End Loops!!!

cestria

Fonz Awardee
I wonder if there is a recommended or optimum size of loop and serving material for Hex 5 end loops.
The reason I ask is, I was practice drawing (coming to anchor then letting down) my bow at home in front of the mirror to try a new anchor, when the bow decided to un-string itself :boggled:. After I restarted my heart I tried to work out what happened. It is possible that I may not have had the limbs pushed home, but I wondered if I had made the string loops too big (if that is possible).
I was shooting the bow on Sunday with no problem.

JohnK

I haven't had this problem, but I suppose it's possible if the end loops are a bit long. I'll measure the loops on mine later tonight or tomorrow and let you know. :)

BorderBows

im not assuming anything here, but just for information, and if its applicable then we all learn.

All archers are tought to pull a bow, but we are often not tought to let down a bow. we are sure that with a loose bow hand this problem would go away or with a straight tracking draw hand on the let down movement would stop this.
large loops might be an issue, if you have further concern send us a photo of the back and belly sides of the tips so that we can see the shoulders of the nocks by email and we can help you to solve this if it persists.

Nor'easter

I make my loops 1" on bottom and 1 1/2" on the top limb, never had a problem. I'd say either your loops are too big, string wasn't set in grooves completely, or grooves on bow not correct.

BorderBows

we have a friend that somehow cant let hex5 limbs down, He either has a tight grip on letdown, which torques the bow, or pulls the string off line with the draw hand on letting it down.
The bow in question was my Dads ultra with hex5 limbs, all other people that demo it, pull it and let it down with ease, while this one guy failed on all 3 attempts. We are tought to pull a bow, but not many of us are tought to let it down. He has some techneque issues we couldnt figure out.

But your right,
Loops or shoulders are to blame. if the loops dont sort it, send us some photos...
This does assume that the bow is straight in its limb pockets, and not rotationally out, or one limb off to one side.

Big Dave

I wonder if there is a recommended or optimum size of loop and serving material for Hex 5 end loops.
The material I use for my end loops is brownell No4 which is double served so it sits snug around the limb tip and helps spread the load on the limb tip. about 1.5" for top loop and the bottom loop is not mesured I have a sherwood jig which I use one of the posts as a referance so that when end loop is served, it is very tight to get off the post. had no problems so far with my CXG limbs which have a similar size limb tip to the hex 5's.

JohnK

The loops on my string are around the 1in mark, with the top one being a bit longer as is the norm.

cestria

Fonz Awardee
I've made a new string with smaller loops. I haven't had the time (nerve) to try the practice draw to se if I can let it down without the bow unstringing itself.