Talking of Release Aids !

wingate_52

Has anyone let go of their release aid and had it fly off into the field on release. Is this why some people use wrist mounted ones, rather than hold in the hand ones?

Max

wingate_52 said:
Has anyone let go of their release aid and had it fly off into the field on release. Is this why some people use wrist mounted ones, rather than hold in the hand ones?
I've seen it happen on a couple of times, but not that often. One guy I saw it happen to used a trigger technique involving hooking his thumb over the trigger and relaxing his draw fingers to trigger the shot - he just relaxed a bit too much on one occasion.

The wrist relase - v - hand release issue is mainly one of comfort, anchor point and draw technique. I tired both but found that the trigger on a wrist release tended to make me flinch and punch. Some people find it easier to use the correct muscles to draw if the release is attached to, and drawn from the wrist, rather than hooking the fingers round a T-Bar. It's a personal thing in the end.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have recently changed to a hand held release after the wrist strap. I have the hand held release tied to a wrist strap on a longish cord. That way, the wrist strap is not taking any weight during the draw. It also means I am less likely to get to the line without it;or shoot it up the field.

Alex Greig

wingate_52 said:
Has anyone let go of their release aid and had it fly off into the field on release
I've done that, infact it disapeared into a hedge and I still haven't found it. :muted:

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
geoffretired said:
I have recently changed to a hand held release after the wrist strap. I have the hand held release tied to a wrist strap on a longish cord. That way, the wrist strap is not taking any weight during the draw. It also means I am less likely to get to the line without it;or shoot it up the field.

I could just picture it now a release aid flying up the field doing 250fps with a hand attached to it by a wrist strap :raspberry

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
You missed a bit, the bow arm would be attached too! Actually as I'm no heavy weight, I may be dragged along too. "Archer strikes gold!" literally.

buzz lite beer

I too have seen a release aid being literaly released and it was attached to the wrist of said archer nearly pulled her arm out of its socket

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
geoffretired said:
You missed a bit, the bow arm would be attached too! Actually as I'm no heavy weight, I may be dragged along too. "Archer strikes gold!" literally.
Now not that you would - but, if you did let go of the release at full draw how far would it get (how fast would it be going) before the tension was taken up by the teather? especially if the release is closed jaw and will not come off the string, I would have thought that would hurt if you have a fairly long teather.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Good question.
The wrist strap is a good fit and the cord is long enough to allow about 2 cm travel.I said earlier it was a longish cord, which is a bit misleading;sorry. The cord is fairly long but it doesn't allow too much travel before the slack is taken up.
Being a compound, the pull is quite low to start with; 15lbs perhaps.
It takes about 20" to reach 300f.p.s. (round figures only)
If the acceleration was uniform that would give 15fps after 1"
The real figures are likely to be less than that. Yes, I think it would hurt.
Better than being launched at high speed. Even if it remained on the string, it would smash into the bow near the grip and my bowhand. Not nice for either!!

Zanda

flying release's

I have seen it twice, first time a guy in the club I shoot at, (In side) actually managed to toss the release backwards, after he'd made the shot, it went about 15 feet, missed a beer glass, and stopped about a foot from a guys hand, outdoors the same guy was trying out my hand held release for me, he manged to let go at just the right time to have the release smash into the riser on his bow, it took a small chunk out of the riser, and actually smashed the release, its body was abs plastic, and it destroyed it, he reckoned it was because it was a thumb trigger and he wasn't used to it, so yes release aids can and do fly lol:cheerful:

jerryRTD

That's it you guys are convincing me most release aid users are lacking a few spots on their dice.

Shirt

Well, yeah, if you're crap and flinching like hell you're likely to let go of your release aid. Likewise, if you were shooting fingers you'd probably have randomly shot a tree or four by this point in time and be blaming the tab for your own inadequacies.

jerryRTD

You would only do it once, trust me, I forward loosed with a with a twitch once and believe me the tips of my fingers do NOT want to repeat that experience.Its not like a weaker recurve.

Last edited:

Shirt

Equally, it's a mistake you only make once (if at all) with a release aid. Having one does not make you more likely to do stupid things, just means it's more spectacular when you do so.

Zanda

flying release aids

lets not get carried away. the vast majority of release aid users, do so with no problems at all, for the small amount that get it wrong, well as long as no one is hurt, its a giggle, and gives us something to talk about :cheerful:

raktor

Shirt said:
Well, yeah, if you're crap and flinching like hell you're likely to let go of your release aid.
What Shirt said.
You'd have to be seriously anticipating the shot to let go of your release aid.