Shot my new (to me) merlin last night

simon m

Ironman
To Scope or not to Scope....that is the question

Right so I see a merlin lite storm profusion on ebay, contact the seller and do a deal.

I get some arrows off another e-bay seller (after searching for several days)

Borrowed a sight off a club member(i have a omega tri axis on order), with no scope on it standard reticule

Went to the field last night, normal interest from other members about new bow etc.

Decided to shoot sixty yards. on a big face just for a bit of set up testing.

After two low(grass) two blue and two red all within groups of two within 30mm of each other, I find the custard and shoot two six gold ends.

The sight i have borrowed has no scope, its just a standard ring, i'm now wondering whether i ought to shot without a scope all the time............

Confused of aylesbury

R

rgsphoto

simon m said:
Right so I see a merlin lite storm profusion on ebay, contact the seller and do a deal.

I get some arrows off another e-bay seller (after searching for several days)

Borrowed a sight off a club member(i have a omega tri axis on order), with no scope on it standard reticule

Went to the field last night, normal interest from other members about new bow etc.

Decided to shoot sixty yards. on a big face just for a bit of set up testing.

After two low(grass) two blue and two red all within groups of two within 30mm of each other, I find the custard and shoot two six gold ends.

The sight i have borrowed has no scope, its just a standard ring, i'm now wondering whether i ought to shot without a scope all the time............

Confused of aylesbury
You don't have to use a scope Simon, I tried a Beiter sight from a recrve bow and it worked great, It may improve your aim as it won't jiggle about so much due to the magnification.

jerryRTD

I shoot plain ring all the time but you have to for limited compound, I would see what your groups are like at 90 meters before deciding. At the longer ranges a scope might be more help. On top of that there is the level to consider, if the bows sits well in your hand and stays verticle then you may not feel you need one. Just about the only place I have found that sells a 10/32 plain ring and pin is Clickers Archery just in case you new sight does not come with one.

wingate_52

A plain ring is fine. But once you have tried a quality (probably pricey) lens, you wont be going back to an open ring. Just make sure you don't wobble too much. A ring is not going to suffer as much in the rain!

simon m

Ironman
Cheers for the input the usual suspects. I think I may shoot 'em back to back and see what i think next week when i come back from belgium