New Border Riser

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I've been lucky enough to be test shooting a prototype CNC ali riser for Border. It's now just about ready for release.

It's good.

Designed initially as a barebow riser it has a natural vertical balance and solid feel. It has many options for adding weight where you like it, with the bespoke weight kit. It also shoots like a dream as a full target rig. Massively cut over centre with good deflex it shoots everything from treetrunks to McKinneys.
This riser is made entirely in house in Scotland. Border have spent 3 years looking at every aspect of what a good riser should be, and combining it with all that's best of their natural materials craftsmanship.

Here's the first one through the anodiser.

- - - Updated - - -

It will come with a Jaeger grip option, or side plates (as in the pic) for shooting off the metal. I understand limb adjustment will be an option too.

Attachments

Darth Tom

Beautiful! I saw some of the prototyping work when I was at Border in January and was very impressed. This deserves to be very successful.

Valkamai

I've been lucky enough to be test shooting a prototype CNC ali riser for Border. It's now just about ready for release.

It's good.

Designed initially as a barebow riser it has a natural vertical balance and solid feel. It has many options for adding weight where you like it, with the bespoke weight kit. It also shoots like a dream as a full target rig. Massively cut over centre with good deflex it shoots everything from treetrunks to McKinneys.
This riser is made entirely in house in Scotland. Border have spent 3 years looking at every aspect of what a good riser should be, and combining it with all that's best of their natural materials craftsmanship.

Here's the first one through the anodiser.

- - - Updated - - -

It will come with a Jaeger grip option, or side plates (as in the pic) for shooting off the metal. I understand limb adjustment will be an option too.
Are all those brass things the weight kit ? with them it's not exactly a looker is it :(

Shame because all the prototype photos were stunning.

JohnK

I think they look good, and they're entirely optional after all.

The riser also shoots very well without any additional weights. I've been lucky enough to try a prototype, and can confirm the shot reaction is excellent. I have to stick a 350gr weight into the centre bushing of my Zenit to get it to behave the same way.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Are all those brass things the weight kit ? with them it's not exactly a looker is it :(

Shame because all the prototype photos were stunning.
They've just put a weight into every available mount point to demonstrate how flexibly it can be set up. In my view it needs no extra weight at all.

Valkamai

Now that looks like i want it to look. Do you know if it would be compatible with a spig zt rest, I can see its got the two holes but would the rear profile be shape compatible ?

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
More that looks like i want it to look. Do you know if it would be compatible with a spig zt rest, I can see its got the two holes but would the rear profile be shape compatible ?

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
Yes, should do. Early prototypes couldn't, but the button area has been reshaped for this.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
So where/when can I get my hands on one of these, how much is it likely to retail for?
Direct from Border, I believe it will retail around ?560. Not bad for a completely handmade product. These are not mass produced but made to order one at a time. Not sure yet of the colours, but the matte finish is mmmmmmm.

Darth Tom

For anyone wondering whether handmade has any relevance in the world of CNC machining, it certainly can. The machine is capable of exacting tolerances but whether the output lives up to that is strongly affected by the skill and care of the CNC operator.

I would add that not all archery manufacturing is done to the level of tolerance you would hope for, and this doesn't just apply to the low end of the market.

ThomVis

I like the solid look and the multitude of stabilizer bushings. Love to see the limb adjustment option. Are those floating head tiller bolts :drool:?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I like the solid look and the multitude of stabilizer bushings. Love to see the limb adjustment option. Are those floating head tiller bolts :drool:?
Yes. The limb can be adjusted for weight/tiller. The adjustment option is ingenious and will allow for slightly twisted limbs.

I like the option with grip side plates. But it will also be popular if there is a wooden border-style grip to order...

So if it made to personal order, will there be an option for individual wishes?
For example the button holes: I would like them (and the clicker-mount) more down, towards grip and more back, move towards the archer. Or is this position the result of some test series? Isn't it more a design question?
Now I can understand Sid's question to target archers about used clicker length on facebook...

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Don't forget this riser has been through years of work, through concept, CAD modelling, FE analysis, test shooting. Holes create weakness. Moving them around may not be a good idea. Sid has always said to me that nothing is on this bow that doesn't serve a purpose. Beauty through design.

No doubt. I have enough technical understanding for that. Have a look to the sight mounting holes on the other side - for them there was a solution. Yes not the best or quite beautiful position, but the only one possible. A compromise due to main design.
Believe my toughts don't come from somewhere.

In a german forum the designer (nickname is Kosmo) of the Vanquish riser published during the development the status with CAD-pictures and FE-analysis like borderbows has done. He studied mechanical engineering and the thread in that forum was full of technical discussions and exlpainations as design questions too. I followed that from beginning there for the Vanquish and here for the Tempest.
The concept of Vanquish was originally to use it for olym. recurve, now it is popular for barebows too.
There were a lot of ideas behind, new tiller-system, little less deflex to get more energy into conventional limbs, solid and the adjustable arrow rest with button. The last item was copied from the recurve risers of manufacturer OK now known for his compound bows.
That's the point, if there is rotation motion during aiming and during the shot when the arrow has still contact to the string, an arrow rest that is as near the pivot point as (mechanical) possible causes less failure. The impact of the motion is not as big as with arrow rests further away.
Borderbows advertises with the deflex on one side because of the brace height and on the other side that it will be more stable so rotation motions are minimized. Okay.
The geometric center of the Tempest is right at the pivot point, right? That's the usual position for longbows and recurvebows. So the arrow sits above - off center. So the upper limb is bend more (the lever of riser and limb is shorter). That is why the bow needs a tiller because the buttom limb has to have more force. Borderbows produce their limbs with inbuild tiller.
But with a high rest postion the bow also needs tendencial more tiller because the buttom lever gets longer during upper lever gets shorter.
Most archer don't know that the lever length difference also is the cause of the nock travel at long- and recurvebows. The nock has a vertical movement during draw and of course during shot which is normal but inbuild due to construction.
(source: Dr. James L. Park, book: Archery Technology - An engineer's view)
Again, higher arrow rest causes more vertical nock travel. Maybe for stringwalking it's a feature, for olym. recurve it's not - there it's a bug.

If there is a technical explaination for the shown button position, please let me/us known.
The position seems to be fixed quite early if you look to the Versions. So I can't understand why they are asking now about clicker lengths.