Any Wooden Arrows Recommendations?

peterphillips73

Hello everyone, my first post, but have been reading threads for a while.

My Black Douglas should hopefully be arriving within a month, and I'm thinking I'd like to try hunting tackle.

A guy at my club swears by his own bamboo arrows (he is a fantastic archer and can certainly put them where he wants them to go).

Does anyone have any recommendations for wooden arrows, makers, tips or whatever.

I've ordered a 40 pound 64" Black Douglas and draw to 31".

Thanks

rusty craine

I want be much help in your quest for wooden arrows since I live in Texas. I build a lot of wooden arrows for more or less dispoiable arrows. I buy seconds, that is shafts that are not a quality that would be sold as hunting or target shafts. I use them for roving arrows in the boggy bottoms of the river near my house. My BD and a back quiver full of inexpensive arrows will give you as as much fun per money spent ya can get.

morefun ?(stringwalkerbowhunter)?

rusty

DenzilS

Probably depends how good you are! If you are a crack shot then you will want the most closely matched set of arrows you can get, so it may be worth spending a fair amount of time/money on them.

If you are anything like the rest of us then build up a set from a dozen matched shafts in POC or Boyton pine. The style of the points doesn't matter that much, but they do need to be securely glued - use slow set epoxy.

Unless you are a crack shot then arrows inevitably get broken on field shoots, so it is better to lose a reasonably good but cheap arrow.

rusty craine

Denzil is so right. a dozen high quality target shafts are 12 shafts in a 1000. the guys who can take those shafts and make them into the most they can be are pretty rare. the archers who will pay for all the work, patience and care put into those shafts is the most rare :).

If there is a bow out there that shoots a wooden shaft better than my BD does, I like to know what it is :). I think you are going to have a good time

rusty

peterphillips73

Hi, thanks for your advice. think i may try some of the bamboo shafts i mentioned. This is the only contact i have without investing super money.

And no, I'm not yet one of those archers that wouldn't lose or break them. But soon, a few decades, who knows.

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I purchased 2 dozen matched tapered wooden shafts from Border a few months ago and they made some dandy arrows :)