The Black Douglas ILF wooden target riser

rusty craine

Since I placed my order for a 23" Black Douglas Triple Carbon wooden ILF riser well before Borders put the riser in production, I have had time to think about exactly why Borders would bring out a wooden target riser? In a world that the archery community is interested in the "open wheeled formula one car" target risers, offering a wooden ILF target riser was a brave thing to do.

Actually I knew the answer from the moment I sent Sid the email to put me on the list for the triple carbon. to stay with the car analogy

If you had to ask the question then you might not understand the answer. :)

i made the mistake on posting the arrival of my BD riser on another thread I started. I know that bkurpis (scotland) is setting up one and Buejeger (norway) has one on the way. (BTW Buejeger is a porfessional photographer) Brian and I have already exchange some experiences. I'd like to hear and see about others experience with their BD ILF risers (when ya get one. can't be too many of them out there yet)

Maybe Sid will let us have our own cult thread :)

rusty

JohnK

I used to live almost exactly opposite the Morgan factory, Rusty. An interesting place to wander around.

buejeger

Cant tell you how much i am looking forward to it arriving..... my Bernardini Mamba is going to be fighting it for the hex 5s.... :D

Rest assured full report and mucho gratuitous bow pron will follow :D

Nice looking riser Rusty.... mine is all black... mmmmmm

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Good idea this Rusty :) Here's my set-up...

19" riser and HexV H longs on it for field. HexV W shorts on standby for bowhunting

BorderBows

There only about half a dozen risers out there so far... But there are some 15 getting close to being ready to ship.

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Sid

Rusty's riser looks superb. Four inches longer than mine and with a little bit more wood in it. What wood does Rusty have in his? I'm still waiting for a close up or two though ;) It will be fun and interesting to see some of the other ones. Hopefully some of the happy owners will post photos here :)

rusty craine

craftsmanship, quality the best. very handsome riser

practicing a 18 meter fixed anchor gap. I'm no much of a gapper but the Texas Recurve Championship is 6/26. ya have to shoot a fixed anchor (3D shoot). I am not at my best judging distance and fixed anchor. that is OK I'll take lots fo arrows :)

I tuned on the springy rest this morning. got the bow to vertical. limbs are Borders CXG Mediums 38#. arrow are cx predators 600 30" with 125gr field points. arrow flight is good. i'll have to shoot a few more ends to tell if my group is centered. :) the poorer shot you are them more arrows it takes to tune.

rusty

buejeger

not fair!

all those lovely pics... mine is somewhere between Scotland and Norway....

All black Heritage Midnight..... mmm mmm mmm :yummy:

rusty craine

Buej - sorry :) I am looking forward to your pictures.

Brian - I just told Sid to select the woods. I am not to particular about wood but I do like the subtle contasts in the Black Douglas risers I have seen or shot. I much prefer a handsome riser to a pretty riser...if ya see what I mean.

shooting the Black Douglas has that 1960's cozy feel to me, like going home again. some of todays alloy risers are cut so far past center they leave the arrow isolated in space. seems to make the string blur a sperate part of the aim. Black Douglas gets my string blur, power stroke (well if I get my elbow around) and arrow all warm and cozy. tight and tidy cuts the lefty/righty down for me. I shot my PB indoors score with a Warfed Black Bear riser (old compound riser converted to ILF). by feel when shooting they seem to have about the same amount of cut passed center. for me that is a good thing.
'
rusty

EVC

craftsmanship, quality the best. very handsome riser

rusty
OMG, Brian's is beautiful but yours is simply gorgeous! (IMO.) I'd better lock that credit card in a safe place (just bought a new pair of HEX-5 so...)

In the future my HEX-5s may match with one of these.

Congratulations to the both of you fellas.

Elder.

PS: I guess ballance is good enough to require just a relatively small weight. Is that right?

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
EVC

That's the cool thing about wood vs metal risers. The different selection of woods can create many quite different (unique) looking end products. With metal it's usually just a different colour paint or anodising :)

rusty craine

Elder - i really like the way about 200 gms of weight on the stabilizer boss feels on the Black Douglas during the follow thru. I use a finger sling. riser has implus striagth forward and level. ends near vertical with very little movement over all

most of the classes I'll be shooting the Black Douglas in preclude external weights. sans external weight the riser impluses striaght forward and level then the top limb falls back toward me a few degress. very good balance of a wooden riser without external wieght.

rusty

buejeger

mine got here today! :poulies:

very nice indeed, shoot wonderfully and is quick as something smelly from the back end of a dog flying off a greased shovel!

preliminary speed tests at my 8 stitch / 20 meter crawl are showing:

388 grains (7.3 gpp) 215 fps!

585 grains (11 gpp) 184 fps

700 grains (13.2 gpp) 167 fps

Now just very quick tests. after final tuning and more tests I expect the figures to change, but not by much!

But best of all.. she is a looker too!

BorderBows

We cant thank those who placed the original orders enough for their patience... these first bows took a while to get out.

We have one fellow who canceled his order when we phoned up to tell him it was ready... Its a shame, its a stunner.

Its a 23" all heritage midnight like Nathans, but in gloss.
It has some matched black Hex5 H limbs with grey Celtic symbols on the limbs making a 66" bow. Its a stunner, it 50lbs at 30" making it more like 45lbs at 28" if i remember correctly.
The whole bow sparkles.

Shame he coudnt wait any longer, but hey, someone will fall for its luster!

That was the only cancelation out all the patient people.
Its those pesky bolts that took their time. Had to buy our own lathe and work out how to use it to solve delivery issues. That and the dovetail slots.
Should be a nice snug fit though!

I should say... There is a locking grub screw in the back of the brass work. When the bow is strung you can lock the grub screws to hold the limb bolt settings.
The Bolt heads are designed to be used by hand, but if you get a issue, then a E20 Torx head socket ot spanner holds them nice. We wanted a Different look, but still hold a function (Made to fit the E20 socket....) We dont really recomend a 16mm spanner, but it does hold a little.
The Floating Nylon topcap, shouldn't mark the limbs as the angle that the limb sits at (wound in VS wound out) is accomodated by the float. It also drops away to give finger access, but yet hide them while the bow has limbs in it. We didnt think adjusting your bow with limbs in it was a neat idea.