Leaving bows strung or unstrung

duffy

i have heard different people say it is ok to leave your bows strung ready for the next time you shoot them, i have always thought you have to unstring them after shooting.

is there a length of time you can leave them strung up for, or does it depend if you are shooting with the bow ie daily or weekly, or just leaving it and not shooting?

does it effect the recurve if you leave them strung for long period of time?

does it matter what bow it is? for me i am talking about ultra riser hex 4 limbs, and a reiver but what about other border bows

thanks

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
i have heard different people say it is ok to leave your bows strung ready for the next time you shoot them,

is there a length of time you can leave them strung up for,
The only reason people unstring recurves, longbows and the like is because they're too clumsy to carry about or store strung. If it was a compound bow you wouldn't give it a second thought ...

English Bowman

The only reason people unstring recurves, longbows and the like is because they're too clumsy to carry about or store strung. If it was a compound bow you wouldn't give it a second thought ...
You should never leave a longbow strung. (I am talking about an all wood English Longbow or Flatbow here) It will follow the string, and ruin the bow. Some people I know even take their longbows down over lunch, or in extreme cases between ends. I think that's going to far, but if the lunch break is more than 1/2 an hour I'll take the bow down.
Modern bows shouldn't be a problem, I always take them down, but that's just because they're easier to store that way. I never take my recurve down during a lunch break

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
My Border Mirage has been left strung up in one of Arrowheads excellent "full size" recurve bags for several months now. I have no plans of unstringing it if I don't have to :)

duffy

what about leaving it standing up strung, does that effect the end of the limb if is done over a period of time?

where can you get these bags that mean you can carry it around strung up

thanks

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
what about leaving it standing up strung, does that effect the end of the limb if is done over a period of time?

where can you get these bags that mean you can carry it around strung up

thanks
You can get the bags from here:

http://www.arrowheaduk.com/

I leave my bow standing up/lying down etc... no harm to it so far :)