Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Discuss Setting up my mission compound for field at the Compound Bow within Archery Interchange Forums; Originally Posted by AndyW And many do just that but the OP states he's putting ...
    In the Blue
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
    And many do just that but the OP states he's putting on a pin sight, hunting stab and thinking about either biscuit brush or blade. I'm assuming he's not necessarily going to shoot any style at all as pins would tend towards CL and the stab BH. TBH just sounds like OPs just having a play. Good for him.
    Sorry for the late reply, been busy.

Yes that's what it's for.. fun. I just want to go along to a field corse and give it a go as it's something I have never tried. I may even take my trad recurve and do to rounds just to get a good taste of what field archery really is like.

I will be useing my thumb release as I'm not buying one specially for this.

I have not been told a blade is bad for field, but I'm aware of potential issues with a blade when shooting field, shooting target in gusty wind can be a pain on flat ground, so I'm betting that in the woods on uneven ground will be awful. I'm leaning towards a limbsaver drop away at the moment.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

Thanks
    If you've got a blade stick with the blade, uneven ground only makes for difficult footing, shouldn't make a difference to the draw. Woods are generally more sheltered, so getting the arrow gusted off isn't as likely.

Thanks
    For cost if it were my money I would go with the AAE master hunter rest from the Archery Shops clearance section which comes with a button for 8. You wouldn't replace the blades on a Timberdoodle for that money and it's a cracking rest - I got three for the buttons. Nothing to say you can't use a finger rest with a release and then you'd have the option of really playing.
    Aside from that just get a wider tongue for a couple of quid or splurge and get your drop away - it's all good.
    You can learn to put the arrow back on the rest by pinching the nock - terrifies newbies when they watch you do it. Mate, you do know your arrows fell off don't you? - "Oh yeah thanks I would have shot that" - then watch the blood drain as you do it again and again - tee hee.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
    For cost if it were my money I would go with the AAE master hunter rest from the Archery Shops clearance section which comes with a button for 8. You wouldn't replace the blades on a Timberdoodle for that money and it's a cracking rest - I got three for the buttons. Nothing to say you can't use a finger rest with a release and then you'd have the option of really playing.
    Aside from that just get a wider tongue for a couple of quid or splurge and get your drop away - it's all good.
    You can learn to put the arrow back on the rest by pinching the nock - terrifies newbies when they watch you do it. Mate, you do know your arrows fell off don't you? - "Oh yeah thanks I would have shot that" - then watch the blood drain as you do it again and again - tee hee.
    When shooting target I'm used to just popping the arrow back on with my index finger, more so with thick arrows. When I'm shooting trad I draw 3 under and do the same but from the rear of the arrow if it comes off the shelf, and yes I have seen newbies panic when the arrow slips off, it's kinda funny sometimes as I don't have this issue as I started archery with trad bows. Compound came later, and is still a second to my hand crafted AFB, but got some reason I only shoot that on my uncles land as I find just standing there pinging away with it boring, I love to throw a ball target and shoot it (and miss a lot) were it lands.

I can get a drop away for my old rally quite cheap if I go for the older limb saver model, and as it's a Shallow ish V I have less worrys if the guide rope slips than with a deep U shape rest as I'm unlikely to damage fletching, I'm going to work on my setup over winter and take a holiday somewhere near a field/3D corse next summer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12