CLICK TO REGISTER FOR THE AIUK IRONMAN
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Discuss string stop/suppressor at the Compound Bow within Archery Interchange Forums; Just to clarify. I wasn't trying to be a smart 4rse. The various explanations so ...
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Just to clarify.
    I wasn't trying to be a smart 4rse.
    The various explanations so far seem to indicate that the bar is merely a "guide" and that the term "stopper" is a bit of a misnomer.
    I profess no detailed knowledge or expertise when it comes to compound bows, but I do have a good understanding of mechanics and if a part that is designed to stop the travel of something is removed it is generally a bad thing (especially where large amounts of energy are involved)
    Anyhow, it' maybe just a breakdown of communication and no offense was meant on my part.
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Del the Cat View Post
    Just to clarify.
    I wasn't trying to be a smart 4rse.
    The various explanations so far seem to indicate that the bar is merely a "guide" and that the term "stopper" is a bit of a misnomer.
    I profess no detailed knowledge or expertise when it comes to compound bows, but I do have a good understanding of mechanics and if a part that is designed to stop the travel of something is removed it is generally a bad thing (especially where large amounts of energy are involved)
    Anyhow, it' maybe just a breakdown of communication and no offense was meant on my part.
    Del
    tee hee, that's ok! I've just gotten so used to the "solution to compound problems is shoot a longbow" I was just surprised it wasn't there!

thankfully it is one of those parts that's only really needed on short brace height bows where it might help stop the string before it hits your arm. You will almost never see them on bows with bracing height above 7" (yes, I know there are examples where that isn't the case - ALMOST never see).

Hoyt brought them in for recurves a few years back, and then quietly dropped them after a couple of seasons when they didn't take off.
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If you don't have a string stopper the string won't stop. the faster the bow the more likely it is that the string will hit the bow hand. The string stopper is part of the system that absorbs the residual energy of the string and working parts of the bow, without it more energy will have to be elsewhere again the faster the bow the more energy.
    Some bows like my old constitution are much nicer to shoot with a string stopper than without. Without the string stopper there is a lot of post shot vibration. It would seem that longer A to A bow suffer more because there is more string to come forward and a faster bow suffer more because the string moves faster. you pay your money and you takes your chances.
    Del the Cat likes this.
    just point,pull & click the mouse button

Thanks
    I put a Mathews Dead End on every compound whether or not a stop is fitted as standard. Cheap stops tend to wear and with the string following through to the rod there's the potential for string damage in pretty short order, that's why my Marxman looks nothing like a Marxman. I try to angle / wangle the stop to as close to the nock as possible to give the best chance of a consistent point at which the string and nock part company. Being honest,there's a fair bit of comfort blanket in the thinking and not a lot of proof and yes you can shoot just as well without them. I just bought an Apex 7 which is going to get a limbsaver stop for a change or possibly a bloodsport brush just to see how they feel.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

Thanks
    I machined a stop for my Podium. Improved the feel and noise of the bow no end. Couldn't decide if it affected accurracy so probably didn't.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

Thanks
    Sent you a pm.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast