Compound Bow Where holds compound stock?

Hidden Hippo

Interested in trying out a few of the newer bows to see if I'm missing out but it seems like "try before you buy" has died in the compound market. One seems to have limited stock and another asks for a substantial non-refundable deposit per bow.

Anyone know anywhere accessible from London with decent stock? In particular interested in a HyperEdge, PSE Supra and a Mathews Halon, possibly an Elite of some sort too.

Corax67

I was in Wales Archery a couple of weeks ago and they had a huge selection of compounds on their racks - I know it's not exactly London based but 3 of us made the 6 hour round trip from East Kent simply because they are superb.

Karl

blackarrow37

give merlin bows a call they offer a great service and backup massive amount of stock
they will set the bows up to suit you and then you try them out in their indoor range
we had a very very bad experience with aim archery

Hidden Hippo

I asked Merlin, unfortunately to try the bows I wanted to they'd have needed ~?600 in non-refundable deposit.

Will check out Aim. Wales are great, but definitely not especially accessible :p

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I asked Merlin, unfortunately to try the bows I wanted to they'd have needed ~?600 in non-refundable deposit.

Will check out Aim. Wales are great, but definitely not especially accessible :p
Seems to be a thing at the moment. I was at a garage the other week and they would not do a test drive unless I paid a ?500 non-refundable deposit.

AndyW

I don't know about trying bows out but Silver Archery are close to you and I've always had great dealings with them. Tend to stock obsession though.

bowser

So your expected to spend ?500-1500 on spec nevering having tried it? so what happens when you try the said item and its no good for what ever reason, they keep the ?600 for the privilege of letting you have have a go!! sound like a complete bunch of w--kers to me, cant think of anything I have ever spent that much money on in my life I haven't tired it first to see if its what I need want etc etc etc.

Will check out Aim. Wales are great, but definitely not especially accessible :p[/QU

Mark31121

Ironman
Is that ?600 deposit for them to order in and set up the three bows for you to try?

If that's the case then I can sort of see their point to rule out time wasters - what's the chances of you not wanting any of the bows? Even then they'd have to still sell the other two...

Hidden Hippo

Is that ?600 deposit for them to order in and set up the three bows for you to try?

If that's the case then I can sort of see their point to rule out time wasters - what's the chances of you not wanting any of the bows? Even then they'd have to still sell the other two...
It's offsetting the risk which is logical. However, it means that a would be consumer won't bother going to a shop since the best case scenario is the bow ends up costing substantially more than normal store price, which is likely already higher than online.

Chances are I'll just keep an eye out for a 2015/2016 model.

AndyW

I've never spent that much on a bow. You may as well do a try and buy off ebay when one crops up. Vote with your feet the sales policy will soon reverse.
P.S. I don't advocate buying bows off ebay unless you know what you're doing. I got lumbered twice before I learnt.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
at least you're not a leftie (you're not, right??). Last time I went looking for a new bow, ~2010, I ended up having to go to several shops simply to find the bows I wanted close enough to my spec that I could try them!

Though there is an hourly bus service (#73) that runs from Newport - Chepstow that passes by Wales Archery - Newport Bus route 73

Mark31121

Ironman
It's offsetting the risk which is logical. However, it means that a would be consumer won't bother going to a shop since the best case scenario is the bow ends up costing substantially more than normal store price, which is likely already higher than online.

Chances are I'll just keep an eye out for a 2015/2016 model.
Wouldn't the deposit you'd paid come off the price of the bow or would they only take off a third of the deposit?

If it's the latter then I can see why you wouldn't want to bother...

bowser

seems bizzare to me, for ?600 I could fly to the states and try all of the colours in all of the sizes. And if you wanted to try something here then order it pay on a credit card it arrives you try and then send it back!! no reason required 14 day distance selling regulations, I would have thought as a retailer anything to stop that happening would be a good idea.

Wouldn't the deposit you'd paid come off the price of the bow or would they only take off a third of the deposit?

If it's the latter then I can see why you wouldn't want to bother...

leg_iron

I've always used Wales Archery whenever I've been looking to buy a new bow. They've always been really helpful & have spent loads of time with me setting up my new bow. My club recommend Wales Archery to any archer in my club who's looking to buy a new bow.

AndyS

Supporter
Supporter
Were any of the bows you wanted to try in stock? they all show as special orders at the moment.
I've never had to pay a deposit when trying kit at Merlin (granted all recurve), but if they have to get a "special order" item in for you to try, then I think that's when a deposit kicks in, presumably non-refundable because if you don't like it, they're then left with inventory that they don't sell often enough to stock in the first place, in this case they could be left with around ?3k of extra compound stock even if you bought one of the 4.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Living in Cornwall, my nearest shop is two hours away so I just have to read reviews to death, use this very helpful forum and buy on-line.
So far I've not really had any errors - my latest buy being a set of ACG arrows and a Mybo Origin bow.

The postage irks me at times but it's a lot cheaper than the fuel - especially when our three vehicles all struggle to get 30mpg...!