Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Discuss Fiberbow with Border limbs? at the Border Archery within Archery Interchange Forums; On the subject of riser weight, the Fiberbow risers are the lightest available, at just ...
    In the Blue AIUK subscriber.

On the subject of riser weight, the Fiberbow risers are the lightest available, at just over 600 grams, and most other 25" risers weigh 1100 grams or more, carbon risers included. There is one intermediate option, which is seldom mentioned (probably due to price/availability issues), but which may have a place in the case of someone that needs less mass on a Olympic or barebow recurve: the italian Smartriser XM1, which I have almost never seen mentioned on these discussions. It is a full CNC machined 25" Olympic riser, with a structure reinforced with carbon fiber plates, that has 910 grams of mass: heavier than all the Fiberbow models, but lighter than conventional metal or carbon risers.

It is expensive, but, other than that, I would really like to know why is it never mentioned in these discussions about riser mass. Any potential pitfalls/faults that I am not aware of, perhaps?

I do have one, purchased secondhand, and it is my primary riser. I feel it would perhaps be a good solution to a riser mass problem; not as extreme or radical (from a mass perspective) as a Fiberbow, but closer to a conventional riser, with a big enough difference to give (perhaps) the necessary relief.

Or is there something I don't know?

To the OP: good luck with your quest. I do think your proposed solution (Fiberbow + Border) is a very good one. I did find that my XM1 was, initially, too imprecise, until I added some more weight to the stabilizers setup. I believe it will happen to you too, if you are used to a normally heavy riser. I have, with a lighter riser, much heavier stabs, bur the overall weight is still quite a bit less than the old setup, with a 1270 gram riser.

DF

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the White
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrois View Post
    On the subject of riser weight, the Fiberbow risers are the lightest available, at just over 600 grams, and most other 25" risers weigh 1100 grams or more, carbon risers included. There is one intermediate option, which is seldom mentioned (probably due to price/availability issues), but which may have a place in the case of someone that needs less mass on a Olympic or barebow recurve: the italian Smartriser XM1, which I have almost never seen mentioned on these discussions. It is a full CNC machined 25" Olympic riser, with a structure reinforced with carbon fiber plates, that has 910 grams of mass: heavier than all the Fiberbow models, but lighter than conventional metal or carbon risers.

It is expensive, but, other than that, I would really like to know why is it never mentioned in these discussions about riser mass. Any potential pitfalls/faults that I am not aware of, perhaps?

Or is there something I don't know?

To the OP: good luck with your quest. I do think your proposed solution (Fiberbow + Border) is a very good one. I did find that my XM1 was, initially, too imprecise, until I added some more weight to the stabilizers setup. I believe it will happen to you too, if you are used to a normally heavy riser. I have, with a lighter riser, much heavier stabs, bur the overall weight is still quite a bit less than the old setup, with a 1270 gram riser.

DF
    Well, I have a XM1 riser too and use it as my primary bow. As you say, it needs a small additional weight. For me, in the form of a damper and a weight in the upper thread. Also have limbsavers om my lims, it makes the whole setup much quieter. The downside of small amount of weight and hard aluminium makes the bow noisy, regardless of the internal damping.
    The upside of this riser is very good performance when my form is good, I can consistently shoot very good results. The downside is that bad shots translate to really bad hits. I guess it's because the XM1 has less deflex than most risers.
    For field archery I find that a forgiving bow works much better, it is not possible to avoid an odd stance and angle from a lot of filed targets.

In the Blue AIUK subscriber.

Quote Originally Posted by bojo View Post
    ... I guess it's because the XM1 has less deflex than most risers. ...
    Are you sure about that? Without measuring, I would have guessed it has more than most...certainly limbs mounted on it have less poundage than on my other risers: Spig Revolution (now there's a riser with little deflex!), W&W ProAccent, and even my wife's AL1. For me, the damper up top didn't improve things much, but increasing all the weights on the stabs did...also, the original grip, while lovely, is too rounded for me, and results improved a lot when I made a new one, flatter, narrower and slimmer at the top of the curve. My guess is that hand size is not universal...but I digress, and must apologize to the OP. Thread hijack finished.
    DF

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Always worth checking the deflex, Border limbs hate straight risers. And straight risers can be twitchy to shoot, unless you weigh them down like a packhorse, which in this case rather defeats the object. I've been trying to find the deflex of the new Fiberbow, but no joy so far.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Ah, found it...
    Just beware, a lot of deflex means your limbs will weigh lower than that marked, so you might need to drop a spine or two.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Fiberbow has average 1/2" more deflex than old traditional Hoyt geometry, but precharges angle is 15 same as majority of risers so should not affect arrow speed offers increased stability in the hand.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123