Border Popular bow

Ali

I have a very nice looking Popular 64" bow but I don't have a string, due to it's age I was thinking about useing Dacron material but don't know how many strands to use. Does anyone know roughly how old it is? It's serial no is 56007410.

Thanks

Ali

BorderBows

Aaarrrr, When i was a lad!

Well, we dont have any records of that age of bow. The reason is due to space. We have never made any Populars while in this building. Which means your bow must have been made in the 60's. 1960's, not the 1860's :raspberry

Good to see its still looking strong.

Dacron Only, with meduim to heavy arrows. Average draw weights need about 16 strands, that is 30-45lbs.

Hope this helps

Meddler

I have a very nice looking Popular 64" bow
Does anyone know roughly how old it is? It's serial no is 56007410.

Thanks

Ali
I seem to remember those... given the serial number it wouldn't be a 1974 vintage, manufactured in October, would it?

1974 ties in with the time I think I last saw one. One piece, darkwood (rosewood?) handle, fairly slim, shallow riser? Sight window a bit on the short side?

Iain.

BorderBows

Looked into this!

Your right, it is Oct 1974. It was bow 560 of that year.

As there is no info on that bow or that era, then we have to go on what Dave says. Which is: there were a few finished off up here in this building, but the bulk of them were made mid to late 60's, very early 70's.

We moved to this building in 1975.

Based on this info, we can be fairly sure its one of the newer ones out there.

Ali

Thanks for the info I thought it might have been younger than that. Would you like a picture of it posted?

Meddler

Oh go on, then. :)

If nothing else, just to confirm to me it was the one I was thinking about.

IIRC Aberdeen Uni AC bought a load of them c. 1975.

Iain.

Ali

Ok I have made a new string for a 64" bow as this is the length marked on the bow but it is way to short, I have measured the bow unstrung tip to tip and it is 66" could it have been marked wrong?