Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Discuss welsh yew at the Traditional Bows within Archery Interchange UK Forums; John, I was not going to post here anymore, but you will not just leave ...
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    John, I was not going to post here anymore, but you will not just leave it will you.
    wether it was twice or 4 times. it is of no consequence, what is however is your attitude towards me, now my memory may not be that good as i forgot i had met you 4 times, so please enlighten me as to what i may have done to upset you i the 1st place as i cannot think of a thing.

with regards Nick B's post.
    Well as you have already said, i am a salesman and all this is, is salesmans patter, as you would like to put it. Every item has a warranty and yes it is still possible to break an Italian yew bow, every bow is different, due to a broken nock, i only said that it is less likeley to happen than if it was english or american.

however you must have trawled through pages of threads to find that, and you still think people are not going to think you are purposely trying to discredit me

Steve
    Cheers Steve

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only £1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Green
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesjem View Post
    John, I was not going to post here anymore, but you will not just leave it will you.
    wether it was twice or 4 times. it is of no consequence, what is however is your attitude towards me, now my memory may not be that good as i forgot i had met you 4 times, so please enlighten me as to what i may have done to upset you i the 1st place as i cannot think of a thing.

with regards Nick B's post.
    Well as you have already said, i am a salesman and all this is, is salesmans patter, as you would like to put it. Every item has a warranty and yes it is still possible to break an Italian yew bow, every bow is different, due to a broken nock, i only said that it is less likeley to happen than if it was english or american.

however you must have trawled through pages of threads to find that, and you still think people are not going to think you are purposely trying to discredit me

Steve
    @ stevesjem sorry is was bored so i looked on lots of archery forums with the user name stevesjem. i do not know any of you personally. but stevesjem you posts here and also on PA (primitivearcher where i think because of you and someothers the english warbow thread there got almost closed). I quote stevesjem from the post on PA,

stevesjem

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Is the War Bow thread worth keeping on PA
    ę Reply #17 on: 15 January 2009, 11:24:45 Ľ
    Hi everyone,
    Yes i am guilty of losing my cool occasionally and for this I apologise to all readers of this section, I am very passionate about the English warbow and may sometimes let my passion run wild, especially when I feel someone is trying to discredit my work.
    I will in future refrain from losing it completely and will ask anyone out there who has an issue with me or Italian Yew to contact me via PM to discuss the issues and not to openly deal with them on the forum.

Again many apologies for my recent outbursts.

Cheers

Steve

as far as i have see you continue to take things very personnally every time someone says something that does not agree with you and you attack people every time by the way it looks even when they try to discuss with you and ask for proof you have almost every time failed to give this and choose to attack the person. I could post some more posts from you, but choose not to as you may take it personnally. But it seems that you have not learned a thing on how to behave on forums and try to, respekt and discuss topics to the end without being like a littel girl and crying if someone says something that does not fit to what you have posted.

From what i have read no one here was trying to discredit you, it looks like you are doing that yourself all on your own.

why would someone need to pm if they have an issue with you or a problem with Italian Yew as you asked on PA. lets discuss things openly not behind closed doors.

i have looked at your webside stevesjem, 3000m+ Italian YEW does not exist this has also been an issue on PA from what i see and read there, looks like you have feet and meters mixed up. At this point i would like to say a friend of me knows poletti very well they do horse archery together. Mr. poletti does not speak English very well or German, but Italian and hungarian which is then quite hard to talk to him. i have seen his yew and some german swiss yew the Italian yew is full of knots i am not saying that it is bad yew. But a the friend of me who knows poletti very well gets yew from him to build his own bows and also use German swiss yew. he says they are all good so i think if someone knows what to look for when getting yew English yew will be just as good.

Hans
    Last edited by Hans Wurst; 02-02-09 at 09:53 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Steve, I donít know how many times I have to say it, donít take this so personal. Any comments towards you are in retaliation to comments you have made toward me. This is and always has been about the wood. You cannot expect to make comments about me on an open forum and think that I will not respond. As to trawling through stuff to discredit you, I am a member of P/A and that thread is something I read at the time. So call it what you like, but once a comment is out there, it is out there and it can come back to bite you when you contradict yourself.

i only said that it is less likeley to happen than if it was english or american.
    No no, you were quite specific that it WOULD survive anything you can throw at it.

Taxus Boccata (Italian), Damage the sap wood, bow will be fine, break the string still won't break, covered in knots, still no problem even to very heavy weights, remove the sap wood completely if you wish and still no problems.

So there you have it, if you want something that will be reliable and will take anything you can throw at it without it breaking then Italian is the way to go. You know as I do.

So, are we done slinging mud? As I say if you want to discuss the timber any further but with out the slanging match then fine, otherwise I am done here.

jb
    si vis pacem, para bellum

In the Green
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Having just read through all of this topic as it started off very interesting all I can say is, If only all of that passion could be pulled together instead of pulling against each other we could have every able lad from the age of 7 interested in drawing the bow again! As a newcomer to the Sport as well as the forum it makes me feel sad that some of the most knowledgeable people on the subject of heavy/warbows cannot seem to find any common ground.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I don't know - I think there's a lot to be said for not having agreement. Shows that there's debate happening and people aren't content to accept received 'wisdom'.

What'd be nice would be if it were simply debate without the personal comments.

In the Green
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Healthy debate is always good. This thread unfortunately deviated from that slightly. I can understand the passion felt by people that strongly believe in what they are saying and agree wholeheartedly that other people have the right to disagree. It still think it is a shame when the people doing the bickering are such prominant people in the traditional Heavy/Warbow scene. Surely the promotion and furthering of traditional bow shooting is what is important to all of us involved?

In the Blue I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Yew

Gentlemen,
    I have read this thread from the start with much intrest.
    I don't wish to cause any more upset, I'm not stating an opinion, just asking questions of more learned people.
    Do you not think the climate here in England (and probably equally so in the rest of Europe was more suited to growing yew for bows 500-600 years ago? We all heard in history lessons about the thames freezing over and things like that in times gone by.
    Secondly.
    Do you think archers at Crecy or on the Mary Rose knew or cared whether their bow was 140 lbs or 160 lbs? Were lbs even a unit of measure then, and did anyone have scales capable of checking? Or did they just say well, my bow is slightly heavier than Fred's but not as heavy as Bert's but what the hell it can still kill a Frenchy at 300 paces.
    Regards to you all
    Dreadnaught

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught
    it can still kill a Frenchy at 300 paces.
    .....but could it..........another debate.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Were lbs even a unit of measure then, and did anyone have scales capable of checking?
    Yes the lb was used. From at least the early 14th century. Well before Agincourt, centuries before the Mary Rose and at least a few decades before Crecy. I imagine they had scales capable of weighing them, since merchants traded in everything from precious metals to grain and wool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Do you think archers at Crecy or on the Mary Rose knew or cared whether their bow was 140 lbs or 160 lbs? Or did they just say well, my bow is slightly heavier than Fred's but not as heavy as Bert's but what the hell it can still kill a Frenchy at 300 paces.
    I'm pretty sure they knew and cared. These bows didn't last forever and the men shot them for a living. And to keep living. What kind of rank amateur would think of his weapon 'oh well it's a bit heavier than his but lighter than his'? They were, to some extent at least, professional soldiers. They lived hundreds of years ago but they weren't cretins. If they had the chance to know how heavy their bow was I'm quite sure they would take it, and bow making being such an industry, I suspect that bowyers and armourers knew how heavy the bows were.

In the Gold
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alanesq View Post
    I happen to know that Steve has refused to even sell a finished bow to at least one person because he didn't want it to be just used as an ornament
    Bloody right as well!

How dare anyone buy a finished YEW bow and then mount the bloody thing as an ornament!

Get the damn thing off the mount and put an arrow on its string, warm it up and shoot the bloody thing!

Its a bow, a bloody weapon of war, not a piece of china. Don't treat it as a piece of china.

(I feel very, very strongly about this).

Were I privileged enough, interested enough, strong enough and paid enough to afford a YEW bow (any YEW), I would definitely shoot the damn thing all the time and so would my husband (who does actually shoot a longbow but it isn't yew - one day he'll have one, but not yet).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Why, because there's some magical quality about yew (or YEW, if capitalising it makes it somehow different)? Care to enlighten us about what makes a yew bow so infinitely fine? Is it just history or do you have some evidence that says it's better than any other wood or combination of wood? Any yew, that is, not necessarily a decent quality yew as used by bowyers.

Do you object to people having antique swords as ornaments? Or flintlock pistols? Do you basically object to using anything as an ornament that has some other purpose? Or is it just yew longbows? Is it perhaps because one is allowed to shoot them that one should have to?

On which topic, you say it's a weapon of war. Presumably therefore your objection applies only to warbows or even to lighter bows in the style of the warbow. The Victorian style target bow, which was never intended for war would be permissible as an ornament or not? How similar does something need to be to make it unacceptable as an ornament?

Personally I wouldn't have a longbow as an ornament, but only because I don't think it is as aesthetically pleasant as some other weapons. If I like the look of a longbow I see nothing wrong with having one as an ornament. I love the history of it but having tried shooting longbow I decided it wasn't for me. Why shouldn't I have one as an ornament?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    What's wrong with using a YEW bow at the weekend and hanging it on the wall for the rest of the week?
    Definition of an expert :-
    X = an unknown quantity.Spurt = a drip under pressure.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    That's not what people did 600 years ago! When not being shot it should be carried through France in the pi$$ing rain!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I'm back, while everyone has continued arguing I made a bow from the worst possible bit of manky English Yew (ok not a longbow) and it's fine.
    My point is that many peoply may be put off trying English Yew because of blanket statements which they read and hear.
    It is a shame to disscourage people from trying their hand at bow making, and to answer some one's earlier question, what is special about Yew. It makes a fine bow, follows the string less and is less prone to chrysal than such common woods as Ash.
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

In the Green
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Hi guys,
    Just joined this forum after finding this thread on a random search about yew. I have been an archer and bowyer for many years and have, occasionally, used yew staves. There is a lot of mis-information about yew staves so I hope I can contribute something useful. What makes a good self bow stave, from whichever wood is governed by location and altitude. The higher up a tree grows the slower it grows and therefore denser the ring pattern. Trees that grow in churchyards are generally those with spreading limbs and during there growth they tend to twist and bend. Alpine yew frequently grows in dense forests and due to the proximity of other trees they grow tall and straight with very little twist.
    My friend Celestino Poletti, an Italian bowyer, makes very good yew bows from staves sourced in the Italian and Swiss Alps.
    Danceswithbunnies may have sufficient wood for 3 or 4 bows if the wood is clear and straight. They need to be air dried for at least 18months with the ends sealed to prevent splitting. With good quality staves costing as much as £250 I would keep one and sell the others!
    Good luck

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011