Wooden compound bows?

Wooden compounds?

• Total voters

Thorvald

Is it just me - or are there other compounders out there, who would like a wooden compound bow?

I am just thinking that maybe there are compounders that would like to go the more traditional way - and shoot compound barebow - with a wooden compound bow.

I remember from my early years in archery, I saw magazines with wooden compound bows and admired them. I think Golden Eagle was one of them.

But today? I don't know - but maybe the trend is going against compound, recurve barebow and longbows - leaving olympic recurve becomming a smaller group?

Thorvald

Hehe - I am only interested to see if there are some people out there who would like to have a wooden compound. The option you suggest is obvious, because today there are only compound made with metal risers.

Manwithoutfear

I shoot Compound barebow, I love the idea of a wooden bow as long as the performance is still there. I know it can be done and in a beautiful way as one of our club has made one and it is outstanding!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BND2wdBkaQo]YouTube - Shooting my home made compound bow[/ame]

He made ever part accept the button!:wide-eyed

jerryRTD

As far as I can see the problem with a wooden compound is strenght. I shoot a lever action bow, an Oneida Pro Eagle and even with that design of riser with no timing slot in the center of the riser and a back braced tech style riser ( just about the strongest lever action riser ever made) I would not trust a wooden construction. There would have to be carbon fiber in the riser,to reinforce it.

Thorvald

I really do believe that it is possible to make high performance compound bows with a wooden riser and perhaps even also with wooden limbs. Especially, if the limbs are close to parallel limb design. The one on the videoclip is nice too - though, I don't like the design too much - but it is indeed cleverly made.

I also belive that it is possible to make a lever action compound bow with a wooden riser, that is more than strong enough. For my self I am considering a camless version from Monsterbows - made of wood. I have not yet got a final agreement with Monsterbows, but they are very interested.

Of course you need to make designs, that will be strong enough - but using the right woods and laminations - and perhaps some carbon strips - it should be possible. I am wood engineer, so it will be difficult to convince me, that it is not possible... hehehe :cheerful:

Below is a design, that I have drawn.

Last edited:

Thorvald

Hmmm - why I cannot get the picture of the drawing in at full size - it seems to be 1:2... Here is a direct link, if it helps.

jerryRTD

How about using the priciples used in the Mosquito WWII fighter bomber. Lots of laminations glued together with epoxy. This method of construction at least has a proven ability of prioducing structures of comparable strenght and weight to aluminium. Add some carbon reinforcing and you could on to some thing.

Thorvald

Of course - making the riser from lots of laminations - like actionwood, could be one way to go, if necessary. If made with my wood choices, it could still become a beautiful riser.

jerryRTD

Also I can't help feeling that the brace for the riser should be at the back of the bow not the front forces in compression are easier to deal with than forces in tension.

Thorvald

Also I can't help feeling that the brace for the riser should be at the back of the bow not the front forces in compression are easier to deal with than forces in tension.
Perhaps - but the advantage of a front tension bar, is that then the forces are led away from the hand in the true direction of the limbs. But both front and back tension bars would probably work equally well. Of course wood is stronger in compression than in tension, so the front tension bar should perhaps be laminated, at least of 2-3 pieces. More over, as these bows are almost parallel limbs most of the forces would go straight down in the riser, with the tension bar helping to make the riser stiff. But I will try also to design a nice one with a back tension bar also.

Thorvald

You're mean. First of all, that bow doesn't bend, secondly I think it is a April 1st joke, as the article is from April 1st - thirdly; I am serious about my project. It is not a April 1st joke.

But interesting article, though... :cheerful:

Thorvald

An update on how many has shown their interest in to own a wooden leverbow / compoundbow:

Wooden Lever-bow: 18
Wooden Compound: 15 (13)

So - the interest is there and it is slowly growing... :eek:ptimist: :cheerful:

Thorvald

An update regarding the interest:

Wooden Lever-bow: 21
Wooden Compound: 18 (16)

Of course this poll is showing what we already know: There is a limited interest and the bows will "speak to" a limited market. But one thing we of course should be aware of is, that it is very difficult to show an interest (and to keep the interest warm) as long as the bow isn't there. As long as people don't know how the bow will look like, what would be the caracteristics, how will it perform - then of course people can't decide for fullest if they are interested or not. But when the bow is real, it could also drag a greater interest in the product. I think that this poll shows that there are some interest, but of course people need to know more about the bow. But it will probably take a good while, before we get to the point, where more information is available.

Old Bloke

Many years ago (1980's) the bow making company *American* did make a very good wooden compound bow. It had tri-draw wheels and the riser was laminated. I shot it and it was as smooth as a... Quite a few were sold and it was the *Pro Shop* now Archery World who distributed them in the U.K.