What arrows ? Getting crazy !

compoundfreak

Hello

I am looking for a new Arrow for Field and Fita, but everybody tells me something different, and I have know experience at all with all those arrows on the Market. I?m getting really confuse with all those arrows :confused:

I thought about a ACE or ACC. The Shaftlenght is 29,5 and my weight is about 58lbs ion the bow. I checked with Archers Advantage for my Setup, that I should use a ACC 3-49, or a ACE 400. Pointweight is 120 Grains.

Also the Arrow should not be to expensive.

What would you suggest ?

Best Regards

niceguy

Hello

I am looking for a new Arrow for Field and Fita, but everybody tells me something different, and I have know experience at all with all those arrows on the Market. I?m getting really confuse with all those arrows :confused:

I thought about a ACE or ACC. The Shaftlenght is 29,5 and my weight is about 58lbs ion the bow. I checked with Archers Advantage for my Setup, that I should use a ACC 3-49, or a ACE 400. Pointweight is 120 Grains.

Also the Arrow should not be to expensive.

What would you suggest ?

Best Regards
There are many arrows available and a lot of choices. Archers giving advise will naturally recommend the arrows they are using and eveyone will be different. Target shooting has different requirements than field, target arrows generally are the smallest diameter you can get with a reasonable amount of weight to avoid wind drift. Field arrows are generally larger and lighter for line cutters. Any arrow you choose will be a compromise between the two. The two arrows you mentiopn, ACC or ACE, will be OK but some say ACE arrows are not the most durable. If I was in your position I would use Cartel Tripple arrows as they fall between the two also last time I bought some they were cheaper but exchange rates have moved recently.

Just looked at the price of Tripples, now 50% more than ACC so perhaps not such a good idea.

compoundfreak

Hello

Thank you for your suggestion. I heard allready from those Cartel Triple. Are those Arrwos really so good ? Could they be compared with a ACE or ACC ?
Where do you buy those Cartel Triple ? Price ?

Thanks

pantherman

You are talking about 2 very different things, as already said. I would go for carbon express maximas for field. Triples are ok but not the best for either, but if you want one for both they would be better than ACC's.

niceguy

Hello

Thank you for your suggestion. I heard allready from those Cartel Triple. Are those Arrwos really so good ? Could they be compared with a ACE or ACC ?
Where do you buy those Cartel Triple ? Price ?

Thanks
Altservices or Bowsports for example. Most people associate Cartel with iffy low end equipement, this is true for some of their stuff but the tripple arrows are a bit above this. Do a search and you should find some info as this subject has been well discussed. Seems like tripple prices have gone up a lot since last time I looked, they used to be the same as ACC. Also be wary of the spine numbers Cartel use a different numbering system.

compoundfreak

Hello

OK. Lets sday I just want to shoot FITA. Would then the ACE?s be a good choice ? Why are the ACE?s and ACC?s not so good ? I thought that this are one of the best Arrows in the world ?

I have no Problem to shoot Field with a other arrow - no Problem at all. For Field and 3D I use now Carbon Express CXL-SS 250. Is a very good Arrow.

What do you mean with "drift to mutch" ? I thought that this are the best Outdoor Arrows ?

Thanks until now.

Hidden Hippo

There's no denying that they are good arrows, but for compound you want the heaviest, thinnest arrow you can so that there is a small surface area facing the wind and a high mass to further reduce drift as a heavy object is harder to move than a light one.

The ACC is pretty fat at the spine required for compounds, so whilst heavy can still suffer from a significant amount of drift. The ACE is by comparison much thinner, but also significantly lighter, again leading to more drift.

The ideal arrow (from Easton) for compound is either an X10 or X10 Protour as these are relatively heavy (around 7.5 grains per inch upwards at compound spine) and very thin, thereby minimising wind drift.

A decent compromise for compound is either the Navigator (or Navigator FMJ if you can still get them as they've been discontinues) as these are a similar weight to the X10 series arrows but fatter.

Hope this helps, at least for the FITA target bit, I don't shoot field so I won't try and offer advice in that respect.

The Meggy

A Navigator would be your best bet. The ACEs and ACC's will both drift far too much.
I use these and felt they gave me an appreciable improvement over the ACCs I had before, particularly in regard to reduced wind drift. I have also heard people say good things about the Cartel Triples (similar price to Navs last time I looked) but I had also heard people say that the components were not so good (the points allegedly use too soft a metal) - however this may have changed since. At the less costly end of the spectrum there are the Axis FMJs (not the discontinued Nav FMJs) by Easton which sound nice to me - a bit larger diameter, but a good weight for target shooting, durable, and said to be a good choice for field/3D also from what I hear.

The Meggy

No, just the ordinary Navigators. As I'm sure you've read, the FMJ version has been discontinued, so personally I wouldn't go for them as it will become hard to find replacements. I also notice that arrow prices seem to vary quite a lot from one retailer to another at the moment, so I would say it's worth shopping around.

Marcus26

The ACE is a terrible choice for outdoor FITA compound shooting. A good recurve arrow, but for compound it is far too light and will drift lots.
If I was selecting arrows for compound my preference order would be

ProTours
X10
Nano Pro
Axis FMJ
Navigators
Nano XR
Axis
Triples
ACE
ACC

The Meggy

Axis better than Nav!

Marcus, I'm quite surprised by the fact that you rate the Axis FMJ above the Navigator for outdoor shooting. After all the Axis is considerably cheaper to buy, and has a larger diameter - so in theory more wind drift. I know its a bit heavier spine for spine so maybe that works in its favor with compounds, but I still would not have expected you to put them in the order you did. Just wonder if you could elaborate a bit on your thinking/experience of shooting the Axis FMJ, especially as regards in the wind. Cheers!

The Meggy

Just having had another look at your list Marcus, wondering if you didn't mean the Nav FMJ above the ordinary Nav, as I notice you list the Axis again further down the list? If so I'm still interested in your impressions of the Axis though.

Marcus26

The Axis FMJ is the metal jacket version, while the Axis is the standard carbon version.

I rated the Axis FMJ highly because in my experience using them in the wind they were exceptional. The weight (and I had 141 grains up front) made up for the extra thickness of the arrows. This also assisted greatly with grouping.

I rate the Nano's lower than where you may expect because I really dislike the all-carbon construction. They tend to suffer from point loss and rear damage much more than the AC arrows from Easton. (we had people lose 15-20 points between them at one event and most Nano users I know have blown the back out of 5+ shafts. I don't know of one ProTour shooter personally who has blown the back out of a ProTour. )
The Triples are also let down by components and quality of finish.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
There are some who might say that'll be the difference in the grouping between the arrows!! ;)

most Nano users I know have blown the back out of 5+ shafts. I don't know of one ProTour shooter personally who has blown the back out of a ProTour. )
sorry, just couldn't resist!! ;)

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
It's not so much that they are total garbage but with the power that a compound bow posesses the limitations of an ACE (ie. the drift) can be overcome using different arrows. If you struggle with sightmarks an ACE is light enough to help, but a compound should be able to reach 90m with a very heavy arrow and so the ACE isn't needed for that.