Black Douglas Hex 5 W 62" 46#

rusty craine

The financail down turn in the States is pretty scary. A freind of mine bought a Black Douglas Hex 5 W that was sent to him on 1/22/09. Becuase of the ecomony he felt it would be best to not keep the bow. I had awlays wanted a Black Douglas so he shipped the bow to me.

Ah the luck of the Manx (family came from Island of Man in late 1800's). So can a Manx fellow shoot a Scotish bow? I braced the bow, checked the BH, put a 3/8" NP on, Grab some 2016 cut 28.5". Went out back to the 20 yds range. First three shot form the BD Hex 5 W 46#.....

Black Douglas Hex 5 W ?(stringwalkerbowhunter?)

Is that tuning? :yummy:

I think it is a fit. My goodness the bow had never been shot and in oringal sealed boxes. The luck of the Manx! :)

Rusty -Must be Manx got one tail- Craine

Last edited:

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Rusty

Sorry to hear about your friends predicament. You have a very nice bow there, very similar to mine. I am delighted with it :)

rusty craine

Really I am just very lucking I think. I didn't even ask about the grip, high low, medium, or if the BD came in grip hieghts. 46# is now my hunting weight most of the time since a shoulder injury. I didn't do any research into the BD other than reputations from firends and shooter (and internet).

I have shot wooden riser recurves since 1957, so I have a certain feel that I like in a recurve. I can't describe it I just have to shoot it to find it. This particular BD is that feel. from how the arrow is addressed by the string and sight window, to the hand in relation to the arrow. The physical bow weight, the load on the string at first draw and the load on the string nearing full draw. Really great ergomonic point is the size of the grip throat and positions of the thumb placement.

oh well real windy way of saying the BD fits me like it was made for me.

rusty

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I'm guessing on the wood in your riser, is that Shedua with Zebrano or something running through the centre?

rusty craine

Brian - not even sure about the wood. Very handsome bow in a reserved sort of way. That too is just to my liking.

rusty

BorderBows

it sure does look like shedua outers with a zebrano centre from here...

Its a super. The normal has a parrallel stripe though it, and not the diverging lines on the super.

The BD comes with 3 "normal" grip heights, high, med, and low.

We have just done a left handed riser with a right sided window... i suppose its for someone shooting with a thumb ring or something where the parradox is opposite to convention.

We have also made BD's with copies of customer grips, grips on bows that archers love, but want our bows, so as long as we have a model of it, and it looks structurally sound, we can shape it for you.

rusty craine

Sid - this is the first Black Douglas I have shot. I must say it is an oustanding shooter and a handsome bow.

rusty

Last edited:

jmvargas

i just asked sid sr if they were going to do ILF wooden risers in the future...he said they are now working on ILF black douglas prototypes and plan to make this available from 15" all the way up to 25" in 2" increments......now that's exciting!!....

rusty craine

I got to shoot the Black Douglas an hour this evening. Still didn't really tune the bow yet. I got a new Jeager tab I wanted to try. I took a picutre tring to get the right color temp of the riser. There are actually 3 arrows in the group on the left side. lower one is hiding under the left most.

I was shooting split finger middle finger anchor. this was my "become the arrow - split vision - gapping - instinctive style". I refer to my style of this shooting as the "poke and hope". This group shows what happens if I don't pay close attention to the finger pressure distribution on the tab. too much bottom finger and I get two groups.

BD is a delight to shoot. Jeager tab is going to be a great tab for target work. I think I like a more flexible tab when shooting 62" bow. I shoot hunting bows with more pressure on my middle finger and lighten the amount of the bottom finger as part of my release pre. Did not work quite as well with the Jeager. With a low Oly release I really like it.

Black Douglas Hex 5 W ?(stringwalkerbowhunter?)

scrol down to second pic if ya want to see the tab.

rusty