Thread: switching from olympic

In the White
    Thanks

switching from olympic

I want to switch to compound after 3 olympic bows and 8 years of practice. Any suggestions on what bow to buy?
    I googled am little and learned that it is rather easy to find suggestions for beginners. But there is almost no advices for switchers like me.

So,
    Budget: $1000 (for the bow alone. However, it can be extended)
    Brace length: 31' (probably, a little longer). I guess by brace length the main thing to narrow the search.
    Draw weight: 60 pounds.

Do I need to reconsider the budget? Might it be that I should think about cheaper bows because olympic bow practice is not like a real experience for compound archery and I should start form the first steps.
    Or may be my budget is too low and I need something more expensive?

The main thing I want to get advice on is the bow I am considering to buy: PSE Phenom. Any drawbacks? Alternatives?

Thanks
    Before making any suggestions may I first ask a few questions:

Have you shot a compound at all?

If yes then what bow/bows have you shot?

Are you planning to shoot mostly indoors (18m) or outdoors (90m) - target or field ?

Is 31” your recurve draw length? It may not be your optimal compound draw length.

Why are you thinking of a 60# draw? even on a 10year old Hoyt I can thrash 100yd targets all day long with my ACC’s set at just 50#.

Do yo have access to an archery store or club where you can try a few different bows out?

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

In the White
    Thanks
    Never shot it.

I am planning to shoot outdoors in the summer and indoors in the winter. I prefer outdoors but the season is too short here. Mostly target.

I borrowed some chap no-name compound bow just to measure my draw length. It is adjustable up to 30''. And I felt almost fine at 30''. So, I believe my draw length is about 30.5'' but I would feel better knowing there is some adjustment space left.

I measured the draw length with a compound bow. My recurve draw length is 30.3''.

60# - because I shoot 46# recurve. So, I believe 60# is not too strong. Besides, AFAIK You always can loose it to 50#.

I have some access to a club. But there are no bows with draw length longer that 30'' there.

Thanks
    Take care - I am nowhere near an archery shop so bought everything on-line and definitely made a few errors.
    If you can't try bows, maybe compile a shortlist and see if anything is on offer - Hoyt, PSE, Mathews, etc. We have the excellent Mybo bows here - they are great VFM (I have an Origin) but bear in mind that a "good" compound bow is far less forgiving than an entry level/super adjustable one.

You'll also need to budget for a good sight (200+) and if you're doing over 50m (ish) some decent ACG type arrows of the right spine. And then there's the release - wrist or hand held, it makes a BIG difference. I wasted a lot of time and money changing from wrist to hand held (and realising hand held wasn't for me).

Be careful on draw weight too - I'm a lifelong weight lifter/swimmer/surfer so stronger than your average Joe but I overdid the draw weight assuming it would be better; it wasn't. I'm far more accurate and consistent at 52lbs than I was at almost 60. And 50lbs will get your arrows as far as they ever need to go.

It's a bit daunting but your recurve training will help a lot; just don't throw silly money at everything (like I did) - form is so much more important than this week's shiny toy. The best compound archer I know buys everything second hand.
    Mybo Origin

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=alexgg;792205 PSE Phenom. Any drawbacks? Alternatives?[/QUOTE]

get the DC it has a max draw length of 33 inches. Until your form settles down you can't say for certain what your draw length is going to be. You might need that extra inch.
    just point,pull & click the mouse button

Thanks
    As did I (well 0.75 of an inch).