Shoulder injury

jammed05

i currently shoot recurve, but have injured my shoulder and an struggling, i can pull back 30lbs ok and hold it. i was just wondering if the swap to a compound bow would do me any favors?

the last thing i want is to stop! i only started in march this year.

cheers

greydog

Firstly, have you consulted a doctor as to whether archery of any kind is advisable while your injury heals........sometimes there is just no way round it if it means sustaining a long term injury.

Depending on the seriousness of your injury I don't think just changing to compound will solve the problem. Low poundage and go easy until it's fully recovered, then some strengthening exercises to get you up to speed ?

jerryRTD

Greydog has a point get checked out first. Then it all depends on whether it is holding or drawing that gives you problem. If like me it is the holding at anchor that gives you problem then yes a compound would help you.If on the other hand it is the drawing and the holding that gives the problem then the only advantage a compound will give is that for any given peak draw weight a compound will throw an arrow further than a recurve. If you use an under the chin anchor and a long A to A lenght you would probably be able to get a sight mark for 80 yds with a 35 pound peak draw weight.

Stace

Is it shoulder or a back problem? Many people get confused as the shoulder blades are actually controlled by back muscles.

Compound is no easier to draw, but only to hold at anchor.

After you've seen the doctor and checked whether rehab will remove this problem, maybe it would be worth considering shooting left handed?

We had a discussion the other night at the club and all agreed they'd sooner change hands rather than give up completely.

All the best.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
James, let me tell you from experience that rest and a proper course of physio is the best plan of action. I know that I would still be in pain if I hadn't stopped shooting and seen my physio once a week, plus doing my homework exercises with the stretchy band (which my physio has increased slowly when she sees it has become too easy).

I also suffered from a trapezius muscle injury a few years ago, which comes back to haunt me every so often. At least having been to the physio for that, I know what to do if I feel it coming on.

I just bought the book Archery Anatomy and have realised what the impact of shooting is on one's shoulders, especially (I believe the shoulder blades are attached by muscles to the shoulders, back and neck, so not just controlled by the back muscles).

I'm right handed and because I dislocated my right shoulder, my rheumotologist said I should shoot left handed. Of course, this works well for me because of my eye dominance (something in that book saying eye dominance is far more important than handedness, but that's another thread). So now both of my shoulders have suffered problems and it's only something a physio can sort out properly. If need be, I may have to have a cortisone jab to reduce the inflammation further.

I could tell at SoCo2 that my should was still sore trying to pull my regular 30#. I will need to wind down to 28 until I gain my strength back. I know you're desperate to shoot again, James, be get properly diagnosed. The trouble could be worse than you think. The longer you go without treatment, you could be damaging your shoulder.

For you own peace of mind and health, get thee to a physio!

Marcus26

I agree with the above. I suffered through tendonitis as a junior in my bow shoulder and shot through it by using heavy pain killers. (I wanted to compete). After I qquit for a numer of years I continued to damage the shoulder playing US football. When I returned to archery the pain was quite severe (7 years later) and in the end had to take 6 weeks off while I did physio and fix the tendon. Since then thanks to that and restructuring my technique I had had few issues with it.
I dread to think where I would be today without getting that work done and taking the time to get it to heal.
BTW I am a compounder.