Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Discuss welsh yew at the Traditional Bows within Archery Interchange UK Forums; If you consider a working bow to be somehow a better use of wood than ...
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    If you consider a working bow to be somehow a better use of wood than an ornament then great. Could be a dangerous line to take. I'm pretty good with a recurve barebow but not much cop with a longbow. I use one occasionally to decorate the range grass with pretty arrows... So can I buy a decent bow as a toy to play with occasionally?

Of course people are more important than money. But if my grandad loves longbows without being able to draw one, can I get him one for his birthday if he's just going to have it to touch and maybe hang on the wall?

As I say, nothing wrong with taking that view, but it's not the only possibility.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alanesq View Post
    I fully agree (I wasn't implying its a bad thing)
    I admire him for doing this - all most people seem to think of these days is money :-(

Although having said that I realise the irony as I am sat below my Italian yew bow which has so far just hung on the wall :-(
    I have been waiting to get strong enough but I think its time to give in and have it reduced in weight and get using it !

Sorry, it did seem like i was aiming that at you, i must apologise, i wasn't at all, just venting off a little steam i think!

How far off your Italian Yew bow are you strength wise? I think it would be great to have one there just like you do as a target to work towards, i wish i had one! However, if like you say you don't think reaching that strength is feasible then maybe you are right!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    ChakaZulu:That would be up to Steve to decide, all I am saying is that to find someone who is not just thinking of profit these days is very refreshing and commendable

fearny: That's ok, I didnt take offence just wanted to make it clear I wasn't criticising Steve for this

My bow is 165lb at 32" - I had originally wanted 140 but then a friend convinced me to go for 150 and then a 165 came up for grabs early (as there was a long waiting list for these bows) so I decided to get this one in the hope that I would one day manage to pull it

I can now pull 146lbs at 32" (just-I know this because when my 140lb bow has just been strung this is what it takes to get to full draw) but this bow 26" is the best I can manage
    The problem is of course that if I have it reduced there is always the chance that in a year I will want a heavier one, but if I dont then I may never get to use it - catch22 ;-)
    but its been a long time now and when you get to your limit 5lbs is a very big step so 20lbs is a VERY big one

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChakaZulu View Post
    If you consider a working bow to be somehow a better use of wood than an ornament then great. Could be a dangerous line to take. I'm pretty good with a recurve barebow but not much cop with a longbow. I use one occasionally to decorate the range grass with pretty arrows... So can I buy a decent bow as a toy to play with occasionally?

Of course people are more important than money. But if my grandad loves longbows without being able to draw one, can I get him one for his birthday if he's just going to have it to touch and maybe hang on the wall?

As I say, nothing wrong with taking that view, but it's not the only possibility.
    Not at all, i'm not saying no-one should ever have one as an ornament or a display piece. But yes i do think if High Altitude Italian Yew truly is rare then i think it's an incredible shame to waste it as such. I admire Steve for taking a stand against what would appear to be all business sense.

If you just want an ornament why not use any wood? A wood that isn't in such short supply. I don't think you need to be any good to have one, its just the fact that it's being used.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alanesq View Post
    My bow is 165lb at 32" - I had originally wanted 140 but then a friend convinced me to go for 150 and then a 165 came up for grabs early (as there was a long waiting list for these bows) so I decided to get this one in the hope that I would one day manage to pull it

I can now pull 146lbs (just) but this bow 26" is the best I can manage
    The problem is of course that if I have it reduced there is always the chance that in a year I will want a heavier one, but if I dont then I may never get to use it - catch22 ;-)
    but its been a long time now and when you get to your limit 5lbs is a very big step so 20lbs is a VERY big one

Hmmm, i see what you are saying, i'm not sure what i'd do! Probably do as you said and have it weakened slightly and just hope i didn't progress past it!

I'm not even sure what i'll get as my first bow, i wouldn't buy an Italian Yew first off thats for sure, i need to find a nearby beginners course to do first off and see what i can deal with. Just wish i was closer to a few people that shoot!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    ok I give in, I will not post or visit here anymore, it seems I am blasted for whatever I say, so I leave you all to your own world. I thank Alan and fearmy for writing what they did, cheers guys.
    This wood has never been about money to me, it was about bringing something back that was missing for many years, however due to a few bitter people, not necessarily on this forum, I seem to get it in the neck, so like I said I give up, but I shall continue my work and reseach into this wood
    Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers Steve

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast