My Prestige needs a rest

• Thread starter flamingbladerider
  • Start date
F

flamingbladerider

Can anyone recommend a decent rest for my new Presige. I shoot target with X10'S, But dont know what to go for. My Hoyt Xtec has a Spigarreli but i'd like a change.

YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM & EXPERIENCE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

R

rgsphoto

flamingbladerider said:
Can anyone recommend a decent rest for my new Presige. I shoot target with X10'S, But dont know what to go for. My Hoyt Xtec has a Spigarreli but i'd like a change.

YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM & EXPERIENCE WOULD BE APPRECIATED
Check out the golden key range, well put together and easy to adjust. But check you can get a carbon spoon with it. I guess one should come with it.

I have a spig' too, nice launcher but all the screw heads wear out very quickly, they need replacing with stainless steel ones.

F

flamingbladerider

They are nice but i dont like all the twerly knobs on the better ones look too complicated. Anyone know about these Trophy Taker 2 ?

rohenwto

Golden Key Golden Premier AR-1000 gets my vote. Well made with micro adjustment in x & y. Means you can make repeatable small adjustments to knocking point height by lowering or raising the launcher.
It is not supplied with a carbon spoon, but then I have never got on with them, prefer a wire snake head. Only other recommendation should you buy one, loctite the screws which act as launcher stops or you will loose them.

R

rgsphoto

flamingbladerider said:
They are nice but i dont like all the twerly knobs on the better ones look too complicated. Anyone know about these Trophy Taker 2 ?
It's a compound bow, it's supposed to look complicated:rotfl: But in reality they are dead simple. can't help on the trophy thingy...soz.

greydog

I've used a GKF TKO with steel blade for some time now and they are very easy to tune, the Trophy Takers are good solid rests also.

I would go for the TT 2 as the blade is double bolted, and it looks easier to fine tune. Go for the .010 blade for your X10's, unless they are >290 grains. The .012 is for the heavier indoor arrows

F

flamingbladerider

AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
HEAD HURTS
THANK ALL for comments, i'm still non the wiser. I think its time for a recon, checkout what everyone else is using and have a try and see what works

F

flamingbladerider

bought a Trophy Taker II. Seems solid adjustable and most of all simple, meaning less things to go wrong or undo.

Fox

If it relies on a coil spring, it will always go wrong just when you least expect it.

T

timujin

I've just finished trying out six different rests. The one I had to start with was the Cavalier Shoot Through - OK but nothing special about it and got uneven wear on the prongs, which didn't help.

Then I changed to the Golden Key Target Pro fitted with spring steel launcher blade:

I didn't use the fine prong shown in the photo but one of the broader prongs supplied with the rest. Superb rest. Totally reliable, pretty well nothing to tune and once set up, you don't have to touch it.

Since then I've tried five other rests, mainly drop aways. Bad idea. None of them have been satisfactory and I am back now with my trusty Target Pro. You may well get some vane contact with these spring blade rests but it doesn't seem to matter, so just ignore it and shoot the thing.

Trophy Taker make a similar rest and it is pretty much the same as the GK.

Many compounders look at these rests and think "No way. Looks too simple. Can't work" and then spend a fortune on other rests only to find out that they don't work too well either.

However if you are into appearances and like fancy dials and scales and micro adjustments etc, then try the Golden Key Premier range of rests. They won't work any better (and probably not as well) but they sure look pretty and you shouldn't have any trouble convincing yourself that having spent that much money on a rest, it just HAS to be better.:cheerful:

Or try what I did and spend a lot of money on a heap of expensive rests only to find that the best one was the cheapest one which I already had.

Since no one ever seems to learn from other people's experiences, perhaps this latter is the best way for you to go. Enjoy and to hell with the cost!:cheerful:

F

flamingbladerider

Nice reply TIMUJIN, youre right dearest isnt always best. I got the TK 2 just for solid simplicity, mid priced as well.