TFC's Rediscovered

jerryRTD

I was having a tinker ( I know, not always a good thing to do) after reading the 'steady on gold thread'. I was not all together happy with my 'hold on gold' . When I came across an old TFC in the bottom of my box. I had tried the usual test of fitting the stabs and tapping the upper limb to see how quickly the vibrations die down then drawing the bow to see how steady it was, and reduced the end weight a bit. I thought to my self 'I wonder what a TFC will do' The answer was a dramatic reduction in vibration, almost dead and steadier aim.
How many of us buy gel filled shock blockers when lurking in the bottm of the box is a device that will do the job just as well if not better? Are we fashion victims?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I don't think there is much wrong with TFC's.
The problem, I think, stems from misuse. In the past they were used to cut down vibration, but at the same time were being expected to reduce torque.(usually fitted to a long rod)

Whitehart

What ever floats your boat if you like a soft set up then go for it :)

I would ask the question why none of the top archers use them, I have been told that it's beacuse they cannot be tightened up enough and rubber at the end does the job just as effectively.

Worthipa - to save you time and before you post a picture of a certain Italian archer who until recently had tfc's on his bow (last olympics) I am told they were only on there for sentimental reasons and the rubber had been replaced with steel washers :)

not dead yet

Ironman
I don't think there is much wrong with TFC's.
The problem, I think, stems from misuse. In the past they were used to cut down vibration, but at the same time were being expected to reduce torque.(usually fitted to a long rod)

i used tfc's for many years, then got caught up in the beiter bug...

never known anyone use a tfc on a longrod though.

pete

Wizard

TFC's - Torque Flight Compensators, had nothing to do with torque, were all about shock absorbtion, dinosaur limbsavers, but unlike limbsavers they didn't fall to pieces. They were so 'high tech'. Not forgetting v-bars and long rods and plunger buttons and FM radio, and a compound was something they taught in chemistry.

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I have some TFC's in my box somewhere, anybody want to buy them? :)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I had a TFC on my long rod. Felt smooth as there was no vibration. Trouble was it was a flexible coupling between bow and the weight at the end of the long rod, so defeated most of it's purpose.(the long rod's that is)
Decoupling the weight, if it is used for balance, isn't serious; it will still balance the bow in much the same way as a rigid coupling.
As wizard said, they were really first generation limb savers( vibration dampers)
The name TFC was very misleading.
There are devices around today that still fail in much the same way. Wobbly weights on the end of the long rod are decoupling the weight from the rod and doing very little to reduce torque.It's like my TFC but placed at the other end of the long rod.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Hi Jerry

Interesting that the TFC helped you to hold steady on the gold.
I think that TFCs (tuned fairly soft) could help to reduce "archer induced" low frequency vibrations - is this what you are describing?

I can appreciate thought that the TFC would limit the effect of the longrod to reduce torqueing, especially if set "soft" , as there'll be a moment (while the rubber "winds up" when the longrod has no effect)

Geoff - I've found that putting weights before and after the end damper seems to help.

EDIT - Be interesting to see if the steadier aim offsets the possible reduction on torque control.

Last edited:

buzz lite beer

Worthipa - to save you time and before you post a picture of a certain Italian archer who until recently had tfc's on his bow (last olympics) I am told they were only on there for sentimental reasons and the rubber had been replaced with steel washers :)
I'll do it for him with one of his pictures too, not of an Italian but of Larry Godfrey in Athens

I know he's not using them now, but you can use them successfully.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
hooktonboy said:
Geoff - I've found that putting weights before and after the end damper seems to help.
I'd guess that the direct weight reduces torque and the decoupled one helps reduce vibaration and adds to the forward balance.

Whitehart

I'll do it for him with one of his pictures too, not of an Italian but of Larry Godfrey in Athens

I know he's not using them now, but you can use them successfully.
Cheers Buzz :thumbsup:expected as much I was waiting for a raft of pictures tomorrow morning. Be interesting to hear why he stopped using them.

jerryRTD

I have done the long rod TFC done up tight I think that there is enough resistance to control the torque and still help the aim stability. It feels good.