Arrow choices for clout?

Zhoo Zhoo

I'm just getting some arrows ready for trying out clout shooting next weekend. I'll be using my Del the Cat bow as it has a bit more welly than my Bickerstaffe but is still comparatively light at 40#

So I have the following in stock:

• 5/16 shafts spine 20-30
  • 5/16 shafts spine 30-35
  • 50gn points
  • 80gn points
  • 100gn points
  • 1 5/8" feathers
  • 3" feathers
  • 4" feathers

What combination would you use?

Thanks,
Sue

D

Deleted member 7654

I'd guess is 30-35 spine 80gn points 1 5/8 feathers.
BUT you may find that with the smaller fletchings and light point you may want the softer shaft.
Best way is to make up one of each shaft but with the the same point and fletching to see which settles in flight quickest, or which hits straightest at say 10 yards.
If you have somewhere suitable you can also test for distance.
I'd guess that going to 50gn points isn't going to gain much as odd 30gn is V little compared with the overall weight of the arrow and may loose some stability/momentum.
Del

Zhoo Zhoo

Thanks Del, I don't have anywhere to test for distance before the day (which is why we're having to go to another club for a tryout) but I can do the 10 yard straightness test at the club this week. Then I'll have my work cut out to make the rest before the weekend.... then I guess it will be launch and hope... that'll be fun. I'll probably end up taking a selection of all the arrows I already have as well just to see how far each one goes.

Sue

bobnewboy

At 40lb draw weight I would go to 9/32 inch diameter shafts. Then use 63 grain piles and 2 inch fletches.

Zhoo Zhoo

At 40lb draw weight I would go to 9/32 inch diameter shafts. Then use 63 grain piles and 2 inch fletches.
That sounds like a good combination, I could try that another time, but where do you get 63 grain piles from for a 9/32 shaft? I had to make do with what I could easily get at Quicks today.

bobnewboy

See Carol at carolarchery.com, in Stoke D'Abernon, Surrey. She has shafts, nocks and piles to suit, going down to 23 grains for 9/32 piles.

Zhoo Zhoo

I'd guess is 30-35 spine 80gn points 1 5/8 feathers.
BUT you may find that with the smaller fletchings and light point you may want the softer shaft.
Best way is to make up one of each shaft but with the the same point and fletching to see which settles in flight quickest, or which hits straightest at say 10 yards.
If you have somewhere suitable you can also test for distance.
I'd guess that going to 50gn points isn't going to gain much as odd 30gn is V little compared with the overall weight of the arrow and may loose some stability/momentum.
Del
Del you were right, the 30-35 shaft with the 80gn and 1 5/8 feathers went straight down the line at our 9m range, the lighter spine veered off left all the time strangely. So I'm making up a quick half dozen for the weekend and will give them a go.
Sue

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
You want as little drag as possible so small fletches are going to be the first choice and then if you are using a lightweight pile go for the lesser spine. The only time you are going to suffer is if you are shooting into a very strong headwind.
Weigh your shafts as there may be a big difference between batches with the same spine. Again use the lightest so you get better initial velocity which means you have a little to play with when it comes to elevation.