Hex5-H

C

Carebear11

Hey everyone,

Im in the market for new limbs, and as you may have guessed a set of Hex5-H limbs are what I have had my eye on. My current Border limbs are amazing and I love them but I just need new ones.

So what Im looking for is just the full low down on the Hex5-H limbs, performance, construction, price, etc.

Cheers!.

JohnK

I think Sid is either still on holiday or catching up after his holiday :)

The HEXV limb is by far the smoothest and fastest limb I have ever shot, an opinion my coach (former GB archer and a very successful coach) agrees with. An archer I know dropped 5lbs going from Innos to HEXVs and only lost 3fps using the same arrows (and yes, they tuned out of both). Rod on this forum reported in his blog that he dropped poundage and yet still achieved better sight marks with X10s than he did with his old set up shooting ACEs.

The design has been extensively tested, to destruction where necessary, and shot on high-poundage field bows before making it to the target market.

I have recently received my HEXVs and am amazed at the feel and speed. I have never had sight marks this good, or with such a small gap between distances (2cm on the sight track between 40 yards and 60 yards).

A hell of a lot of work goes into the limbs, and the price reflects that (?400+ for the Hyperflex core option), but you also get probably the best after-sales service in the market.

Sorry I can't be more specific with facts and figures. I'm sure others will chime in soon. :)

C

Carebear11

Well Thanks John K, but yeah I kinda want to get some facts and figures about the limbs, Ill need Sid for that tho!

Oh but one other question, are there any top internationals or lets say international competing archers shooting the Hex-H limb?

Good Sir Pete

Oh but one other question, are there any top internationals or lets say international competing archers shooting the Hex-H limb?
That doesn't necessarily depend on limb performance... sponsorship more like, and I'm not sure border sponsors archers any more.

Good Sir Pete

All I can say is, if I had the money (which I do but that's going on a lovely guitar so I can't really complain :s) I'd have the HexVs!!!

JohnK

Well Thanks John K, but yeah I kinda want to get some facts and figures about the limbs, Ill need Sid for that tho!

In field archery, possibly, although Sid would know more about that. There isn't as much sponsorship in field, so it doesn't have that much impact on the choice people make.

In target, none that I know of. Border do not sponsor, and so a top archer who could use nearly any top limb or riser and score well is more likely to go with gear they could be sponsored to shoot. Some shops that stock Border bows sponsor archers, but they can usually only offer a small reduction in price *or* they team up with a manufacturer to sponsor.

Border limbs have been shot at the top level, and there's no reason why they can't be used to shoot top scores again.

Some claim that sponsorship doesn't really affect choice of equipment. However:

1. Top archers have to meet a lot of costs to compete (travel, entry fees, kit costs, etc.) as well as paying their bills. Their resources are limited, so they (or their team managers) are going to get what they can. This is entirely reasonable.

2. If sponsorship didn't affect equipment choice, why would the sponsors waste their money?

danilo5t

In my opinion sponsorship has a lot to do with champion's choice of equipment,
but I wonder if the equipment champions use is the same the rest of us use.
You all know the problems that limbs suffer, they break or they are not straight,
the same with arrows, it is sometime difficult to find 6 grouping arrows in a 12 tube.
I believe the equipment used by the champions is either made especially for them,
or is selected from a large free available lot.
So sponsorship is not just a money matter but also an equipment matter to supply the
champions with the best equipment a brand can produce.
For the rest of us the situation is different, we have to be lucky to find a good set
of limbs, and they are expensive!
Moreover, some brands moved production to China to reduce production cost, what about quality?
In the end I choose to order a set of HEX5 from Border for the reasons you all know:
quality, technology, service.
I just hope to receive the limbs in time to test them outdoor.

best regards to all,
Danilo.

Next Generation

I was at the Andoba FITA Star and saw a pair, they look really nice very recurved though, I dont know Much about the limb but when the limbs snapped in the middle lots of people seemed to say about this happening. I don want to spread rumours im just saying from what people said to this guy the hyperflex core limbs seem to have a habbit of doing this. I was just wandering if the extra recurve in the limbs might cause this or would it be thre wrong bracing height since they did look very different in profile to other limbs ive seen.

Anyway I have shot Hex IVs and love them so theese new ones sound great

BorderBows

I was at the Andoba FITA Star and saw a pair, they look really nice very recurved though, I dont know Much about the limb but when the limbs snapped in the middle lots of people seemed to say about this happening. I don want to spread rumours im just saying from what people said to this guy the hyperflex core limbs seem to have a habbit of doing this. I was just wandering if the extra recurve in the limbs might cause this or would it be thre wrong bracing height since they did look very different in profile to other limbs ive seen.

Anyway I have shot Hex IVs and love them so theese new ones sound great
I can say, to help set the record straight, that the Hyperflex core has been used in the ML2 limb onwards.
It is the choice of core that has held the TXG, TX40 Gold, Merlin Elite limbs together for years and has been extensivly dry fired (over 4500 times)
I can say that there are many rumours about many products, and many damaging comments made, Not sure if "these people" you spoke to know what they are saying and how damageing rumours and hear say like the details of these ones can be. I dont think there are many companies that can vouch that their core material is tested over 6 years of shooting by archers all over the world, other than Maple, which is a choice of core other than Hyperflex if you are concerned about Hyperflex for what ever reason.
The core can withstand heavy bow weights up to 80lbs, and is happy with light weight arrows for the respective draw weight.
As for the Recurve shape:
Have a look for "borderbows" on YouTube and you can see for yourself that the hex5 recurve shape and materials are very capable of handling the loadings of life as a limb up to the normal draw lengths. Especially when the limb gave way at over 47" of draw on a 60" bow with a 17" riser.

As for the Wrong brace height. We are currently recomending that the hex5 works best with a lower brace height, (0.5" less than normal as a start)
This is still within the designed quiet region of the limbs.
We understand that Alan, (the gent, whos limb broke that you mention) was well aware of the BH and was within the recomended range.

If you have any further concerns about our products we would be happy to answer you, all you need to do is send us a PM or Email me.

This subject has been handled yesterday, and has also been handled with a crafty link to the previous appreance by Clickerati today (thanks for that one Clickerati) And now it appears again.

JohnK

Unlikely to be anything to do with the core material - it's been proven in use for some time, and on heavy field bows before target limbs. The recurve shape has also been proven in the same way.

Sid has been very open about the challenges Border has faced with staffing levels and sourcing good materials, which are not easy things to overcome when you're a small company.

End of the day, all limbs break. Sometimes it's bad luck, sometimes it's a small fault in the process or materials that manifests under widespread use. Ultimately what really matters is whether the company in question stands behind its product, and I'm willing to bet that no company does that better than Border.

Next Generation

Well thats fine I just queried it and guessed it was another rumour like the G3 delamination thing. One thing I did wander was is there any Border suppliers in the south east of England Since I couldnt find much on the wbsite due to it being under construction.
Thanks
P.S Sorry if it sounded like I was spreading rumours it doesnt seem to matter how many times I learn I should keep my mouth closed it doesnt seem to help

BorderBows

Linecutter, Bowplus and Wales archery are your most likely places to have our limbs.

not sure if they have much in stock, as the costs involved in stocking one of every type of limb is a costly buisness.
We understand these pressures, and we are working on our own stock to allow these guys a better chance to get some easier access to our product.
We have noted that we must be hard to deal with for these guys, due to having to wait for a order to be made, or just sell a Hoyt, W&W or Samick.

Were are working hard on many fronts to update Border Archerys Image, interms of Ease of accessability, Product understanding within Archers, and still keep a competitive product on our books.

With the staff shortages, we have not been able to pay as much attention to the website, and to our stock lists as we would like to. And these are Vital for us. We are a small team of guys (10 in the workshop, and 3 in the office) and we take raw planks, and wet rolls of carbon and make bows from scratch with them. We need to sort out some details on our product, like the Hex5's not fitting the foam box liners, like the TXG/B's do. But first of all we are aiming to get our Waiting list in check.
We are very much in touch with our product, care for it and take each and every mishap with alot of stress and damage to our pride. When we sell a bow, we try our best to get to know the archer and we almost dont want our bows to leave our hands, as some people abuse there bows, and if they know the attention that went into them, like we know, then they would probably treat them better, at least infront of us :eek:ptimist:.

Good Sir Pete

We are very much in touch with our product, care for it and take each and every mishap with alot of stress and damage to our pride. When we sell a bow, we try our best to get to know the archer and we almost dont want our bows to leave our hands, as some people abuse there bows, and if they know the attention that went into them, like we know, then they would probably treat them better, at least infront of us :eek:ptimist:.
lol, sounds like i should get me a pair: i'm the sort of person who's had the original iPod nano for 3 years and still without any scratches on it!

pfeilflug

We need our own workshops.

Hi danilo, you say:
In the end I choose to order a set of HEX5 from Border for the reasons you all know:
quality, technology, service.
I just hope to receive the limbs in time to test them outdoor.

and I add:
The added value as the job strength remains in the country.

Paul
Austria:beer:

BorderBows

Paul,
We try to buy locally for all our manufacuting needs. If the price is the same, we buy from local companies. The reason for this is that it supports local trade, it also means that if we have trouble with an item, we can go over and talk to them to see if they can help resolve the issue.
We agree, that there is a need to buy from local companies as it is like helping a neigbour, as you never know when you might need the help in return.

About 50+% of our product costs are tax. between employment tax, VAT, corporation tax ect. Im not sure if the same costs are added (benefits to our eruopean governments) if the product is imported from outside europe.
for example, all you get is VAT and some small import cost.probably equalling 30+%. They do have employment tax to pay on the product they make, but they employment costs are much less, so is the tax in return. But our socal service costs, Health, Security, education are not helped in europe if they employment tax is paid in an out of Europe country.

pfeilflug

Hi Ann, hi Sid, hi Dave

Highly Border lives. :beer:
To Thanks for answer and communication. Excuse my English.

I ventilate my hat. Those ones are words as they could come also about my lips.
The customer decides last at last what can be made in his environment at products and offered.
Live and let live. In the First Place naturally the neighbor.

Borderservice is from the finest. It begins already with the order and does not already after the payment of the product stop.
Your Bows are finest handicraft products, cover this special value into themselves and combine tradition with headway.

I request for our economy a lot such commercial production plant, as Border, in the neighborhood and that also still for our children. In the long run we survive particularly from production. All other one is subordinate that.

Each time, if I take my BD hex4 into the hand I sense my heart with his hit. It already took many arrows into the destination for me.
I own many bows and fired with that too, however, to any does not come only approximating onto the efficiency of my BD here.

I know no trademark that would not have cracked yet. Raw material are not always uniformly and thus not always computable.

Paul
?sterreich :beer:

BorderBows

Thank you for your kind words

You courage to use a second language in writing is more than mine, I dont have the courage to type in Spanish. Credit to you on that one.

I agree totally with you on the manufacturing is the key to "new" money
It is a great/positive way to employ people. It doesnt take money and shuffle it around the same people every day. It brings in money and allows them to shuffle it. For example one accountant doesnt employ a manufacturer, but a manufacturer does employ an accountant. If there is no goods pto get to market then there is no need for a road.
Lots of local manufacturers is abit like mother nature. You cant kill it as its exists on so many levels. but you can kill one big monoculture with one gene pool. I think all european governments need to take a look at Darwinism.
Biodiversity means you are diverse and more chance of success.

On a fun note, your 2 BDs with Hex5 limbs will be ready to ship in the next couple of days, so hopefully that will keep you smiling.

Sid and Co.

pfeilflug

Highly Border lives !

Sid & Co!

Excuse, I overlooked your answer. To Thanks for that.

You wrote:
On a fun note, your 2 BDs with Hex5 limbs will be ready to ship in the next couple of days, so hopefully that will keep you smiling.

That does it. :yummy:
You produce bows, incomparably in the world. High Tech traditionally packed in natural wood beauty.

Wood beauty nicely wrapped in innovative technique.

We are pleased very much.

Paul
Austria :beer: