weird arrow break.................

Status
Not open for further replies.

payneib

Supporter
Supporter
well there goes another one, thats three out of 12 now.

Whereas the other two that i've killed were fairly obvious, (one broke by being hit with another, the other broke as a result of slowing down rapidly on collision with the first.........) this one, i dont know why it broke.

First arrow of tonight, drew back, took aim, released........OUCH!!!!!! the fletchings went right, the pointy end went left and my upper arm was killing me!!!

When i went to collect, the arrow(s?) had travelled about 5 feet forward, and 30 feet to the left and right, the break being literally mms in front of the fletchings. It put me right off my stride for the rest of the night.

Any ideas what would cause an arrow to explode in my face? It wasn't a new one or anything, so i trusted it.

payneib

Supporter
Supporter
Got a pic of the break?
will do tomorrow, but in short, it's basically straight through about 3/4 of the way, before "shelving off" (best description i could think of) but there was plenty of shrapnel too, little tiny bits that went everywhere, not two obvious peices.

jb.68

A pic would be good, but I'd guess that in that position and from the description that it has gone on a weakened part of the arrow. I'm guessing a stress fracture. Have you shot it much?

payneib

Supporter
Supporter
A pic would be good, but I'd guess that in that position and from the description that it has gone on a weakened part of the arrow. I'm guessing a stress fracture. Have you shot it much?
yeah alot. my biggest fear was that the others were gonna go too, took me a few ends to start opening my eyes on loose again!!! lol

jb.68

Just check all your arrows. you are looking for something that looks like a crack across the grain of the arrow. They may not be that obvious or that big and may just appear to be a crack in the varnish of your arrow.

WideBoy

Are you using these with a new (higher poundage) bow, or have you changed / lengthened your draw length and anchor point at all on your current bow? If you have a small stress fracture or other flaw in the arrow it might not have become apparent until you put an extra couple of pounds behind it....

English Bowman

I'll go with the theory that the arrow had been damaged on a previous shot, and broke on the stress fracture or crack caused then. As said before it's always worth checking your arrows before putting them back into the quiver, especially if you've missed the target as you don't know what it might have hit, or if you have grouped well and your arrow may have been hit by another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.