Compound Bow Mybo Origin - how long to make/send?

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
As Merlin is 5.5 hours drive away, I've ordered an Origin on-line. Gone for the 60lb version as I shoot slightly above 50lbs so I'll have it cranked down a bit.
Has anyone else ordered one on-line? It seems that if you visit then they can assemble them almost within an hour or two but on-line takes longer. I've asked for a d-loop, nocking point and peep sight to be fitted as well as setting it to 55lbs/28" so it's ready to go - this apparently takes slightly longer.
Also a tiny bit worried about the poundage - having just spent ?230 on a dozen ACGs (which work really well with my Hoyt Ignite - set to 50lbs/28") with spine 480 I'm concerned that the extra poundage might tip the correct spine to a lower grade? I've asked them the same question but handy to hear from the experts here. Happy to notch it down to maybe 53 or 54 lbs to remain more comfortably in that T8 spine category.

The reason for upping the poundage is that I'm totally comfortable with 50lbs and can easily draw it - wanting a bit more punch at longer distances as well as a flatter trajectory. The Origin is also meant to have a much smoother draw.

Don't want to get my shiny (and expensive!) new bow and find out I'm shooting worse but aware that it will take time to adapt to it.

dgmultimedia

Supporter
Supporter
When I bought mine I spent 2 1/2 hrs in the shop with the BowTech - adjusting various components and tuning the bow "to me" - so an online setup is only a starting point.
i assume you will use your existing sight and Stabilizer so you will have to take time to add these and confirm tuning.
if your new arrows are ok at 50ish you can get the 60# bow down to about 56# so you might need to lighten the points slightly.
what length are your shafts? If you have more length than safe for your draw you might be able to shorten so they are dynamically stiffer...
you have room on your home range to evaluate arrow tuning once you get you new Origin - take your time and test....
you are going to love the bow.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
When I bought mine I spent 2 1/2 hrs in the shop with the BowTech - adjusting various components and tuning the bow "to me" - so an online setup is only a starting point.
i assume you will use your existing sight and Stabilizer so you will have to take time to add these and confirm tuning.
if your new arrows are ok at 50ish you can get the 60# bow down to about 56# so you might need to lighten the points slightly.
what length are your shafts? If you have more length than safe for your draw you might be able to shorten so they are dynamically stiffer...
you have room on your home range to evaluate arrow tuning once you get you new Origin - take your time and test....
you are going to love the bow.
Thanks David - your advice is always very helpful!

Yes I'll be using my Shibuya Ultima and Trophy Taker SS2 plus existing rods and bow sling.
Merlin quotes an approximate "wind down" percentage of 17 which equates to just over 50. I'd happily shoot at 60 but then I'd definitely need new arrows!

Ozzy

Arrow spine has undergone extensive testing with compounds, & unlike recurve, the conclusion is that it makes no difference to the tune or grouping at all.
It gets down to shaft & point weight if you are at all concerned that your arrows are too light for a heavier bow for some reason.
A 60# Mybo Origin will wind down as far as 50#with no issues.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Yep it sounds fine to me - shot a FITA 70 for the first time on Wednesday and enjoyed that (with my Ignite) very much. I'm also now on the Warwick postal team which is nice.
Just had an email saying the Origin should be sent within the next 3-5 working days; after watching the "making of an Origin" video I'm ever so slightly beside myself with excitement!

I have my first competition on the 2nd July - doing a Hereford but might do a Bristol too. My son (aged 8) is doing well too with his Ruckus and will be shooting a Bristol IV. Exciting times!!

great bows. my mate has one. shoots sweet as a nut. I think arrows you have will be ok, but as you progress you may want to up poundage. So could need a different spine.
My friends does not need a sidebar for balance. Which is good as less to hold out there.
dave

if you waited till July we could of dropped it off on our way to holidays!!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Nice!

Bits (sight, rest, sling, Rod) now added; there is a new ACG arrow in that hedge to the right of the target somewhere. Oops..

Shoots really nicely; just lining it all up. Noticeably faster than the Ignite; the arrows really are thumping into the target!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Have you fellow Mybo-ers adjusted the string stops at all?
Might try for more let off. Any position you particularly prefer?

Ozzy

Have you fellow Mybo-ers adjusted the string stops at all?
Might try for more let off. Any position you particularly prefer?
Played with mine endlessly.
So easy to experiment with these modules & stops.
Stops are set on the very top hole on the lowest letoff location & hardest stop @ a 29" module setting.
Think you will find most of the top UK Mybo shooters set theirs on something similar, from the videos I have seen.
Experimented with a shorter draw module setting (28.5") & more letoff on the stop location, which achieved the same draw length, but didn't like the draw cycle & pushing to let down felt like the bow would derail was not a pleasant experience, so tended to activate poor shots that shouldn't have happened.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Played with mine endlessly.
So easy to experiment with these modules & stops.
Stops are set on the very top hole on the lowest letoff location & hardest stop @ a 29" module setting.
Think you will find most of the top UK Mybo shooters set theirs on something similar, from the videos I have seen.
Experimented with a shorter draw module setting (28.5") & more letoff on the stop location, which achieved the same draw length, but didn't like the draw cycle & pushing to let down felt like the bow would derail was not a pleasant experience, so tended to activate poor shots that shouldn't have happened.
Cheers Ozzy. Currently got mine set for a fairly big let off (second hole, facing outwards) and prefer it to how it came. So is yours in the outermost hole face outwards (at a right angle to the line of the cam)?

Ozzy

Cheers Ozzy. Currently got mine set for a fairly big let off (second hole, facing outwards) and prefer it to how it came. So is yours in the outermost hole face outwards (at a right angle to the line of the cam)?

I do have a reputation as being a bow fiddler, so this stops location wasn't arrived at by guesswork.
The bow has never shot better. Holds like a treat.

Rather than attempt an explanation, here's a piccy of the bottom stop/cam ....

Attachments

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Ideal; thanks for the photo. I'll keep experimenting. Quite nice being able to adjust it all!

So is that angle (which looks just off a right angle?) in line with anything or just arrived at by experimentation?