Black Osprey Flat Bow

cossers

I recently bought a very nice Border Black Osprey Flat bow 2nd hand but in excellent condition

It is rated at 55lbs draw weight, 70" length and serial no 3047 FK

Can you tell me anything about my bow, when it was made, the limb construction ( carbon? ) brace height range and if fast flight compatible

It is lovely to shoot and dramatically better than any of the other AFB that i have shot, i just wasn't able to get much info from the previous owner

Thanks in anticipation

Paul

BorderBows

its part of the Falcon, Osprey, Griffon trio.

Im Glad its decidedly better than other flatbows. Its actually VERY high tech for a flatbow.

The Falcon was a Glass Griffon, It had a exotic hardwood riser, and most has bamboo cores.
The Griffon, at that time was a double carbon bow, in that it had clear glass over a vaneer, then a lamination of carbon. with the same options as the Griffon in the riser.
The Ospray was a workmans bow based on the Griffon. in that there were cost savings in the plain jane heritage timer riser. No accent lines in the grip.

NOW for the interesting part.

normal bow glass is bread and butter cheap stuff when it comes to bow making. Anyone and everyone is using the stuff.
Its something Howard Hill started using back in the day when telly was black and white and not so common.

We had a chance to make a Beast to outperform the Beauties mentioned above.

The carbon content was higher. but it used a EXPENSIVE S2 glass, and not the simple E Glass. We had to make our own composits to use this stuff. and it makes for a very good bow.
these couldnt have a fancy vaneer under it. so we called them the black series.
One Black Griffon has set some world records in the hands of a VERY compitent lady archer... its taken World field titles with it.

so that basically what you have there, a workman version of a very quick bow.

We have since managed to combine the beauty and the beast in the GL bows, removing the Glass entirely and gone with a GlassLess bow.
There is NOT a single stitch of glass in the limbs of our modern GL flatbows.
INfact we dont use ANY glass fiber in any of our current product other than a Glass Cross bow prod

cossers

Thanks very much for the information , very interesting

Are you able to date my bow from the Serial number ?

And what is the brace height range you would recommend ?

Thanks again