Discuss XTR Draw Length at the Compound Bow within Archery Interchange UK Forums; I am currently shooting a Hoyt Maxxis 35 which XR2 cams and module A but ...
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

XTR Draw Length

I am currently shooting a Hoyt Maxxis 35 which XR2 cams and module A but the draw length is about 1/2inch too long for me.
    Is it possible to get a shorter cam than this (or even put different cams on e.g. the fuel cams)? Or, am I stuck with twiddling cables and string?.......or new bow?

I already have more twists in the string than when I got it, don't really want a massive amount of twists in it, but haven't touched the cables at all.
    www.archeryhub.co.uk

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    How about making or buying a shorter bow string? Fit it while the cables stay in place and no timing to bother about.

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Thank you for the replies.
    It was from Custom Built that I bought the bow. At the time, obviously, it was set long for whatever reason. A year on from then I have been back and seen Simon. He put the twists in the string for me. At the time, he said it was ok but when I got home I found it was still too long. I know, I should have shot more in the shop to be sure. Next time I know

I have considered a new bow and selling the Maxxis, aching towards an Alpha Elite (I love the draw and shot feel on my Maxxis with similar limbs and cams) but money is the issue. Needs must mind.

I am going to ring Wales Archery and see what they can do then, depending on the answer, give Custom Built a ring. Wales Archery is the nearest atm and I can't get to Custom Built until at least April.
    www.archeryhub.co.uk

It's an X
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Shortening the string, robs the draw cycle of the first half inch, if you want to lose half inch that way. After that, everything is the same as before.On the power stroke everything starts the same but you lose the last half inch. I imagine that will lose sight marks, but if there is the option to wind up the weight, some can be made up that way.Adding twists will demonstrate the effect of a shorter string.And that could help decide the length of the next string. ( if too many twists is a problem)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolHead View Post
    I am currently shooting a Hoyt Maxxis 35 which XR2 cams and module A but the draw length is about 1/2inch too long for me.
    Is it possible to get a shorter cam than this (or even put different cams on e.g. the fuel cams)? Or, am I stuck with twiddling cables and string?.......or new bow?

I already have more twists in the string than when I got it, don't really want a massive amount of twists in it, but haven't touched the cables at all.

if u r using a carter thumb release, u could try the new carters, plain 1 or simple 1 the new jaw looks like it will give 1/2", cheaper than a new bow and no messing with cables etc.

if u r using a truball thumb release a normal carter will give a reduction also.
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.

In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolHead View Post

Just have a String made that is 1/2 an inch shorter than Spec. and you will have a 26.5" bow.

I have done it for several customers now with no problems.

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I have now spoken to some shops about this, most notably Custom Built and Wales Archery.
    Wales archery just told me "you're on the shortest cam and module, can't be done"
    Custom Built were great, sent Simon photos of my cams so he could see the rotation. Straight away "yep, we can get that shortened for you but may need new strings" which is fine by me.
    I am now going to take the bow to Simon despite Wales Archery being far closer.
    It's not the first time I have been less than impressed with Wales Archery and more than impressed with Custom Built. If you ignore a shop setting me up with the wrong draw length in the first place.
    www.archeryhub.co.uk