Black douglas string length

Ali

One of the guy's at our club has turned up with a beautifull Border black douglas bow, it is 58" 45lb at 28" draw. What he needs is a new string, I have no idea of the string length required can anybody help me please. I presume it is Dacron and 14 strand.

Any help much appreciated

jon_m

AMO standards would have your string length 3" less than AMO length of the Bow. Sid would have to advise on brace height depending on limb model, but I would guess at 8" +/-1/2". do you have the old string as a guide?

I found this really neat string-jig for Flemish twists (v.compact @ 28") - it easily gets you various lengths including tails for loops, and even feathers the ends..!

www3 sympatico ca ragiwarmbear diy flemish flemish html

The recomendation here is for bow length less 4" - I'd knock up a couple and see what works.... ;-)

Ali

Unfortunately we do not have an old string to measure, also any ideas on brace height for a 58" bow?

BorderBows

Unfortunately we do not have an old string to measure, also any ideas on brace height for a 58" bow?
What age is it? or whats the serial number? what limbs does it have on it.
I can advise then if its dacron only and also the BH range

BorderBows

that sounds like an old one!
that pre-dates the books we have.
it looks like its feb 1975.

But thats guessing...
Do you have any photos as there are some folks on here looking for photos of old bows?