Ive heard a rumour!

BorderBows

Ive heard through a 3rd party that the IFAA are looking to remove carbon longbows (flatbows to us brits) from the LB classes.

Whats folks thoughts on this?

Firstly is the rumour true?
is the possability right in your view?

Craftsman

Now, personally, my idea of a 'Longbow' is the classic English/Welsh/Robin Hood style and one piece of wood construction.
Laminated clone look-a-likes are obviously/probably going to last longer, be more user friendly and possibly easier to manufacture rather than hand-making a classic longbow.
I would also think that they would retain original poundage and shape and not be so much subject to atmospheric conditions as a wholly wooden bow.
I think there is a case for separation of the two distinct types of bow, and heavily on the side of 'genuine longbows' in competition.

I've not heard the rumour and don't know if it is true.

Jimbow

If you look at the proposals on the IFAA web site there are a couple relating to the introduction of a "traditional" bow division which may also effect recurvs as well as flatbows.. Seems like trying to fix what aint broke but thats commitees for you, got do do something to justify your existance.

Jimbow

Should have had a l further look myself> The final proposals are on the site. There is a proposal to limit bow weigth to 60lbs and a complicated one to introduce further bow and archer classes. Competative, recreational. Also some bow classes with glass but no carbon and others where carbon are allowed. Modern vs traditional/historical. So your current rance of flatbows and recurves would pass under the modern classification.

Bylaws - proposal sec 10

BorderBows

Now, personally, my idea of a 'Longbow' is the classic English/Welsh/Robin Hood style and one piece of wood construction.
Laminated clone look-a-likes are obviously/probably going to last longer, be more user friendly and possibly easier to manufacture rather than hand-making a classic longbow.
I would also think that they would retain original poundage and shape and not be so much subject to atmospheric conditions as a wholly wooden bow.
I think there is a case for separation of the two distinct types of bow, and heavily on the side of 'genuine longbows' in competition.

I've not heard the rumour and don't know if it is true.
for most of europe and the US, the english longbow is put in either the trad class or the Primative class. along with other self bow designs.

im asking about the longbow class of IFAA, which for the folks in britain contains the AFB.

Yes the ELB has its on space and is not lumped in with composit bows.

It looks like the proposals have been met with a few complaints. Why another sub devision?