Borders on my new bow? HELP!

TGStan

After an over-long break from archery I'm returing to the sport and searching for a high performance bow. As my location (bowhunter-happy New England, USA) is prohibitive of me trying any substantial number of high quality products I'm relying primarily on feedback from fellow archers such as yourselves in making these selections. Not the optimium, nor my first choice, but I'm left with no alternative.

I am most seriously considering a carbon riser by W&W. I like the idea of the stability afforded by the carbon construction, as well as the relative weight. Though it is new and there is little to no feedback I am considering the TF Apecs riser - if rigidity is appealing, this seems to be one of the better options, coupled with the other benefits of carbon construction.

LIMBS - N Apecs? Apecs Prime? BORDER? I am intrigued by Border limbs, hence my asking in this forum. What do we think of Border limbs compared to the new W&W offerings? Why should I choose Border limbs, or should I? Finally, WHICH Border limb would suit me, if any? Why? Hex5 perhaps, is the Hex6 available anytime soon?

Answers to some questions I saw BorderBows ask someone with an inquiry similar to mine that may provide helpful information:

Using the variations of the arm-span measuring I come up with about 29.5 for a draw length. I use a 30.5" arrow outside.

I currently shoot an older wood-core carbon limb "PSE Zone;" I have read on other forums that these may have been manufactured by W&W and re-branded?

I intend to shoot 40-45# on the fingers.

I have substantial shooting experience (albeit some years ago) including 1300fita rounds and 580+ indoor 18m. I intened to, time permitting, use this bow to compete at the highest level my ability will allow.

When I left the sport in the USA we had two choices - PSE, or Hoyt. So much simpler! But now, frankly, I have no interest in the products offered by these companies.

Sorry for typing for so much, thanks very much for your help!

Last edited:

jmvargas

hi...your comment on pse and hoyt products caught my attention and i would like to share my thoughts on the matter....i too have totally disregarded hoyt recurve limbs as i feel they have been overtaken by the koreans and border in this area....i started with hoyt vectors and M1s for indoor and short distances but switched to win & win, pse(also made by win & win). samick and now also borders when i started shooting outdoor and the long distances up to 90m..i currently own 2 limbs by win & win and a border HEX5-H....
hoyt risers are excellent risers but unfortunately are a bit too heavy for me...i had 2 elans and 2 matrixes...
i then discovered the pse x-factor which is a light, soft and nicely balanced riser and was hooked....i am a senior archer and could not comfortably handle the total mass weight of my hoyt risers and the full v-bar set-up i originally had during long shooting sessions....after a lot of research i changed to the x-factor with a single rod and backweight and front damper....it works for me and i highly recommend it for those who want less weight to carry and a responsive and nicely balanced riser...i have had 5 x-factors pass my hands over the past 5 years and still have 3 of them and use them exclusively...i only changed when i wanted another color or a later year model...the pse x-factor is entering in 7th year of production and is one of the longest surviving top of the line risers out there....unfortunately it is not being well promoted by pse inspite of its excellent design features...JMHO...PS...i only got my borders last dec 24 but so far i am very pleased with them and i am almost certain they are not going to be the last borders i will own....

BorderBows

there is not much i can say...
We agree with your observations, and can only add that if you agree with torsional resistance in a limb being forgiving of release vairiations. and you agree that speed need not come at the cost of stability, then im sure the smooth feel of any of our limbs would fit your bill.
We do have a return to us within 28days if not happy policy, and recieve a product refund, only 2 catches are, we would like a explaination why you didnt like them for feedback reasons, and the cost of the postage is something you would need to foot, as we are holding the cost of making some custom limbs for you.

We understand thats a bigger challenge for some, but 28 days to test a pair of limbs in your own home, in your own time is something that you can ponder over.

This is how we deal with not having dealers everywhere.

Any limbs above our CXG and including the CXG would be capable of handling the challenges of the W&W limbs from the feedback we have on the INNO.
We would have said that the TXG would be a competitor to the INNO, and since then we have saved 350 grains off the mass of the limb on average, and doubled the torsional resistance to make the CXG, then there is the Hex4 and Hex5 in wood and hyperflex core options

Big Dave

Hi TGStan welcome to the forum.

Border limbs are the best money can buy!!
Border is a small British company building bows and limbs for many decades which in the UK is an acheivement in it's self but this is only because they make quality kit and people will pay for that. At the club I shoot at the majority of the established Archers are shooting border limbs we all have to travel quite away to are closest archery pro shop that stocks all the top name makers kit and will let you try before you buy. so we have all shot the big name brands that the top olympic archers use and then compare them against Borders at the end of the day we want the arrows to land in the X ring and Borders let you do that with ease.
I shoot Border CXG limbs which I love the only big name limbs that I have shot that come close are Win&Win inno limbs all the others it will wipe the floor with and these are not there top of the range limbs which are the HEX 5's and these are something else. I looked around the net for peoples opinon's on these and they have been sold to people all over the world and the all say the same thing about them they love them!!

Also 3 things you need to Know about Border and there kit are that

1) Border has very good customer service.

2) There Limbs are FLIPPING QUICK!!!

3) The limb tec is many years ahead of the big name makers.