Thread: Paper tests and stiff spines.

Thanks

Question Paper tests and stiff spines.

Because of being unable to use my first arrows at my club (they were excells 500's). I was persuaded at the shop (Bowsports) that I needed the stiffest Navigator arrows- 430's. I took them home - tried them, and after a week - and thousands of combinations couldn't get a decent group. I went back, and was directed to the paper test - and instructed to use it from about 12 inches? The result was a perfect tear. Bowsports operative said "there you are, arrows should be ok". I asked "sureley I need to go back to about 2 metres to get a decent result?" (the result of all my reading) Lo and behold the tear at 2 metres was 4" long and fletches off to the high right. So I again shot some arrows at the targets and couldn't make head nor tail of the groups. Was it me -I asked myself. So I shot my old excells and they went sensibly toward the centre. So is there too stiff for a spine for a compound? And what should the distance be for paper tests? BY the way, the bow I was using was a Mathews at 55#.

Thanks
    Guess: nocking point was set for excels, which are fatter than navigators. Therefore the nocking point will be too high for the navigators, which is backed up by the tear in the paper.

Also, your profile says you're not using a stabiliser... is that right?
    If you make something idiot proof, all that happens is someone builds a better idiot.

pyroarch57
    Without knowing all your specs it`s a little difficult to be precise, but an educated guess would be that the 430`s are pretty much spot on.

rgsphoto
    From what you have said so far I would guess you have a contact problem of some sort. Check your fletches for even the slightest mark and re-index the nock and try again. Powder testing is great to check for contact problems.

Paper testing is OK but not infalable, and very subject to bow hand position and consistent form. IMHO I don't think you can have too stiff for a compound arrow.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award. pwiles1968's Avatar
    Thanks
    From What I have read you can not go too stiff on a compound not stiff enough however would be pretty disastrous, if you put your setup specs in here I am sure someone will tell you the ideal spine,

When doing the paper test did you do several shoot troughs to make sure they were consistent the slightest amount of torque can give poor results, best to do several to check for consistency, 1/2 to 1 inch knock high tear is OK when doing a paper test, a very high tear could be setup or it could be contact with the rest kicking the back end up which would give poor grouping.
    Paul - Experience > Something you gain when things do not go as you expected.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award. pwiles1968's Avatar
    Thanks
    you just beat me to it.
    Paul - Experience > Something you gain when things do not go as you expected.