Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-stringing Help needed!

Thanks

Re-stringing Help needed!

Could anyone help me I've a Bear compound70lb & the string has broken. I've got a bowpress with the attachments for split limbs. But try as I might I can't fit the new string I know the cam needs to be turned a number of times & I'de like to fit it to the connector which shortens the drawback, as at full draw with release aid it was somewhere behind my ear. Anyone who could help explain to me how to put the bow back together, or direct me to a link with a diagram I would really appreciate it! As at the moment I've got three strings, well actually two strings & one broken one. Thanx Kev!

rgsphoto
    Hi Kev,

I strongly advise you search the net for a local archery dealer who will do the work for you. Compounds arn't something you can just take a guess at. At 70lb that bow will do you some real harm if it's not strung properly. What are you shooting at with it? 70lb's is not legal for target work in the UK. 60lb's is a max

Thanks
    I have searched the net but been unabloe to find anyone localy in the North Cumbria area. I have a bowpress & I thought it was just going to be a matter of replacing the string as I'd intended to shorten the draw distance & was told that was quite possible with just a bowpress. At the moment I havent shot it at anything

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'd strongly recommend finding someone with a proper bench-type bowpress and some experience of compound bows.

There's a limit to how much you can shorten the draw length by just changing the string length (i.e. twisting-up the string, or untwisting the cables). The cam sizes are critical too, so you probably can't just use a shorter string, and the chances are the cables will also need changing if you're after a significant alteration.

As has already been said, compounds can be very dangerous (to work on or to shoot) if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Adam

rgsphoto
    I must stress, re stringing/adjusting a compound bow needs experience. I suspect the bow you have came from the USA?

If you do manage to get it fixed, a few things you need to know. It will be OK to shoot as a fun bow, but will not be legal for any competition use.

Please understand a bow of that power will shoot arrows a very long way. Only use it in an area where it is well out of the way of people or property.

get some advice and help from an experienced archer, face to face.

DO NOT dry fire the bow or use too light an arrow, it will destroy it's self and try and take you with it

I'm sure there will be someone on here who will be able to advise of a local dealer who will help. Please be patient and find a professional to fix your bow, and also advise how to set it up too.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 919 Posts
    Hi Kev,
    I think I looked at a picture of your bow. I didn't think it had split limbs, but I could be wrong. There is a fork at the end to fit in the wheel. It sounds like everyone is trying to put you off from DIY. It is better to be safe than sorry! One difficulty is, there is no way of knowing how competent you are.(sorry if that sounds rude but it is important.)
    Can you remind me, are there steel cables running through the wheels with little toggles on the end.
    Do you have the two broken pieces of bow string so you could get a rough copy of the length before it broke.
    I remember the word silver was in the name-was it silvertip?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast