Hex7 H limbs ILF setup vs COvert hunter hex7 H

Andrewlaw22

Hi guys

I'm looking for some objective opinions as I'm torn between getting the HEX7 H ILF For my win and win RCX 17 to make a 62 inch bow OR going full out and getting a covert hunter with the HEX7 H limbs (with all the trimmings).

I currently shoot off a rest and plunger and currently am part of an outdoor target club and I plan to shoot field/3d at unmarked distances. I don't hunt but may look to one day as at the back of my wife's parents is a forest for hunting in France.

obviously there is a massive price difference accounting for the riser. I was wondering performance-wise in comparison between the two set ups what performance difference am I paying for? Does this affect limb warranty, forgiveness, speed, arrow tuning? How might it compare with the hex6.5 BB2 on the CH/ILF set up?

i seem to wake up one day thinking of wanting one then another! Please put me out of my sleepless misery!

many thanks all

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I'm a hex7 ILF owner, and have shot them off W+W, a Vanquish and my personal favourite, a byBernardini Nilo. All send arrows like you know what off the proverbial shovel.

As to warranty, contact Border direct. They offer probably the most comprehensive warranty of all the major manufacturers, but if you are concerned, ask them! They have a fb page and they just love to chat.

Hex6 don't fit a CH riser. On an ILF riser or Black Douglas the 6s feel very easy and smooth, but nothing like Hex7. ILF 7s and the Covert Hunter are the fastest limbs out there, bar none.

Everyone I know who was flipping a coin between ILF and a full Covert Hunter ended up with the CH.

There are several reasons for this. The CH was designed as a whole bow. Limb pad angles and riser deflex are fixed for optimum limb performance, correct tiller, straightness etc. This gives it a unique feel and is unbelievably quiet. With ILF, Border has no control over the riser you use, and so they had to make compromises on performance to allow the user to make the adjustments they are accustomed to. Tiller and bh can be demanding, as can arrow choice, whereas the CH is much more forgiving. This isn't a problem for a target archer, as most of us know what we want and work at it till we get there. A field and hunting bow doesn't need 100yds and so you can use heavy punchy arrows which the CH was designed for.

While the Hex7s have a completely different feel to standard limbs (when I first tried them I thought they were breaking) as they do appear to have let-off, the Covert Hunter is unique.

Hope that's a little help.

BorderBows

the difference is about 3-4% more stored energy in the Covert Hunter, even when the limb bolts are tight down on an ILF.
the reason is the deflex.
with more deflex you can run a lower BH relative to the limbs. this allows us to play with the limbs design more.

with ILF you have to cut some of these ideas back a little, as you cannot cover all riser designs.

this extra energy means that the Covert has a little more letoff feeling (for the sake of a term)
to give you some kind of comparative values.
conventional bows pull about 2.1lbs of weight gain at the back end of the draw.
the hex6 BB2 or 6.5 pulls about 1.6lbs for the same draw weight/length/spec of bow
while the hex7s will pull about 1.1lbs
the covert hunter is closer to 1lbs.

hope this gives some sort of scale to it all.

Andrewlaw22

Thanks. So in summary I presume the draw force curve line for a HEX7 H ILF theoretically would be between the covert hunter HEX7 H and the Hex6 BB2 on the DFCs?

the difference is about 3-4% more stored energy in the Covert Hunter, even when the limb bolts are tight down on an ILF.
the reason is the deflex.
with more deflex you can run a lower BH relative to the limbs. this allows us to play with the limbs design more.

with ILF you have to cut some of these ideas back a little, as you cannot cover all riser designs.

this extra energy means that the Covert has a little more letoff feeling (for the sake of a term)
to give you some kind of comparative values.
conventional bows pull about 2.1lbs of weight gain at the back end of the draw.
the hex6 BB2 or 6.5 pulls about 1.6lbs for the same draw weight/length/spec of bow
while the hex7s will pull about 1.1lbs
the covert hunter is closer to 1lbs.

hope this gives some sort of scale to it all.
In my imagination, HEX6 ILF should work "better" with bolts fully out. For me, this is similar to the more deflex argument. Is it now different for HEX7 ILF? The first sentence sounds different.

Are there DFCs of HEX7 ILF out there anywhere?