mathews or bowtech

sam

ok in a few weeks i will hopefully recieve 500 pounds for doin well in my exams and i am debating to wether buy a mathews conquest 3 or a bowtech constitution ?which is the more reliable bow ? my DL is 31 inches and i will be shootin 50#.

thanks in advance
Sam

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
Hi
I think you'll find that both bows are as 'reliable' as each other. What do you want to use it for? Target/field etc.

If you can visit somewhere like Custom Built that sell both so you can try them side by side and make an informed decision. You'll get plenty of opinions here but everyone biased towards whatever they shoot

sam

i will be using it for target and feild, ive been recomended these as they are long and they do my DL would it make much difference in forgivingness goin down to a old glory? and do they do a 31 inch DL OG?

R

rgsphoto

I feel the matthews has the edge on build quality, but I would buy the Bowtech as it looks soooooo cool and has the Bindery cam system :cheerful:

JohnK

Try them both, and others besides. At the very least, you should shoot the Hoyt, Martin and Merlin equivalents if you can.

sam

JohnK said:
Try them both, and others besides. At the very least, you should shoot the Hoyt, Martin and Merlin equivalents if you can.
what shops could i try all of these side by side?

JohnK

sam said:
what shops could i try all of these side by side?
Can't think of one, to be honest. However, if you really want to try everything that's available you have to be prepared to travel a bit. Alternatively, you could just limit your sample window and pick a bow that way. Whatever makes you happy :)

Fox

How many Martin's do you see at a FITA these days.

If you want quality, buy the Mathews or Hoyt, known and trusted performers.
If you want buy on price, go with Bowtech
If you want something a bit different and British, go Merlin, Ben is doing some interesting new stuff. As for trying them all in a shop side by side, dream on.

NeilM

Sam, the 06 model Constitution will not go the 31", which is why I bought the 05 model. I would speak to Bowsports and see what they have in stock, as a lot will depend on feel.

One of my clubmates shoots a Mathews very well, myself and a couple of others have Bowtechs, there really is nothing in it as far as accuracy or build quality is concerened.

Just to add to your confusion, don't rule out CSS ( Custom Shooting Systems). I have just bought one second hand and it is something else. Tony Weston at The Archery Company sells them. I am starting to favour the CSS over the Constitution, which is a worry as one cost a lot and the other didn't :eek:

Fox

Build quality and ******h, erm, dont they paint their risers with something akin to nail varnish? The others polish and anodize.

NeilM

Who Mathews, Bowtech or CSS ?

My Bowtech is standing up to a fair old beating, getting plonked on the floor after each shot. So far so good (famous last words).

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
Sam,

as I said you can see the bias is coming through :( It's not surprising that those sponsored by bow manufacturers think what they shoot is the best and put down other manufacturers. As others have said try as many makes as you can/want and then make your own mind up.

a shop sell Hoyt, Mathews and Bowtech so you could try 3 there side by side. If you want to try Merlin go to there premises which aren't that far away from a shop (just ring first so they canhave ready what you want. Others may correct me but the only Martin dealer I know of is Centreshot. I've never had any dealings with them but understand that they are very helpful and offer good deals.

Fox

whisky said:
Sam,

as I said you can see the bias is coming through :( It's not surprising that those sponsored by bow manufacturers think what they shoot is the best and put down other manufacturers. As others have said try as many makes as you can/want and then make your own mind up.

a shop sell Hoyt, Mathews and Bowtech so you could try 3 there side by side. If you want to try Merlin go to there premises which aren't that far away from a shop (just ring first so they canhave ready what you want. Others may correct me but the only Martin dealer I know of is Centreshot. I've never had any dealings with them but understand that they are very helpful and offer good deals.
Did I slag Hoyt or Merlin? nope and there is a reason! I wouldnt even slate Martin its just nobody shoots them, same as PSE, you just dont see them.

NeilM

It's not surprising that those sponsored by bow manufacturers think what they shoot is the best and put down other manufacturers

I trust that comment wasn't aimed at me, or at least I hope it wasn't. I am not biased and I am most certainly not sponsored.

I have owned Hoyts, I shot Martin bows for years, until Severn Archery closed. I had a single cam Jennings (from Bowsports when Nick was just getting the business going), I have an Oneida (bought from a shop) and currently shoot a Bowtech (dual cam) and a CSS (single cam). I tried a PSE Mojo yesterday and were I looking for a bow currently, I would consider that one very seriously.

The original question asked about a Bowtech Constitution, I own one and so replied.

I am assuming that Fox has had a bad experience with Bowtech. I haven't and so I have given an opinion based on my experience. I'm not sure what else I could do, except ignore the request for opinions and that would somewhat negate the point of a forum.

JohnK

Fox said:
How many Martin's do you see at a FITA these days.
I don't see any, but then I haven't been to a FITA in ages.

Besides, this is irrelevant. Martin bows can be used to shoot top scores - the world Compound Gents FITA record was shot with a Martin bow. How popular a bow brand is is at best an unreliable way of evaluating whether it is capable of shooting top scores in the right hands.

NeilM

I think popularity in the UK is based entirely on availability.

The most active retailers, who can afford to lay some stock in, or to use the sucesses in America to enhance their products are the ones who shift bows. Add to that the 'club' thing, plus the very limited availability of manufacturers in the UK and you have it.

Mathews, Bowtech and Hoyt seem to rule over here, that is almost all the compounds I see. I had people falling over themselves to look at my CSS yesterday, because it was something different. Other clubs will have a different couple of popular makes, Merlin, Martin, maybe even Oneida.....or maybe not (bit of an aquired taste). Even the Bladerunner is appearing, and the jury is still out in America over that one.

There are a huge number of really good bows available, I doubt there is a true 'puppy' amongst them, R&D simply costs too much, and so what compound someone shoots is really just personal taste.

Now, if I can just sneak an Orange PSE Mojo in the house without the missus spotting it...........