Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
Discuss Mybo Edge at the Compound Bow within Archery Interchange Forums; Think of all that investment Mybo have made - CNC machines and the people to ...
    Thanks
    Think of all that investment Mybo have made - CNC machines and the people to operate them and design products are not cheap. Yes I am sure Mybo could have made it cheaper by putting it out to China, but the quality would not be there unless you pay a lot more.

Ironically the Origin was not taken seriously by some top archers around the world because it was considered too cheap and by definition could not be as good as their current bow that costs twice as much...." It's expensive with a well known badge so it must be good and nobody is going to question my choice".

IMHO compared to the competition, in terms of build quality, finish and performance the Edge is cheap. This is not the 70's don't confuse British made with British Leyland.

Is the edge faster than the origin - yes ask any of those shooting it at 90m on a cold windy day.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only £1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Red AIUK subscriber. Kernowlad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well Mybo themselves list the same ATA speed for both; 318fps.

Apart from a couple of mildly patronising posts, there is STILL no benefit stated over the Origin - yes it's a good bow, of course it is but in what way? Just "I tried one and it was nice" is a bit weak.

Now I'm (clearly) not experienced enough to be able to give a balanced view but in the other sports I do to a high level (mainly surfing which I'll use as an example) I am experienced enough to discern one board from another and in that sport, extra cost gets you a known brand import usually from the USA. However less money gets me a board shaped by hand by a shaper I surf with and to my exact specs. So is the machine made import board "better?" Well maybe it is for some people but not others and clearly just spending more doesn't instantly make a board better.

I'm not attacking the Edge or Mybo; I have a Mybo. But I'd just like to see some actual benefits rather than "different aluminium" and "it's nice."

Mybo would do themselves a lot of favours if they consider where this bow sits in the market and having brought out a very good bow for a pretty amazing £795, how the new one is 50% "better."

It's not that difficult - just basic sales and marketing.

Thanks
    Putting my objective hat on for a moment I think the bow is worth the level it's been put at. Would I buy one over a £1200 Hoyt/Mathews/Bowtech etc. - God yes. Is someone wearing a Mybo/Merlin shirt shooting one going to sway me? - no. Is a top U.S. archer shooting one going to sway me? - no. Did Mybo make a huge mistake for their brand by putting the Origin as low as they did? - yes.
    If their marketing person is half good we will be seeing the demise of the Origin in fairly short order to get rid of the low cost option. Risky - possibly, but as below they could minimise the risk.

Regarding the Edge, I think they missed a trick. A nice touch would have been to do exactly what they've done except bridge the gap of the pricing. They could have put the shorter one as the Edge with limited colourways at £200 less and the longer one as the Edge Pro / Elite / Comp whatever to attract the target crowd with the full pretty factor. A bit of shiny anodising and target blurb never hurt no one.

Perception - price conscious? buy the camo/black one you've "saved" yourself £xxx. Need pretty/the word Elite/Pro etc. after the name - you treated yourself and bought the "better" bow. Winner/winner. We're all human.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

In the Red AIUK subscriber. Kernowlad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Back to surfboards; just ordered one to replace the one stolen in Spain.
    Hand shaped to my exact spec, my own graphics, carbon inserts, £400.

Bargain.

Until I see a convincing reason why the Edge is worth 50% more, I will consider myself damned lucky to have got a bargain Origin before it was decided that Mybo needs to drastically increase it's prices because the other high end bows are expensive.

I also used to ride MTBs a lot and raced them - there was always a group of riders who just threw money at their bikes without considering they might actually not be very fit, or skilled or just good at all. Then there's the group who kick butt on anything with wheels.
    Clearly at the absolute top end of Elite racing the "best" kit helps but in 99.99% it's just the Emperors New Clothes syndrome.

I'm hoping someone will come along and "get" what I'm on about - rather than just telling us it's "better." Better at what?
    Mybo Origin
    Member of Bowmen Of Wadebridge
    Archery GB member

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    They could do what Bowtech/Diamond have done, have two brands, Mybo and Merlin. Reposition the Origin as an intermediate bow with black only colour marketed under one brand name. ( as long as your making a good profit why put the price up?) Go upmarket with the other brand name.
    With the economy as it is at the moment, high end bow sales could take a big hit if the interest rates go up any time soon
    Last edited by Jerry Tee; 14-09-17 at 11:48 PM. Reason: wonky fingers
    just point,pull & squeeze the trigger

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Tee View Post
    They could do what Bowtech/Diamond have done, have two brands, Mybo and Merlin. Reposition the Origin as an intermediate bow with black only colour marketed under one brand name. ( as long as your making a good profit why put the price up?) Go upmarket with the other brand name.
    With the economy as it is at the moment, high end bow sales could take a big hit if the interest rates go up any time soon
    From a marketing perspective, probably a bit late for that brand name segmentation move now.
    I really liked & preferred the previous "Merlin" name branding for their previous bows. This "Mybo" name has been the subject of a bit of razzing at my club over my Mybo Origin.
    The AUS$ is quite favourable at the moment for purchases from UK or US, but a top end bow is still a rather hefty investment.
    style before fashion

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast