Setting up my mission compound for field

Marcus37

Last week I got my old Mission Rally back from my dad and today went about setting up with what I already have.

I have decided I want to use it as my a field bow, as I have plans to visit a field range some time soon and shooting my clubs 3Ds set up at various distances is fun.

So far I have a 5 pin fibre sight, with a 9" stabiliser, both came with it when I got the bow used, and I have fitted a Decut blade as it's the only spare rest I have as that to came with the bow.
I am aware that a blade is not the best choice for field.

so what I need to know is what is better for a bow occasional use on a field corse, and shooting my clubs 3D targets. Should I go with a biscuit, a 3 brush type or something like a limb saver style drop away? And what are the benefits and disadvantages of them?.

Do I need to tune the bow in a certain way?

robert43

I do IFFA & 3D . For the last 10 years all I have used is a blade rest & I love them no maintenance just adjust for walk back tuning setup once done forget . For a couple of years until I buy another new bow.

AndyW

Fingers or release?
P.S. Biscuits and brushes are fit for nothing except keeping kids arrows on the bow.

Aleatorian

Regardless of Field Discipline, I'd still shoot a full "target" rig and shoot the Comp. Unlimited class. I now have the option to have a bow as a dedicated "Field Bow" meaning I can swap arrows on that bow based on the experience of the course (fatties or skinnies) while maintaining a "Target Bow" that is setup for the season but that is the only difference.

AndyW

And many do just that but the OP states he's putting on a pin sight, hunting stab and thinking about either biscuit brush or blade. I'm assuming he's not necessarily going to shoot any style at all as pins would tend towards CL and the stab BH. TBH just sounds like OPs just having a play. Good for him.

Marcus37

And many do just that but the OP states he's putting on a pin sight, hunting stab and thinking about either biscuit brush or blade. I'm assuming he's not necessarily going to shoot any style at all as pins would tend towards CL and the stab BH. TBH just sounds like OPs just having a play. Good for him.
Sorry for the late reply, been busy.

Yes that's what it's for.. fun. I just want to go along to a field corse and give it a go as it's something I have never tried. I may even take my trad recurve and do to rounds just to get a good taste of what field archery really is like.

I will be useing my thumb release as I'm not buying one specially for this.

I have not been told a blade is bad for field, but I'm aware of potential issues with a blade when shooting field, shooting target in gusty wind can be a pain on flat ground, so I'm betting that in the woods on uneven ground will be awful. I'm leaning towards a limbsaver drop away at the moment.

Aleatorian

If you've got a blade stick with the blade, uneven ground only makes for difficult footing, shouldn't make a difference to the draw. Woods are generally more sheltered, so getting the arrow gusted off isn't as likely.

AndyW

For cost if it were my money I would go with the AAE master hunter rest from the Archery Shops clearance section which comes with a button for ?8. You wouldn't replace the blades on a Timberdoodle for that money and it's a cracking rest - I got three for the buttons. Nothing to say you can't use a finger rest with a release and then you'd have the option of really playing.
Aside from that just get a wider tongue for a couple of quid or splurge and get your drop away - it's all good.
You can learn to put the arrow back on the rest by pinching the nock - terrifies newbies when they watch you do it. Mate, you do know your arrows fell off don't you? - "Oh yeah thanks I would have shot that" - then watch the blood drain as you do it again and again - tee hee.

Marcus37

For cost if it were my money I would go with the AAE master hunter rest from the Archery Shops clearance section which comes with a button for ?8. You wouldn't replace the blades on a Timberdoodle for that money and it's a cracking rest - I got three for the buttons. Nothing to say you can't use a finger rest with a release and then you'd have the option of really playing.
Aside from that just get a wider tongue for a couple of quid or splurge and get your drop away - it's all good.
You can learn to put the arrow back on the rest by pinching the nock - terrifies newbies when they watch you do it. Mate, you do know your arrows fell off don't you? - "Oh yeah thanks I would have shot that" - then watch the blood drain as you do it again and again - tee hee.
When shooting target I'm used to just popping the arrow back on with my index finger, more so with thick arrows. When I'm shooting trad I draw 3 under and do the same but from the rear of the arrow if it comes off the shelf, and yes I have seen newbies panic when the arrow slips off, it's kinda funny sometimes as I don't have this issue as I started archery with trad bows. Compound came later, and is still a second to my hand crafted AFB, but got some reason I only shoot that on my uncles land as I find just standing there pinging away with it boring, I love to throw a ball target and shoot it (and miss a lot) were it lands.

I can get a drop away for my old rally quite cheap if I go for the older limb saver model, and as it's a Shallow ish V I have less worrys if the guide rope slips than with a deep U shape rest as I'm unlikely to damage fletching, I'm going to work on my setup over winter and take a holiday somewhere near a field/3D corse next summer.