scope help to reach 100yds

Zanda

Once again I come before you learned ones, or put it another way, guys I am stuck and need your advice
at the weekend I shot at 100 yards club practice, and the arrows fell short, I dropped the scope to the bottom of its travel, and pulled the site bar all the way back in, and I still only managed to hit the no scoring zone at around six o clock, someone at the club suggested turning the block.in which the scope is held, around thus giving me an extra three guarters of an inch drop, the proble then is that without a doubt my scope and arrow fletchings will become very close friends, in fact too close, my question simplyis how do I get the extra scope depth I need....to get me the distance to go from 80yds quite comfortably I might add, to the 100 yds which I cant reach:devil:

R

rgsphoto

Zanda said:
Once again I come before you learned ones, or put it another way, guys I am stuck and need your advice
at the weekend I shot at 100 yards club practice, and the arrows fell short, I dropped the scope to the bottom of its travel, and pulled the site bar all the way back in, and I still only managed to hit the no scoring zone at around six o clock, someone at the club suggested turning the block.in which the scope is held, around thus giving me an extra three guarters of an inch drop, the proble then is that without a doubt my scope and arrow fletchings will become very close friends, in fact too close, my question simplyis how do I get the extra scope depth I need....to get me the distance to go from 80yds quite comfortably I might add, to the 100 yds which I cant reach:devil:
The only answer is to shoot lighter arrows:sigh: Anything else will be a compromise and not a good solution.:melodrama It's asking a lot to shoot 2115's at 100yds. Not the best arrow for the job.:boggled:

R

rgsphoto

Zanda said:
thanks for that rgsphoto, and the other advice you gave me in my journal, it is appreciated
You are very welcome, have a :beer: I see you are shooting ACC's at 100 yds. Depending on your anchor point etc, these still maybe too heavy. They are the heaviest Carbon composite on the market. The options you have:-

1. Bring the sight bar in as far as possible. I'm not keen on that as is reduces a few benefits gained by having the site bar extended. It seems you have already done this.

2. use a smaller scope. Some scopes take up a lot of room and can induce fletch contact. I used a Mirlin but it was too big outdoors, I now use a Beiter 29mm scope. About as small as they get.

3. Move your peep up and/or anchor point down. Not always easy to do as the bow may become uncomfortable to shoot, leading to inconsistant shots. Comfort is very important, as is correct peep alignment.

4. Increase bow power if possible. This may help but not as much as you think.

5. Buy lighter arrows ( best option ) or reduce the weight of the ones you have. Cut them as short as you can, 1" is about 8gns ( all adds up) fit K-vanes or spin wings ( lower profile and lighter, about 5gns lighter than Easton EP vanes of the same size) and fit the lightest nock you can ( probably G-nocks) Fit lighter points.

6. Check your nock point is not too high, a few mm is plenty. This can effect cast too if it's too high.

As a simple rule of thumb, 1gn = 2" at 100 yds. That's the impact point on the boss. If you can shed 10 gns from your arrows you may will hit the boss 20" higher with the same sight mark. That's the difference between black and gold.

Good luck
Rich

Zanda

I think I may have misled rgsphoto, with the same set up, and with less poundage on the bow, I had a go at clout shooting, again at my local club and shot in excess of 180 yards, so I feel its not arrow bow mismatch, but rather a scope problem because I cant get sufficient elevation using the scope and aiming for gold, I am sure I can get to 100yards easily, but not with any accuracy, if I aim at the top of the boss, thats th problem that or the fact that I am thick and missing something, which is probably quite obvious to everyone else...any way cheers again rgsphoto, because it all helps

R

rgsphoto

Zanda said:
I think I may have misled rgsphoto, with the same set up, and with less poundage on the bow, I had a go at clout shooting, again at my local club and shot in excess of 180 yards, so I feel its not arrow bow mismatch, but rather a scope problem because I cant get sufficient elevation using the scope and aiming for gold, I am sure I can get to 100yards easily, but not with any accuracy, if I aim at the top of the boss, thats th problem that or the fact that I am thick and missing something, which is probably quite obvious to everyone else...any way cheers again rgsphoto, because it all helps
Clout is nothing like target shooting. With clout you are aiming into the sky to start with, cast is no problem with clout. With target you are only elevating your bow a little to hit a target 4' above the ground. Quite different. The key word here is accuracy. The arrows you have are fine, just not for 100yds target shooting. 80yds yes...100yds No... Lighter arrow are your way forward.

greydog

Hi Zanda, provided there is nothing obviously amiss with your sight, then I'd have the agree with rgsphoto, go with the lighter arrow. Can your sight rail (the vertical piece that the sight goes up and down) be detatched from the extension bar and reattached lower down to give you the extra travel needed, or is that not a problem?

If your sight will go all the way down to the arrow, then I'd recommend looking at the cartel triple as an alternative to your acc's. It's stiffer for it's weight than the acc, so the same spined triple would be lighter than the acc.
We have a couple of shooters at the club who are struggling to reach 90m, but can hit 70m comfortably, the solution is to shoot an arrow as little as 30 grains lighter in some cases.

The only other thing that springs to mind is make sure your nocking point isn't too high, as that can make your sight marks drop considerably.

Zanda

thanks for that greydog, I knew if I posted my problem on the interchange that you guys would be a help, and I am not dissapointed thanks again

Max

Hi Zanda - although only a recent convert to compound from recurve, the one thing that has stood out from everything else, in terms of sight position and cast, is the archers anchor point. It dominates everything in terms of scope elevation. The Anchor point sets the position of the peep above the knocking point, which has a massive influence on sight marks.

Rgsphoto and I shoot together regularly, we have nearly identical bows (Both Hoyt Cam 1/2, draw weight within 1lb of each other). Rich recently bought some X10's, which he had the same problem with as you are having. I tried the shafts and had plenty of clearance under the scope at 100 yards. The only difference is the shape of our faces - I have a deeper jaw line, which puts my anchor point lower and the peep about 1/2" higher.

Even lowering your anchor point (and raising the peep) 1/4" might get you enough clearance, if you can find a reference point that works for you. I know this might not be possible, as has been mentioned earlier, comfort is important.

doubletop

hello
i had the same problem as yourself shooting at 90m the otherday and the two things i have done are winding the bow up by approx 5# and dropping the sight block on the extender by 1 hole.
this has enabled me to reach 90m without bringing the extender bar in as far as it can go. i must admit i am not shooting with a scope so i have less chance of contact as my aperture (posh word /early in the morning is very small.
you will also see i am shooting xx75 2114 at 31.25inches

R

rgsphoto

Reaching 100 yds is one thing, but doing it with any level of accuracy is another. On a windy or rainy day the odds get even harder. I can't stress enough how important it is the get the right arrows for the job, that suits the individual needs of the archer and bow combo'. What works for one may not work for another. Anchor point is a BIG factor here, hence the reason some can shoot anything at 100yds and the reason I can't. This can be taken for granted by archers who have a low anchor point as they never witness the problem first hand.

greydog

The problem with moving your peep sight up to reach 90m is that it can throw your anchor point out quite badly. When I set my bow up for outdoor season, I usually have to lower the peep to keep solid reference points. As your sight goes lower, and your peep goes higher, you end up having to take your trigger hand down off your jaw to centre the sight in your peep.........just something to keep in mind, as rgsphoto said, the further the distance the more critical good consistant form is

Zanda

I take the point that you and rgs make about accuracy, my first goal is to comfortably hit 100 yds, where they hit on the target i do not particularly care, so long as I can do it again and again, from that point onwards its repeat with adjustment until I reach a reasonable level of shooting, then its fine tuning time, with all the excellent advice I have been given from the interchange and some of the guys from the club, I have managed to find an extra half to three guarters ( sorry its in old money lol) of an Inch lower travel for the scope, so as soon as I get on target I will post and let you all know...thanks again guys for all the good advice

doubletop

jerry tee
not used the carbon epics at full distance yetas my club not keen on shooting pure carbon outdoors for safety reasons and i cant guarantee hitting the target at this distance yet
as for being accurate and consistent at the distance i need to be able to reach it before i worry about groupings etc

jerryRTD

Try working your way out. Shoot the FITA distances the wrong way start with thirty meters then fifty and so on using the carbon arrows when you get to 70 meters see how much room you have left on the sight track you should be able to estimate if you can 90 meters.You could even try a few at 80 meters if you are uncertain.

wingate_52

If you cannot change the weight of the limbs, you are stuck with the sight. Try X10's with the lightest vanes available.

Zanda

achieved it

just to let the forum know I HAVE comfortably achieved the 100 yards with some help from the forum and my local club, which included spinning the block in which the scope is located around, changing the actual scope to a smaller diameter one, which gave me an extra level of scope travel, and some very careful adjustment using a tape measure I have managed, and with some site travel in hand, so all in all job done lol, just onto the repeatable/consistency bit now, no problem just a case of "learning to shoot a ten, then doing it again" time.......so thanks for the help everyone:devil:

Last edited: