Help

martin guy

I was just admiring my Black Douglas and I noticed the riser is cracked right above the pivot point, on the arrow shelf. I does not go all the way through to the handle, it does look like it extends over to the sight window though.
I have been shooting it, (of course I didn't know it was cracked)it seems fine.
Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Andy

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
It is difficult to see from the picture whether or not the crack looks new.
If the crack looks clean down inside(check with a magnifying glass) it is probably new. If it is new, it could still be growing, but it could also mean that something happened recently, that caused it to crack.
That part of the bow sticks out a bit like a nose and can get knocked.
Can you press the crack so that it closes?

I'd pull the rest off and see if the crack has travelled underneath there as well. If it has I'd get a bowyer to check it out if not I think I'd carry on shooting it but keeping an eye on it. After all you may have had the crack for a while and it may not get any worse, of course if you have a highish poundage it may make the crack enlarge quicker.
In the end it's your decision.
If after taking advice the bow checks out OK I suppose you could rake the crack out slightly and fill with epoxy resin and then french polish.

BorderBows

it looks like that bow has shot some light weight arrows or something like that.
We have had some issues in germany where people were shooting sub 8grains per pound out of the bows and thats where exactly that crack appears.
We introduced the CX upgrade for people that wanted to shoot 6gpp, and we have now made that standard.
We have our "No fault replacement scheme" to help original owners who have problems outside of normal warrenty, hunting accidents, car door impacts or cracks like this past the 1 year warrenty date. This generally involves a discount closer to cost due to that archer choosing us, so we try to support them back.

We now have a Write Down warrenty up to 3 years. where the No fault replacement kicks in after that, or for non-Materials/workmanship issues.

Send [email protected] a wee email about this and we will see what we can do

I wouldnt shoot it either. A broken riser is a broken riser no matter what we you look at it.

Last edited:

1bjd

Exactly!

Sid,

That is exactly the response I expected from you! Also the reason my limbs and bow will be from your company. Not only is Border on the cutting edge of technology your customer service is #1.
I believe martin guy if he said he did not shoot light arrows. He also did not buy the bow new. Some time in the past lighter arrows may have been used.
When the string is loosed energy has to go somewhere. If not enough is transfered to the arrow it will go back to the bow as vibration-SHOCK.
There is a very small window on light arrows I would tend to stay on the safer side.

John

D

Deleted member 7654

I'd like to see a pic from slightly further back so I can see how it relates to the whole riser.
From what I can see it looks fairly innocuous.
To fill with epoxy, put some araldite prcision on it and warm it with a hot air gun, the epoxy will go very runny and capillary action will draw it into the crack, the blast from the hot air gun can also be used to direct the liquefied epoxy into the crack. Mind you don't get it too warm or heat near any glue lines, could wrap sensitive areas with insulation.
Hmmm maybe just forget this advice :eek: ...I don't want to get blamed for a de-laminated bow!
Del