Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions from a newbie

In the White
    Thanks

Questions from a newbie

Hello everyone and thanks for the greetings.

A few questions to start off with....

I got my first compound a month ago and another one (it seemed too good a deal to miss) on Tuesday this week. First is a Hoyt defiant and the second is a merlin max2000. Both have around a 60lb draw ( I think!)

So, q1. I am practising at home ( big farm, nearest neighbor over a mile away and a big hill for a backstop), using a full size boss and proper target face. I'm shooting between 50 and 100 yards ( used a laser rangefinder) and am keeping scores. What is a 'good' score for rounds such as the York and Hereford? As I have a heck of a long way to go to any club, I'm doing this by myself for now. ( I know, I will have to join a club and do a beginners course sooner or later). I would be interested to know what an average club shooter would shoot for these rounds, just to give myself something to aim for. I must say that my scores are improving in leaps and bounds.

Q2. One bow has a d loop, the other hasn't. I have a few different release aids, but wonder about using the d loop. Do you need to use a 'pincer' type, or can you use the string loop type as well?

Thanks!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 919 Posts
    karamajo,
    Release aids with rope loops tend to be used directly onto the bow string. The single hook type(jaw) is nearly always used on a d-loop. The pincer type(calliper) is used both ways. More and more archers seem to be going to the d-loop with a jaw release aid, but there are still many who use the other systems.
    For scores, I'm not sure what to say. If at 100yrds you are getting all your arrows within the blue(blues, reds and golds) I would say you have started very well. The score depends on how many arrows you shoot. I'm sure there will be more people offering advice soon. They will tell you to join a club as soon as possible,I expect. Good advice, too.
    Enjoy the archery.
    All the best
    Geoff

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award. pwiles1968's Avatar
    Thanks
    Welcome to the dark side if you look on your county archery website there may well be lists of competitions have a look and see what scores are in there to get a Idea, You need to realise though that some of the guys will have been shooting for years or even decades, I am fairly new to the sport myself and can relate to the desire to compare your progress against other people I found very quickly the only scores you need to beat are your own, you may be better try looking at classifications and set yourself some goals (short and long term) on reaching classifications, robbos Scorecard will help you work out what level you are at. You have the advantage of a range in your back yard, enjoy it and good luck.

I would say try and get some advice on using the kit either at a club or a shop even if most of your practice is at home.
    Paul - Experience > Something you gain when things do not go as you expected.

Thanks
    karamojo checkout http://www.archers-docs.co.uk/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    As Geoff predicted, I'm going to say join a club. Even if you don't shoot with them very often, you will pick-up some useful advice and tips - it's important to start doing as many things right as possible, as soon as possible - and, more importantly, you will be elligible to shoot in competitions which is, in my opinion, one of the best places to harvest opinions and knowledge.

Adam

In the White
    Thanks
    Thanks for that info Geoff - makes things a bit clearer now.

I will join a club in the near future, but at the moment I'm more than happy just shooting alone or with a couple of friends who are pretty experienced archers, but who use recurves and know nothing about compounds.

Competitions are a bit in the future, but I must admit the thought is quite appealing.

Thanks to all.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast