Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triple Piles

Thanks

Thumbs up Triple Piles

I'm after a bit of advice from my fellow archers on pile size.

At the weekend I ended up having four of my ACE's smashed at a tournament, leaving me with eight arrows and still three FITA *'s to shoot. As I cannot justify buying a new set of ACE's this late in the season I have just ordered a set of Cartel Triples which hopefully should keep me covered.

My question is what pile weight should I use.

My ACE's (570's) are 26.25" long with 90 grain break off piles (bow poundage 53lb).

I have ordered the same length Triple 700's, and they come with 90-100-110 break off points. Should I cut to 90, or try with 110 ?

Any advice appreciated.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiledTaff
    I'm after a bit of advice from my fellow archers on pile size.

At the weekend I ended up having four of my ACE's smashed at a tournament, leaving me with eight arrows and still three FITA *'s to shoot. As I cannot justify buying a new set of ACE's this late in the season I have just ordered a set of Cartel Triples which hopefully should keep me covered.

My question is what pile weight should I use.

My ACE's are 26.25" long with 90 grain break off piles (bow poundage 53lb).

I have ordered the same length Triple 700's, and they come with 90-100-110 break off points. Should I cut to 90, or try with 110 ?

Any advice appreciated.
    I've not really shot compound much, but if its anything like a Recurve setup when trying and testing arrows, I would leave it at 110, shoot a few against your ACE’s and see how they fly.

If they are dropping to low, or a fish tailing through the air then remove one break off. If you take the weight right down to 90 straight away, you will never know if the flight would have been better at 110. Also you can't really add the weight back on once you have removed a break off section.

I personally choose to shoot two of each, 110, 100, and 90 when trying a new arrow set to see which I feel performs the best for me. At the end of the day, if you do break of two piles that are then to light, you can just by another two, but at least then you will know.

You never said what shaft size you use in the ACE. Not sure if any of this advice helps, but its there of you want it.

Mike
    Archersmate - www.archersmate.co.uk

Thanks
    How does the spine on the new triples compare with the ACE ?
    If they are stiffer try tuning with the 110 grain points The 110 points will give you a better FOC and therefore less wind drift at the expense of lower sight marks
    Better to start at heaviest point weight and try tuneing before breaking any off
    I did this with X10's when changing from ACE went from a 670 ACE with 90grain points to 650 X10 with 100 grains Big down side was that my sight had to move in by about 4" to reach 100Y 90M, 80Y/70M sight bar is all the way out

Dave

Thanks
    Hi ExiledTaff, the 700's are correct according to the chart, but sound a little weak in my experience, I say this because the chart recommends the 600's for me, but I'm getting better results from the 400's and thats with 100 grain points. The Viper cams are a bit more aggressive than the CamV5's so you might get away with it.

I'd go with whats already been suggested, start with 110 grains and break off as needed. If you have any length on the arrows you can safely trim, even .5" will help if you can't get a good tune any other way (personally I'd cut first and tune the point weight second, but if your arrows are as short as they can go, stick with adjusting the point)

Thanks
    Triple 700s sound on the weak side for that setup. I'd call them equivalent to a 670 ACE, not a 570...
    I'd still start with the heaviest point though. You can always take some off, later.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik
    Triple 700s sound on the weak side for that setup. I'd call them equivalent to a 670 ACE, not a 570...
    I'd still start with the heaviest point though. You can always take some off, later.
    Rik, thanks for the feedback. The selection of the 700's was based on the DooSung selection chart on Alternatives website. Are you saying that it is inaccurate ?

In your opinion what would be a better size, i.e. nearer to the ACE 570's spine ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast