David

P

pyroarch57

My rather skinny 11 year old daughter wants to shoot compound rather than the recurve she learnt on. The only problem is she can only manage a draw weight in the mid teens, any suggestions of low draw weight compounds she could give a try as most seem to start around 20lb which is too heavy for her.
Thanks
David
Yes a Mathews Genesis should fit the bill, i think the draw length starts around 13 inches, and it has a low draw weight.

sky_high30

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
If she ends up with a genesis get one with draw stops as the one without feels like a broken recurve.

Get her to try the 20lb ones - some of them may wind out a little bit more and a smooth drawing bow feels lots lighter than it is.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Has your daughter drawn a compound before? If not , it would make sense to let her draw a light one until she can get a little used to the strangeness.
When people draw a compound for the first time, they often stop before the peak weight is reached because the poundage climbs so rapidly. It's as if they think,"if the first three inches is this bad, what's the rest going to be like?" so they stop pulling and say the bow is too heavy. Before choosing a compound it is better to overcome this " fear ". Getting beyond the peak weight is often a confidence thing. Do it once, and it seems ok from then on.

dtalbot

Thanks all,
Yep she has used a compound once, and got hooked on them so knows the way drawing one feels. I'll be going within a mile or so of Bowsports on my weekend travels and they say they have the Genesis Pro in stock (the one with the stops) so we will give that a try.
Cheers
David

A

ASW1973

the standard alternative was designed as a ladies or juniours bow and with the solo cam option will give you a draw length from 21 inches upwards. Have set one of these up for a girl who shot 22 inch draw length and under 30lbs and shot 1200 plus ladies fita. it is one of the few bows that is easily and cheply adjustable to give top performance and light weight riser with short draw lenghts :)

lovemylazortec

try the hoyt rintec not just saying that cause i shoot a hoyt but they are rather light as i have drawn and shot one i highly recomend that she shoots a compound quite a few times before you get her one as the rintec can be quite a painful first shot!!!!!!

M

Moose

Rintec is well worth the money

My daughter had a 10-20 model they have an 8" draw length adjustment and it was fast enough with ACC's to reach 70m

Another benefit in its design is you get more poundage as the draw length increases a 10-20 rintec wound up full with the draw length at 24" measured 27lb

The other benefit of a Rintec is that they hold there price for when she grows out of it and hence has a higher trade in or second hand value

My daughter has now graduated to a selena 30-40 (set at 30) and just shot a ladies fita at north wales with no problems

I shoot mathews and rate them highly but I would not buy a Genesis as your child will not get used to shooting a bow that has a let off and most people I know that do not like compounds do not like the let off as it feels uncontrolled

Good to see another convert to the dark side we need more apprentices