Howard Hill Bows

Status
Not open for further replies.

celticmatt

Hi all
I shoot a AFB for field (Falco Trophy) and am very pleased with it. However do you fickle knowledgable lot think there is any credence in the Hill view that a straight limbed AFB is much better for hunting (ie field shooting) as opposed to a reflex/deflex style longbow. I know it is meant to be better for throwing a heavy arrow and that is more suitable for hunting than 3D but I like to keep my kit as close to hunting ready as possible.

JohnK

Sorry for chiming in, but I'm intrigued to know why a straight-limbed bow would necessarily be better at shooting a heavier arrow. What is the logic behind that, do you know?

celticmatt

I was hoping you could tell me, but I believe it is to do with more stability hence more accuracy, a straight limb only producing a pulling force as opposed to a pulling and pushing force of a recurve or some gumph!

BorderBows

Push/pull!

the idea about push pull is simple. Take a car and trailer. You can pull a trailer till you run out of fuel and it will follow forever! but push it without extra stability and it will give you issues.
When at brace height with a R/D bow there can be a % of the limb behind, the tip, this is the part that is being pushed back. there is a point where that forward portion passes the forward point and becomes a pull. The more of the limb thats behind the tip thought the draw the more unstable to bow is. This neednt be the case with R/D bows, in that a bow with continous curve is being pulled all the way though the draw, and it never gets near a push state unless the bow has 2-3" brace height. There are some recurves which are mainly pull as the recurve opens up really early meaning less stability is needed in the limb but the recurve doesnt act like a cam as well.

Hope that helps... not an easy one to clarify in text with out a diagram or two...

celticmatt

Very good explaination, thanks. Do Border produce anything resembling a Hill style, or is the current thinking that it is just too inefficient?
p.s.
Gumph is a cool word, kind of like snafflecock but try and get that in an everyday conversation!

BorderBows

First of all, all our flat bows have a continous curve which means they are as stable as any howard hill style.
We have the most R/D bow in our stable called the Harrier (continious curve when strung) then the Griffon/Falcon/Osprey which is Carbon/Glass/Both Constructions respectivly, Then the Merlin/Kestral/Hunter which is our flatest/most traditional design in out flock.

See this link for an idea.

Border Archery

This bow most resembles the hill image, grip style and shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.