What's the difference?

Skippy

Sorry if this has been discussed several million times before.

I'm looking at getting new limbs and I'm trying to understand the difference between Hex 4's/5's and CXG's. I currently have 36lb TXGs, but I'm looking at going to longer limbs to give me a 72" bow (if that is worthwhile) and increase the poundage to about 40lbs or so.

If I can get my head around what the differences are then I might be able to finally get around to ordering the limbs.

Any help would be welcome.

Cheers.

DHBowman

Hi skippy

Hex4/5 are faster and more stable limbs, Sid will know this Im just having an educated guess

A 72" bow is really only worthwhile if you have a draw length greater than 30 -31" but of course anyone correct me if im wrong. So if its less than that I wouldnt really bother.

If you do then judging from the poundage limbs you have you are holding around 40lb on your fingers, which with the right limb arrow combination ie what you have TXBs and some ace you shouldnt have a problem hitting 90m - 100yrds. However if you want some new limbs I would recommend the CXB/CXG they are fast and very smooth to pull.

I would give border a phone and they should be able to help

Hope this helps

James

Skippy

Thanks for the response.

My drawlength is currently around 31.5", so the longer limbs shoudl be just about ok.

As I have the limb bolts wound up I currently have 44.5lbs in the fingers. However even with that I am only just getting a sight mark at 100 yds. Problem with using x10's I guess. I think that I will be going back to ACE's next time, as I can't convince myself that I have seen any benefit from them.

rusty craine

The shape of the recurve is different. The Hex 5s have more hook toward the tip. This means the string lifts off the limb a little later in the draw. The CXG have more of an old school timing as the string lifts off the recurve (not exactly but nearer the older Hoyt Gold Medalist limbs feel). We are really talking (IMO) about small differences in feel. the feel is most evident thru the clicker. I think to take full advantage of the Border limb shape ya need to have your draw lenght tuned to the sweet spot. It could be that the Hex 5 have a longer area in the clicker making the sweet spot easier to hit with different draw lenghts.

For me personally (a stringwalker) when I get the CXG tuned to my draw and the limbs sweet spot (tuned over the chronograph), they are my favorite target limbs but I don't have a pair of HEX 5 GenII. I do have pair of the HEX 5 Gen I (45# longs) on a DAS Elite 21" riser that makes a hunter kit "ne plus ultra". With the BH dialed in the 21" riser puts the Hex 5 gen I right in the sweet spot. I shoot the rig 3under.

Both the CXG and the HEx 5 are stable as a naval gun platform.

I don't know if the above is what Borders thinks are not :). At least it is what a half-wit old geezer thinks about the limbs. they are by far my favorite limbs.

rusty

rusty craine

hmmm, did not make the point I started out to post :) getting old and wandering (or wondering). the point is unless you have various lenght risers and strings ya want to go pretty close with Borders recommendation. You do want to get your rig shooting in the limbs sweet spot. You will be much happier and your scores will reflect the stability built into Borders limbs

rusty