Matthews Choice

Max

I?m getting on reasonably well with my second hand Hoyt Pro Elite, but getting a bit fed up with the shoot through riser when knocking arrows (I?m normally fairly dexterous, but find it a real pain). I have been considering changing to a Matthews later this year, but not sure about the choice. The Conquest Apex 7 is a BIG bow, very expensive and (as at around 28? I don?t need a long draw length), it might not offer any advantages over less expensive models.

The Switchback is nice, reasonably priced, looks great and has that wide solid wooden grip. Normally, the Switchback would get my vote, but the new Prestige with Apex 7 cams has come along. On the face of it, the prestige looks just a shorter version of the Conquest and a bit cheaper.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of these bows?

Max

Max said:
I?m getting on reasonably well with my second hand Hoyt Pro Elite, but getting a bit fed up with the shoot through riser when knocking arrows (I?m normally fairly dexterous, but find it a real pain). I have been considering changing to a Matthews later this year, but not sure about the choice. The Conquest Apex 7 is a BIG bow, very expensive and (as at around 28? I don?t need a long draw length), it might not offer any advantages over less expensive models.

The Switchback is nice, reasonably priced, looks great and has that wide solid wooden grip. Normally, the Switchback would get my vote, but the new Prestige with Apex 7 cams has come along. On the face of it, the prestige looks just a shorter version of the Conquest and a bit cheaper.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of these bows?
Sorry folks - typo on the Prestige! I do realise the bow has Prestige cams. not the Apex 7, although they do look very similar.

Max

sky_high30 said:
I've tried an 06 switchback. Was very nice...much smoother than my browning and a nice solid wall to pull into.
Thanks Sky - how did you find the grip? It looks a lot bigger than the Hoyt or the Conquest - did it feel likely to increase torque?

Adam

Chris White claims the Prestige is easier to shoot than the Switchback. That said, he was having problems getting it tuned to his liking and is still shooting the Switchback - or at least he was at the 1st GP.

It's my understanding that the Prestige was originally intended as a short draw/womens bow but, if it works with your draw length, all well and good.

Adam

sky_high30

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
It had quite a low grip, from what I remember, which I don't really like. It was better than the *I think* Outback that I tried a few weeks ago - there was no support for the rest of my hand. It was a while ago though (November last year I think).

Marcus26

I would take the Switchback, it's lighter than the Apex 7 and you can get it with 80# letoff if you like.
However with it I always remove the wood grip and replace it with the Shrewd one and always remove the rubbers from the string suppresors. These are a terrible thing for target shooters as they are an area of inconsistancy. Had them rob me 20 points at 90m during a FITA once, never used them again. Bow still feels fine.
If I shot a Switchback again it would be a black one custom ordered without the string suppresor brackets.

sky_high30

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
The one I shot was rigged for hunting so had a pin sight with the supressors. It also had the wooden grip at a funny angle that was tolerable but not what I like.

Max

Marcus26 said:
I would take the Switchback, it's lighter than the Apex 7 and you can get it with 80# letoff if you like.
However with it I always remove the wood grip and replace it with the Shrewd one and always remove the rubbers from the string suppresors. These are a terrible thing for target shooters as they are an area of inconsistancy. Had them rob me 20 points at 90m during a FITA once, never used them again. Bow still feels fine.
If I shot a Switchback again it would be a black one custom ordered without the string suppresor brackets.
Thanks for the input Marcus - particularly the grip. I like the switchback but had some concerns over the bulk of the wooden grip - I will check out the availability of the Shrewd grip in the UK.

Max

Fox said:
Which did you choose?
Hi Fox

Matthews Conquest Apex 7 in Dark Shark Red (not actually seen any dark red sharks, but what the hell!). 28" draw length. Being a left hooker it will take another week or two to arrive, but the Senior Aardvark will let me know as soon as he gets it in. Might make the YAA FITA with it in early July with a bit of luck.

Edit Note: I tried both a Switchback grip and the Apex - the Apex fitted just right, hence the final chioce.

Fox

I'll be there, just spoke to andrew neal yesterday and got a place. Havent seen a red one, we all seem to have blue and gold ones although i managed to get a black one somehow.

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Max Did you try the Prestige, I was going to look at one of these a Bowtech Equalizer later in the year (I am only 26" draw), if I can find some, just interested in your thoughts.

Max

pwiles1968 said:
Max Did you try the Prestige, I was going to look at one of these a Bowtech Equalizer later in the year (I am only 26" draw), if I can find some, just interested in your thoughts.
Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to try the Prestige - one of the curses of being left handed, most dealers don't have stock to try and can only get bows on special order. I opted for the Apex 7 after talking to Chris Parkin at the Selby Westerns and checking out his bow - although it was the wrong hand, I just loved the grip. The prestige has its own cam which looks very similar to the new Apex 7 cam, however, I don't know anyone who has shot one - still, it looks like a great bow.