CLICK TO REGISTER FOR THE AIUK IRONMAN
Discuss Border mistral riser at the Border Archery within Archery Interchange Forums; Hi. Could anyone one here give me some advise about setting up one of these ...
    In the White
    Thanks

Border mistral riser

Hi.
    Could anyone one here give me some advise about setting up one of these risers. I realise that it's an old one but I like it better than some of the cheap die cast stuff.im using 66" sf premiums.i'm just wondering if I'Ve got my tiller correct and brace hight right. Tiller is about 1/4" and brace hight is just 8 3/8".it doesn't shoot too bad,just want to know if I'm in the ball park. Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boogy For This Useful Post:

rmonclermc10071 (05-12-17)

3. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only £1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    I do think you're in the ballpark, yes. The Mistral is the one with independent limb pockets? Tiller is around the maximum I'd guess (I usually work in milimetres, so 1-5mm) but the brace height will be around 8-9"
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Timid Toad For This Useful Post:

In the White
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. Can you tell me what determines tiller, is it the size of your hand or am I off track. All I have done is set the bow up with a guide of the net.

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not really. Tiller enables your limbs to come to a halt at the same time, at the end of the power stroke. Some of it will be affected by your hand size, but also how high above the true centre of the bow the rest and button is, the geometry of the riser and how the limbs were made. So it's quite an empirical thing.
    If it shoots nicely without "limb flap" you're in the ballpark, again. You'll feel the flutter if it's wrong. Getting it precisely right is down to how consistently you shoot and the style you shoot (3 fingers under, Mediterranean, stringwalk etc) and if you are using stabilisers, all of which affect the balance of the bow.

So my suggestion would be to leave things where they are for now, and do some decent bareshaft tuning at 30m if you can. Once you the bow and arrows are working well together ask your self if you can feel limb flap. If you choose to tweak tiller, you'll need to address you nocking point and possibly brace height again, hopefully a minor tweak. Make sure you don't lose track of your starting point (keep notes) so if it all goes nasty you can reset back to 1/4" and 8 3/4".
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Timid Toad For This Useful Post:

In the White
    Thanks
    Thanks you, Iíll see how todayís shoot goes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boogy For This Useful Post:

In the White
    Thanks
    Finally got the chance to have some time on the range to mess around with the bow. I finally settled on 9" brace and 1/8" tiller. Finally fitted my stabilisers and I was very impressed,the bare shaft at 30m landed in the main group.happy man now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boogy For This Useful Post: